hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Lightweight ASP.NET source code editor?

Lightweight ASP.NET source code editor?

I'm looking for a (lightweight) ASP.NET source code editor. I only have two "must have" requirements:

- Keyword auto-casing/-formatting
    It drives me made if keyword aren't properly cased (sp? is that the right term). I want the editor to correct i.e. "lcase" to "LCase" while I type. Wether this happens directly after having finished typing the word or after leaving that line doesn't matter ... but I needs to happen automatically and in a timely manner (i.e. no sorce code formatter you manually start later on)

- Syntax highlighting
    Should be a given these days

My scripts are very simple, most of the time consisting just of one GUI + code behind file. I don't need any advanced features like project management, FTP upload, WebDAV etc. I do have VS installed, but it's way too bloated for the simple needs I have. In the past, I've used editors like Homesite, UltraEdit, PrimalScript. And even those are too complex for my needs. Other editors I've tried (Notepad++, for example) lack the auto-casing, which drives me nuts.

So, good folks of FHC, any suggestions?

I have no problem spending a few bucks, but i.e. spending $349 for PrimalScript where I would perhaps use < 25% of the available features doesn't make much sense. I'd rather spend 50 EUR for a specialized tool than 250 for a jack of all trades.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator
    think you are able to download autocomplete mods to notepad++, and/or possibly textpad.

THE PUNISHED
    notepad++

Donor
    Visual Studio is pretty lightweight IIRC...

Quote Originally Posted by Hast View Post
    think you are able to download autocomplete mods to notepad++, and/or possibly textpad.
    I tried the AutoComplete plugin in NP++, but to my coding habits, it's more a hinderance than a help. If it would do its job just without the pop-up, it would be fine.

TextPad ... well ... must have been ages since I've looked at it (used the 16-bit version of it back then). Will look at it again, I think.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator
    A part of the reasons why IDE's are quite heavy is because of the built in code completion, so you might have to bite the bullet.

WebForms? Razor? MVC? What about WebMatrix?

http://www.microsoft.com/web/webmatrix/

emacs/vim ?
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

A part of the reasons why IDE's are quite heavy is because of the built in code completion, so you might have to bite the bullet.
    Yeah, that's why I'm not looking for code completion/IntelliSense, but rather "just" for "formatting as I type". But I really fear I have to bite the bullet and settle with a more powerful horse than I need.

Quote Originally Posted by IceBlock View Post

Hmm, unless I'm mistaken and/opr my Google Fu is really weak, those (besides WebMatrix) don't seem to be (stand alone) editors but rather frameworks/plugins. I do know WebMatrix.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    emacs/vim ?
    I never occured to me to have a look at those. Will inspect them.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Yeah, that's why I'm not looking for code completion/IntelliSense, but rather "just" for "formatting as I type". But I really fear I have to bite the bullet and settle with a more powerful horse than I need.

Hmm, unless I'm mistaken and/opr my Google Fu is really weak, those (besides WebMatrix) don't seem to be (stand alone) editors but rather frameworks/plugins. I do know WebMatrix.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    emacs/vim ?
    I never occured to me to have a look at those. Will inspect them.
    Emacs has a plugin for everything. Question remains: why do you want to make it hard on yourself? IDE's give great productivity increases, which is why everyone uses them..

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

That is correct. Reason I ask is that not all IDE are suitable for all frameworks.

tried dreamweaver or ultraedit? eclipse? netbeans?

though tbh why you'd need a case completer to fix your case is beyond me its far quicker just to do it yourself as you type put your little finger to use and hit the shift key
    A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code

Quote Originally Posted by hinch View Post
    tried dreamweaver or ultraedit? eclipse? netbeans?
    Dreamweaver - yes - besides that I don't need any WYSIWYG capability - too "bloated"
    UltraEdit - yes (as mentioned in my OP) - too "bloated"
    Eclipse - yes - too "bloated"
    NetBeans - no - but from what I've read about NetBeans, being comparable to Ecplise/Visual Studio, I'd say too "bloated"

WHERE "bloated" = "has way too many features I never will use/need and if I should need such a rich feature set, I have VS installed (also mentioned in OP)".

though tbh why you'd need a case completer to fix your case is beyond me its far quicker just to do it yourself as you type put your little finger to use and hit the shift key
    This might look like a ridiculous pedantic issue to all of you, but I insist in mix-cased keywords and I get mad when I spot a wrongly cased keyword in my source code. This carries away all my concentration from understanding the piece of code to "fix those cases!"-mode. I currently do it myself, but every once in a while I miss the shift key (or press it too long).

What at least all your suggestions showed to me: My research before posting my question here doesn't seem to have missed an obvious editor of choice.

To wind up this topic: while browsing through my software CD collection in an attempt to weed out long outdated versions, you know that OpenOffice version from five years ago and such, I stumbled over an older IT magazine ("c't Developer") CD which included an older full version of UltraEdit (v15.x). It does what I'm looking for and isn't as mighty/bloated as VS and of course that prize is right.

Add to that the fact that I've already worked with UE in a distant paste (I remember it having a single digit version number back then), some things still look familiar at first glance, making it easy to just "get things done" instead of poking through 'umpteen option/extras/settings screens & config files.