hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 154 12341151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarter remake)

Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarter remake)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lite-dangerous

Now I'm not old enough to remember ye olde days of Commodore 64 and the like, but since supposedly Eve Online is pretty much Elite Online (with Quafe, ecm, and monocles), this might be cool to check out. Has anyone here played Elite? What was it like? etc.

Like Frontier.

Re: Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarter remake)

Never thought I would see this day.

sent from who actualy cares.

e1337: D4NG3R0U5

At least it's not re- (tribution, velation, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Chelmar View Post

Now I'm not old enough to remember ye olde days of Commodore 64 and the like, but since supposedly Eve Online is pretty much Elite Online (with Quafe, ecm, and monocles), this might be cool to check out. Has anyone here played Elite? What was it like? etc.
    Long time Elite series player here, let me give you my take:

Imagine EVE without the multiplayer. That was Elite, EVE basically is an MMO realization. Both the CEO of CCP and Braben have agreed EVE is a spiritual successor.

Also Frontier First Encounters was the best, but buggy as shit. You guys think Skyrim/VTMB were bad on release with bugs? FFE pioneered that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelmar View Post

never got to play the original, but played the second game for most of my time at secondary school. (probably explains my exam results...) still probably one of the best games I have ever played apart from the annoying bug where after several weeks of playing and saving the game. the saved game files would corrupt and lose all of the data

Oh and interview here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20187897

I was actually frothing at the mouth as I read the article off El Reg.... he picked the wrong time of the year for a pledge though

So if EVE is multiplayer Elite and X3 is offline EVE then X series is the spiritual successor, no?

Eve is nothing like Elite, I think Vendetta Online is closer to what Elite was. I could never get into VO though....

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    So if EVE is multiplayer Elite and X3 is offline EVE then X series is the spiritual successor, no?

He's talking about making this not only offline, but also where you can play with friends over the web as well so a little of both? Personally I would like to see an elite mmo with updated versions of the physics they had back then. something eve lacks really?

Nice, but a bit poorly timed after Chris Roberts is trying to nab everyones money. Still 60 days on the kickstarter so I guess he's hoping to land some peoples holiday bonus/next paycheck.

Movember 2011Donor
    Elite on a BBC Micro player here! Vector Graphics.. and I remember sitting watching the revolving space stations like they were the most amazing thing I ever seen! (Which they were at the time).

Rotating to dock... NOT FUN - first thing you always bought was a docking system.
    Coming out of warp half way to get a fight v some serious hard aliens.

It was similar to eve, you had police, you traded, you killed NPC's. There was no internet back then, so single player.
    Saving up to buy a nice ship - ship died - you lost it.

It was the game that really started the genre.
    You may be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you will dance with the reaper!

Movember 2011Donor
    Just had a look at the kickstarter itself...

OMG I smell a con here

1.25 Million required - Already has 2 x 5k pledges.

No video, no artist drawings.. and they expect March 2014 delivery.

So its not really to kickstart a project, but kickstart a games studio! Although they are still in production of other games...

All in all, looks like shittest kickstart plea I've seen.
    You may be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you will dance with the reaper!

Donor
    I doubt it's a con, though the BBC News article on this talks about the project already being in development (which given an est March 2014 release date means it's probably been in development some time)

I always assumed Kickstarters were designed to get projects off the ground. If they're already committed to making it, then what is 1.25m actually funding?

He's had 20 years to make the definitive Elite, I hope he finally does it but I am not convinced he will.... in the meantime - Oolite

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Synns View Post

OMG I smell a con here

So its not really to kickstart a project, but kickstart a games studio! Although they are still in production of other games...

Tbh some concept art and a pitch video are about the easiest and cheapest way to spice up a Kickstarter page. So while it does appear suprising they have none, throwing some concept art on the page won't suddenly make the project have better chances. If anything a video of the tech they claim they have would be a better way to show they stand good chances.

Movember 2011Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Torashuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Synns View Post

OMG I smell a con here

Tbh some concept art and a pitch video are about the easiest and cheapest way to spice up a Kickstarter page. So while it does appear suprising they have none, throwing some concept art on the page won't suddenly make the project have better chances. If anything a video of the tech they claim they have would be a better way to show they stand good chances.
    Con is maybe too harsh. But I've never seen a KS with such a big WARNING... its totally playing on who he is, and what he has done.

As someone contemplating a KS with my company (see KS thread) I would hate for a bad taste to arrive from something this big, if it fails to deliver.

Cant help but feel that this wont work out well. I loved Elite (played it on a beeb too), but I dont think Braben can make something as good as Elite was in its day.

Much like how George Lucas not only doesnt make good films now - but is seemingly dedicated to ruining the memory of the good stuff he once was able to produce.

I think 1.25m is a little excessive, especially as there are no screenshots, concept art, etc. But on the other hand, it is Braben and not some random company who just owns the rights.

(I thought the rights of Elite were a problem in themselves? Didn't the other bloke own them?)

Pledged a ton.
    Free Clamdong!

Quote Originally Posted by firefoxx80 View Post
    I think 1.25m is a little excessive, especially as there are no screenshots, concept art, etc. But on the other hand, it is Braben and not some random company who just owns the rights.

(I thought the rights of Elite were a problem in themselves? Didn't the other bloke own them?)

Pledged a ton.
    Other bloke was Ian Bell, think they patched up their differences? and iirc you can download the old versions of Elite from Ian Bells site?