hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 765 of 766 FirstFirst ... 265665715755762763764765766 LastLast
Results 15,281 to 15,300 of 15305

Thread: [PLANES] OKB Sukhoi appreciation fred

  1. #15281

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    10,033
    Some of the most cutting-edge weapons in the US's military arsenal can be "easily hacked" using "basic tools"...
    You mean, like by a hachet?

  2. #15282

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    3,969
    I didn't realize the Nacelles were that long.


  3. #15283
    Donor Spawinte's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,382
    Air India plane struck some airport hardware and a wall on takeoff and managed to land safely. Spoilered for long.

      Spoiler:











  4. #15284

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    3,969

  5. #15285

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    3,969
    J-11B




    That looks familiar. I wonder why?

  6. #15286
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    SVN
    Posts
    9,043
    I wonder if they know why planes have wings and cars have tires...



  7. #15287
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    7,499
    Somewhere around a dozen F-22s were destroyed by Hurricane Michael because they were directly in the path of the storm and undergoing maintenance so they couldn't be reclocated. USAF has not confirmed any numbers yet.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/11/u...el-damage.html

    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; October 14 2018 at 01:37:27 PM.

  8. #15288
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    7,499
    A Belgian technician at Florennes Air Base accidentally triggered the vulcan gun on a F-16 he was working on, this was the result






  9. #15289
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    SVN
    Posts
    9,043
    lol

    time to replace it with a better Eurofighter



  10. #15290

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    7,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Somewhere around a dozen F-22s were destroyed by Hurricane Michael because they were directly in the path of the storm and undergoing maintenance so they couldn't be reclocated. USAF has not confirmed any numbers yet.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/11/u...el-damage.html

    Welp.

  11. #15291
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    14,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Somewhere around a dozen F-22s were destroyed by Hurricane Michael because they were directly in the path of the storm and undergoing maintenance so they couldn't be reclocated. USAF has not confirmed any numbers yet.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/11/u...el-damage.html

    Welp.
    22 out of 187 planes declared operational according to wiki.
    nevar forget

  12. #15292
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    SVN
    Posts
    9,043
    so that's 7.4 billion dollars gone?



  13. #15293
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    7,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    so that's 7.4 billion dollars gone?
    Yep and zero chance to be replaced except by some inferior F-35

    It's most likely they'll be salvaged for useable parts but the airframes may be unflyable now.

  14. #15294
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    7,499

  15. #15295
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    14,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    so that's 7.4 billion dollars gone?
    How do you get $7.4b if fly away cost per unit was $150m according to wiki?
    nevar forget

  16. #15296
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    7,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    so that's 7.4 billion dollars gone?
    How do you get $7.4b if fly away cost per unit was $150m according to wiki?
    Wiki is misleading, here's further down:

    In April 2006, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) assessed the F-22's cost to be $361 million per aircraft, with $28 billion invested in development and testing; the Unit Procurement Cost was estimated at $178 million in 2006, based on a production run of 181 aircraft.[36] It was estimated by the end of production, $34 billion will have been spent on procurement, resulting in a total program cost of $62 billion, around $339 million per aircraft. The incremental cost for an additional F-22 was estimated at about $138 million in 2009.[34][37] The GAO stated the estimated cost was $412 million per aircraft in 2012.[38]

  17. #15297
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    2,325
    It just seems to me that having storm shelters for some aircraft makes sense if you're going to have an airbase in a hurricane zone.

    There are always fighters that can't fly... and this isn't the '70s where the unit cost on a fighter is a few million or tens-of-millions of dollars. If there's room in the budget for hundreds of billions of dollars for airframes, there has to be a way to build a few squadron's worth of concrete bunkhouses to protect airframes under maintenance from foreseeable environmental damage.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; October 15 2018 at 02:54:48 AM.

  18. #15298
    Caldrion Dosto's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    It just seems to me that having storm shelters for some aircraft makes sense if you're going to have an airbase in a hurricane zone.

    There are always fighters that can't fly... and this isn't the '70s where the unit cost on a fighter is a few million or tens-of-millions of dollars. If there's room in the budget for hundreds of billions of dollars for airframes, there has to be a way to build a few squadron's worth of concrete bunkhouses to protect airframes under maintenance from foreseeable environmental damage.
    How dare you threaten the bottom line of patriotic airframe manufacturers!?

    All in the name of "efficiency"....

  19. #15299
    Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    12,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    so that's 7.4 billion dollars gone?
    How do you get $7.4b if fly away cost per unit was $150m according to wiki?
    Wiki is misleading, here's further down:

    In April 2006, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) assessed the F-22's cost to be $361 million per aircraft, with $28 billion invested in development and testing; the Unit Procurement Cost was estimated at $178 million in 2006, based on a production run of 181 aircraft.[36] It was estimated by the end of production, $34 billion will have been spent on procurement, resulting in a total program cost of $62 billion, around $339 million per aircraft. The incremental cost for an additional F-22 was estimated at about $138 million in 2009.[34][37] The GAO stated the estimated cost was $412 million per aircraft in 2012.[38]
    As a trainer fleet, most of those F-22s did not receive incremental work or combat coding, reducing the represented lost value over the worst case scenario.

  20. #15300

    Join Date
    February 9, 2016
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Evelgrivion View Post
    As a trainer fleet, most of those F-22s did not receive incremental work or combat coding, reducing the represented lost value over the worst case scenario.
    Still, though, such a reduction in trainer a/c from an already small pool of the type will lead to readiness shortcomings pretty quickly. These are F-22s we're talking about, not a bunch of F-35's that can be replaced with a new block in the next FY should a few senators so much as glance in that direction.

    AF should have learned their lesson in 1992 with Hurricane Andrew. It completely flattened Homestead AFB, just south of Miami. Of the top of my head, there are at least 5 AFBs and 3 NASs, and a few auxiliary fields along the gulf coast of the US, none of them with HASes (which won't protect from flooding anyway) and several which host unique types (Eglin/Duke with the AC-130s, Tyndall with the F-22/F35, various USCG HH/HC types at Homestead AFRB, and WC aircraft at Biloxie, and Naval training at Pensacola NAS and the big P-3/P-8 base at Jacksonville NAS). It seems rather dumb to roll the dice and hope that those which can't get evac'd due to mx issues won't get creamed in a big storm, but I guess you count your blessings until the one time it does.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •