hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 668 of 685 FirstFirst ... 168568618658665666667668669670671678 ... LastLast
Results 13,341 to 13,360 of 13691

Thread: russian planes appreciation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fara View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    It was the first time that I've ever heard the sound of a jet engine and I wont forget that sound. It was glorious!
    Umm...

Where do you live that you've never heard a jet engine before?

Perhaps you are referring to military aircraft, since jet engines are on commercial airliners.
    Do you nerds see/hear military jets that rarely?

Here in swiss you can see them regularly, but then its a small country so oh well.
    Slovenia doesn't have fighter jets. At best they have a Dassault Falcon 2000EX, which is a business jet converted to medical transport. The rest is prop driven.

And even here in Germany hearing fighter jets is rare. Which has a lot to do with a low level flying ban (thanks Ramstein) and most bases being far from cities.

The only time I heard fighter jets growing up was when we still had MiG-29s and they were upgraded in my hometown not 500m from my parents' place. They ended up doing test laps over the city (one wing commander explicitly did that over schools).
    Basically that. And yes Turbo jet enine
    All modern fighters have turbofan engines

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    It was the first time that I've ever heard the sound of a jet engine and I wont forget that sound. It was glorious!
    Umm...

Perhaps you are referring to military aircraft, since jet engines are on commercial airliners.

Here in swiss you can see them regularly, but then its a small country so oh well.
    Slovenia doesn't have fighter jets. At best they have a Dassault Falcon 2000EX, which is a business jet converted to medical transport. The rest is prop driven.

And even here in Germany hearing fighter jets is rare. Which has a lot to do with a low level flying ban (thanks Ramstein) and most bases being far from cities.

The only time I heard fighter jets growing up was when we still had MiG-29s and they were upgraded in my hometown not 500m from my parents' place. They ended up doing test laps over the city (one wing commander explicitly did that over schools).
    They are way louder than on airliners

that's what I was saying. OK?

Quote Originally Posted by pesadelo View Post
    - Smarnca if not trolling , is a complete retard

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph IX Basarab View Post
    In short, you're prime beta.

Umm...

Mate his air force has a total of two turbofan engines to begin with. Let it slide.
    nevar forget

Umm...

Do they?

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-m...s-in-airliners

The main difference between fighter and airliner/bomber turbofans is the bypass ratio. It's much lower for fighters. They also tend to have afterburners. Both these things make them louder. And as they're not required to be designed to be quiet (not operating out of civilian airports near residential areas) they're often quite loud. But the overall structure of operation (gas-turbine engine drives a ducted fan) is the same.

Do they?

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-m...s-in-airliners
    Yes. turboreactor might be the Slovenian word for turbojet but no manned aircraft produced since the early 1970's has had one.

Turbofans are far far more efficient and powerful.

no manned aircraft produced since the early 1970's has had one.
    sup doc

Su-25 is from 1975, that's almost early '70's

And was designed to be cheap and nasty even by the standards of the soviets

>cheap
    >titanium armor
    cool stories mate

Turbojets are used for their ruggedness and relative ease of maintenance.

this is now the Frogfoot appreciation thread

Last edited by RazoR; March 20 2017 at 10:23:36 PM.

Titanium has always been cheap in the soviet union. That's why the Americans set up nested companies to trick the Russians into selling it for the SR-71.

Ah, damn those 60 years of (mostly) peace... Used to be different though - before the reunification we had a canadian and a french german airbase around. During the 1980s low altitude flight down to 500 feet was allowed everywhere, so we got a lot of that, even close to cities.
    Last edited by Ab Tallen; March 20 2017 at 10:31:36 PM.

Titanium has always been cheap in the soviet union. That's why the Americans set up nested companies to trick the Russians into selling it for the SR-71.
    >trick
    or maybe soviets were amused by the idea of an unarmed spy plane and wanted to see if it's viable after U2 shat the bed

iirc boeing was legit buying titanium in 80s
    Last edited by RazoR; March 20 2017 at 10:28:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ab Tallen View Post
    Ah, damn those 60 years of (mostly) peace... Used to be different though - before the german reunification we had a canadian and a french airbase around. During the 1980s low altitude flight down to 500 feet was allowed everywhere, so we got a lot of that, even close to cities.
    This is interesting because in the UK you hear and see typhoons and tornados all the time

I expect it's less because of the altitude limit and more because Germany has limited numbers of operational planes and bigger land area

we are talking about germany here

Why am I always wrong?

e: actually I was right. They are louder

Why am I always wrong?

e: actually I was right. They are louder
    Yeah they are louder

Ah, damn those 60 years of (mostly) peace... Used to be different though - before the german reunification we had a canadian and a french airbase around. During the 1980s low altitude flight down to 500 feet was allowed everywhere, so we got a lot of that, even close to cities.
    This is interesting because in the UK you hear and see typhoons and tornados all the time

I expect it's less because of the altitude limit and more because Germany has limited numbers of operational planes and bigger land area
    Supposedly, there's ~120 Typhoons and ~80 Tornados, but most of the combat training is done in Canada and the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    During the 1960s and 1970s, a very large number of Luftwaffe jet crashes—the Luftwaffe suffered a 36 percent crash rate for F-84F Thunderstreaks and an almost 30 percent loss of F-104 Starfighters—created considerable public demand for moving Luftwaffe combat training centers away from Germany.

why did they crash so much

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Supposedly, there's ~120 Typhoons and ~80 Tornados, but most of the combat training is done in Canada and the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    During the 1960s and 1970s, a very large number of Luftwaffe jet crashes—the Luftwaffe suffered a 36 percent crash rate for F-84F Thunderstreaks and an almost 30 percent loss of F-104 Starfighters—created considerable public demand for moving Luftwaffe combat training centers away from Germany.
    This. They don't get to fly around as much. Quite different for the East German air force, hence the air force base at the outskirts of my hometown. MiG-29 doing a low pass over my school? Hell yeah!
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    why did they crash so much
    They used the Starfighter as a fighter bomber. Which it wasn't built to be but Lockheed sold it as such because we wanted a supersonic fighter bomber.

This however also led to a two engine minimum for German fighter jets.

Btw the loudest thing I've ever heard was at the ILA last year two Tornadoes going full afterburner on the runway some 200m away from me. With brakes engaged.
    nevar forget