hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 291 of 291 FirstFirst ... 191241281288289290291
Results 5,801 to 5,817 of 5817

Thread: War Thunder - Attack of the P-40 G-AY Hawk

Have been giving this a go in the face of WOWS being shit, but the big question I have is: how important are crew skills? I am currently getting owned by everything either hit and killed from invisible enemies or I cannot get the reticle to settle for a good shot prior to getting glibbed.

No matter the nation at low tier I'm finding it quite frustrating. Add I the occasional lucky bounce on target and I'm not finding it enjoyable.
    Shitting up eve for .... well, longer than most of you scumbags.

Quote Originally Posted by Smegs View Post
    Have been giving this a go in the face of WOWS being shit, but the big question I have is: how important are crew skills? I am currently getting owned by everything either hit and killed from invisible enemies or I cannot get the reticle to settle for a good shot prior to getting glibbed.

No matter the nation at low tier I'm finding it quite frustrating. Add I the occasional lucky bounce on target and I'm not finding it enjoyable.
    what game mode and tiers are you playing?

in RB, crew skills are very good but not necessary. Mostly you want weapon realoading, driving and repair speed. Gunnery has no noticeable effect except at very long range on very innacurate guns.

To give you an idea, I played at top tier for a long time with crew skills in the 10-30 range as I grinded the whole russian tree a long time ago playing sim battle with a single crew. You might notice enemy tanks replacing dead crews fast if they have a very high level crew but for all intents and purposes the most important factors are knowledge of maps, of weakspots and tanks you will face.

You also want to understand the meta game a bit, some BR range are very very lopsided and can feel terrible if you keep fighting tanks that are very strong meta wise not knowing the situation.

give me a bit more context and I can be a bit more specific :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Baarhyn View Post

in RB, crew skills are very good but not necessary. Mostly you want weapon realoading, driving and repair speed. Gunnery has no noticeable effect except at very long range on very innacurate guns.

To give you an idea, I played at top tier for a long time with crew skills in the 10-30 range as I grinded the whole russian tree a long time ago playing sim battle with a single crew. You might notice enemy tanks replacing dead crews fast if they have a very high level crew but for all intents and purposes the most important factors are knowledge of maps, of weakspots and tanks you will face.

You also want to understand the meta game a bit, some BR range are very very lopsided and can feel terrible if you keep fighting tanks that are very strong meta wise not knowing the situation.

As far as BR goes, I'm still at the low tiers, with nothing higher than 3.2, my map knowledge is non existent but being a sneaky cunt I prefer shooting the sides and rear when given half the chance but I'm finding it difficult to even sneak up and get a killing shot without being sniped from miles away... I had to take 5 shots to kill a crusader with a stud this evening and even then the first shot the opposition took at me knocked out the driver rendering me useless....

Quote Originally Posted by Baarhyn View Post

As far as BR goes, I'm still at the low tiers, with nothing higher than 3.2, my map knowledge is non existent but being a sneaky cunt I prefer shooting the sides and rear when given half the chance but I'm finding it difficult to even sneak up and get a killing shot without being sniped from miles away... I had to take 5 shots to kill a crusader with a stud this evening and even then the first shot the opposition took at me knocked out the driver rendering me useless....
    okay, quick tip, spend a minute after a game to check the protection analysis of the enemy you faced ( go on the research tree, click the tank you want to check, click preview, click armor, click protection analysis). Check the tanks you fight the most with the shells you're using to find weak spots.

Do the same with your tank using the shells/tank you're getting shot by.

Germany 3.0 is gonna be real rough. You'll face alot of t-34 that you will have trouble dealing with until you get the pz4 f2. The weak spot for those is mostly the turret cheeks.

If you are playing RB, go into options, sound, and turn Other players engine to 100%. It's a bit cheesy, but it will give you a MASSIVE situational awareness boost. Low tier players tend not to do it either so you'll creep up on people much more frequently and will hear people about to turn corners or on side streets adjacent to you.

Germany has a good 4.7 and a good 5.7, between those it's pretty sparce as you'll get dragged into higher BR matches once you hit 3.7 or 4.0.

Also, compared to WOW or WOT, you can simply play lower tiered tank and skip vehicules you don't want to play. Research is optimal for any vehicule one tier up or down compared to what you're playing. This means that if you have a strong 3.3 lineup, you can unlock tanks to 5.7 without playing any of them if you don't want to and then make the jump straight up.

If I was you, i'd try to unlock the pz4 F2 asap, then build a lineup around it with the pz3 L and M, marder III and stuh 42g. I'd probably stay there until you can field a lineup around the pz4g, jagdpanzer IV, hetzer, ostwind.

You don't need a full 4 tanks lineup, but normally having 2 is probably better else you'll just end up dying fast in an unupgraded top tier tank than get smashed in your under BR'ed filler.

For maps, it really depends. I personally tend to spawn in the spawn where no one else spawns and try to flank but I know the layouts and normal attack paths. If you see a dude scoring alot of kills in a game, once it's over, click on the envelope at the bottom right, find said battle in the battles section, and click on view server replay. Follow the dude around and see where he went. More experienced players tend to find more advantageous positions so you can learn good spots quick that way.

It's kinda crucial to learn weakspots and angles though so I think your no.1 priority should be to spend some time in the protection analysis. You'll start seeing patterns pretty quick too, like russian turret cheeks, sherman machine gun ports and angled side armor and so on. Once you're over that hump it's mostly a question of noticing exceptions and working around that.

Also in doubt, shoot the gun barrel. It'll give you time to breath and figure out your next move.

Leg-fucking-end. Thank you for the information. But even with running graphics as low as I consider relative, I'm still getting cheese even when hiding in (apparently ) non existent bushes . Will take the advice on board and see how it goes.

Leg-fucking-end. Thank you for the information. But even with running graphics as low as I consider relative, I'm still getting cheese even when hiding in (apparently ) non existent bushes . Will take the advice on board and see how it goes.
    well you will eventually get very good at spotting shit through bushes and so on. The thing is that you don't know the maps yet so your eyes don't pick up on things that are not standard yet. You're probably pretty visible or somebody had eyes on you for a while waiting for a good shot.

If you want to be harder to spot, go for shade. Most graphics settings make it pretty hard to see a tank on the side of a building in shade and if you don't move, you'll get alot of people literally driving next to you.

If you're by or behind a bush in direct sunlight, it's actually not that hard to spot people as you'll be showing sharp edges in an otherwise broken bush sight picture and you might get some minor reflection and contrast with the background. The eye is really good at spotting movement, contrast and sharp edges so you want to reduce those in that order.

You can also pay a few bucks to buy a couple of bushes in the customization tool. They don't make a huge difference but some smaller tanks all bushed up can be fucking hard to spot. They can also hide weakspots and make you less of a box.

edit: not that there is zero dudes with cheats and/or ultra low quality settings to help, but those are pretty few and far between in my experience.
    Last edited by Baarhyn; May 17 2019 at 09:37:39 PM.

Oh, two other settings thing.

1) Options, main parameters, tank battle settings, disable grass in tank sights and camera from tank gunner sight (that one should be off by default but just check.)

With that you don't really need to put your setting at low. I play at almost max everything except particule density (it helps on a few map with fog/sand storms, if it's up you can't see shit through it)

2) Options, graphics, bottom left PostFX Settings, Tone mapping to reinhard. It makes the contrast a bit better. I don't use it personnally but it's a common small trick.

edit:

a third: Options, tank, Camera control Mouse wheel (tank) to sight distance control. Mouse wheel multiplier (tank) to 25%. While you are aiming down sight it gives you range adjusment in about 50 meters increment on the scroll wheel. Use R to range find (it's a skill for your gunner to get it more accurate/fast) and adjust distance with scroll wheel. Makes longer shots easier.

a fourth: It's marginal but it makes you brake a smidge faster. Basically when you press S your driver will shift straight into neutral than into reverse instead of shifting down every gear.

Options, tank, Movement. Turn automatic transmission off, bind the S key to tank transmission gear: neutral, turn automatic transmission back on.
    Last edited by Baarhyn; May 17 2019 at 09:47:10 PM.

I'm playing again here and there, anyone still active and care to team up? (left the FAILH squadron a long time ago because I was the only one even remotely active in there)

Ingame name is RamfredBailoften
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Yeah i am installing as we speak. Dianeces is doing RB tonks.

I play RB tanks pretty frequently, same name as here. Add me and ping me when you see me online and i'll gladly play.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Jump onboard my TS (ts.helges.net), we organize RB squad battles from there mostly.

Teamspeak! that is still a thing?

Do we have a new type of clan to join, or you guys solo actors now? I play regularly again now tankies RB

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    Not really outside of really stubborn nerds doing their thing and being ridiculous.

StAy SaFe

I pRoTeCc U

aCcIdEnTaLlY bOmBs RaZoR wItH 1000lb

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Not really outside of really stubborn nerds doing their thing and being ridiculous.
    "REEEEEEEEEE"

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post