hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 111 of 791 FirstFirst ... 1161101108109110111112113114121161211611 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 15813

Thread: [PLANES] OKB Sukhoi appreciation fred

Presumably he was recovered safely?

May 1 – An F-16C Fighting Falcon (Serial Number : 88-0550) was shot down by a Yugoslav SA-3 SAM. The aircraft crashes near Šabac, in a rural area of Serbia; the pilot (Lieutenant Colonel David Goldfein) survived and was subsequently rescued.

The remains of the tail of USAF F-16C block 40 #88-0550 which was shot down while performing combat operations during Allied Force. Displayed at the Museum Of Warplanes in Belgrade in 1999.
    Last edited by Tordin Varglund; November 17 2012 at 10:32:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

The video was a bit anti climactic to what I expected. I am rather impressed by how long he still had control and radio and how little he himself was injured (as in, apparently not at all).
    nevar forget

Shows how 'well' they glide too. "9000" "6000" must be dropping about 2000ft per minute. Thats a hefty amount of descent considering still in control/going for best glide. Mind you, its a good deal of metal with short stubby wings and a shitload of damage from a missile. So, there is that.

F-16 glides roughly 1nm for every 1kft of altitude. It also has a limit of about 10min of power to the flight controls once the engine quits and the EPU switches from bleed air to hydrazine.

Hearing that audio is strange, it sounds so much like (well run) Eve comms. The same mix of fragmentary data being pieced together rapidly to build a full picture, people interjecting as the situation changes, momentary confusion, hesitation, and the constant underlying tension once things heat up. Obviously the jargon is different, but I find it absolutely striking how they share so many core similarities.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post
    Hearing that audio is strange, it sounds so much like (well run) Eve comms. The same mix of fragmentary data being pieced together rapidly to build a full picture, people interjecting as the situation changes, momentary confusion, hesitation, and the constant underlying tension once things heat up. Obviously the jargon is different, but I find it absolutely striking how they share so many core similarities.
    The best thing (the only good thing?) about eve, in the end. A well oiled killing machine in eve was a thing to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    The best thing (the only good thing?) about eve, in the end. A well oiled killing machine in eve was a thing to behold.
    Indeed. Fleet command is a true player skill.
    nevar forget

-O
    You even got people going "I'm out!" as in a ragequit.

Would love to see similar footage from Russian aircraft where it's understandable. Subtitles or something at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don
    ^robsably aboujt to throw up so goood night failheap IU love you all even you ctrlchris even iuf you keep bnegrrepping me for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by Jurskjeld View Post

-O
    You even got people going "I'm out!" as in a ragequit.

Would love to see similar footage from Russian aircraft where it's understandable. Subtitles or something at least.
    Krasnee siege krasnee siege krasnee siege.

Too many pos killings with -A-

Quote Originally Posted by Izo Azlion View Post
    Shows how 'well' they glide too. "9000" "6000" must be dropping about 2000ft per minute. Thats a hefty amount of descent considering still in control/going for best glide. Mind you, its a good deal of metal with short stubby wings and a shitload of damage from a missile. So, there is that.
    It's nicknamed the lawn dart for a reason.

fuck entrox Donor Jason Marshall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Rudder View Post
    Whats a C-130's glide profile like? For comparison.

Also, leave it to JAPAN to make the F-16 fat.
    Last edited by Jason Marshall; November 18 2012 at 12:53:27 PM.

"Sometimes someone just needs to be the OP" -Tellenta Philosopher of our People.

F-16 is ugly anyway. F-16J is alright.

Edit: Foiled by the master of image tags, the man who's images never fail to work, Razor.

I like the F-16XL:

Last edited by Paradox; November 18 2012 at 01:19:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    F-16 is ugly anyway. F-16J is alright.

F-16XL is ok too.
    quoting fail

fuck entrox Donor Jason Marshall's Avatar
    Carrier based AWACS!

E-2Cs

"Sometimes someone just needs to be the OP" -Tellenta Philosopher of our People.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    F-16 is ugly anyway.
    gtfo
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

Super Maderator DonorGlobal Moderator Hels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marshall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Rudder View Post
    Whats a C-130's glide profile like? For comparison.
    Bad if you're loaded.

However, we have 4 engines. :3

>gliding
    >engines

Also, soviet AWACS prototype:

Yak-44 was supposed to be the Hawkeye's counterpart but you can guess how this went down.

So A-50 is the only russian AWACS in operation:

Last edited by RazoR; November 18 2012 at 03:57:42 PM.

Short-lived British equivalent:

It did the job but the newer carriers didn't operate them, we use helicopters instead now.

And this is the future version, more like a prototype though:

Apparently some American admirals thought it was quite impressive compared to the E2 Hawkeye. Does fly like a brick.
    Last edited by Paradox; November 18 2012 at 03:58:54 PM.

Radar on top: AWACS;
    Radar below: anti-ship craft.

It's that easy folks.