hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 116 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1666106113114115116117118 LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2358

Thread: DEAD CELEBRITY MEGATHREAD

  1. #2301
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Mikhail Gorbachev (91) after a long period of illness.
    Damn. Not surprising, he was old, but still. He was extremely important to East Germany, his decision to not follow Honnecker's request for forces allowed the Fall of the Wall and the Reunification to take place.
    I find it very interesting that we in Germany, east and west, mostly credit him for the fall of the Iron Curtain, whereas people from the U.S. credit Reagan for it. ("Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.")
    While Gorbachev had objectively more influence on the outcome, neither of them is singularly responsible. No event in history has a single cause. I wish more people would realize that.
    Indeed.

    When commenting about his death and his role in the German reunification in the news, they mentioned rightfully so that the most influential group in this event were the GDR citizens and their peaceful protests.
    Very much so. Every ex-soviet country had those at the time. Poland with Walesa and Solidarnosc, Czechs with Havel and Velvet Revolution etc...
    I'd just like to point out that earlier the Soviet Union would just invade countries straying from the path. Hungary, Czechoslovakia and Afganistan comes to mind. Gorbachev didn't care for that kind of imperialism but there were others that probably wouldn't mind letting the Red army march if they were in power.
    Hence my genuine RIP post above.

  2. #2302
    tulip's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    2,309
    The Queen is dead, long live the King.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

  3. #2303

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,999
    Over/under on Charles skipping? One of the few things of value about the Queen was the stability she provided, I cant imagine people will love having what will feel like an interim-king.

  4. #2304
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,540
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    The Queen is dead, long live the King.
    https://www.npr.org/2022/09/08/11217...eth-ii-dead-96
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

  5. #2305

    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Posts
    3,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Over/under on Charles skipping? One of the few things of value about the Queen was the stability she provided, I cant imagine people will love having what will feel like an interim-king.
    Oh I doubt he's kicking the bucket in the next 10-15 years, he'll take the job.

    Also remind me to never to shake hands with Liz Truss.

  6. #2306

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post

    Also remind me to never to shake hands with Liz Truss.
    I dont think I needed any more reasons, but if we are lucky she now thinks she's cursed.

  7. #2307
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    16,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Over/under on Charles skipping? One of the few things of value about the Queen was the stability she provided, I cant imagine people will love having what will feel like an interim-king.
    Oh I doubt he's kicking the bucket in the next 10-15 years, he'll take the job.

    Also remind me to never to shake hands with Liz Truss.
    https://www.royal.uk/

    The King and The Queen Consort will remain at Balmoral this evening and will return to London tomorrow.
    Charles is the king.
    nevar forget

  8. #2308

    Join Date
    February 2, 2012
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Over/under on Charles skipping? One of the few things of value about the Queen was the stability she provided, I cant imagine people will love having what will feel like an interim-king.
    Oh I doubt he's kicking the bucket in the next 10-15 years, he'll take the job.

    Also remind me to never to shake hands with Liz Truss.
    https://www.royal.uk/

    The King and The Queen Consort will remain at Balmoral this evening and will return to London tomorrow.
    Charles is the king.
    Truss just called him King Charles III, I was hoping he'd use one of his other names, we don't have a great history with Charles's.

  9. #2309

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,325
    Whatever one might think of the british monarchy, Elizabeth II took her duty as (representative) head of state much more seriously
    than a great many democraticaly elected leaders.
    Last edited by whispous; September 8 2022 at 07:47:04 PM.

  10. #2310
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,243
    She was a good regent, a bit too passive in these political trying times.
    I hope her successor will be as good.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

  11. #2311
    Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Mails Tegg > пошел ты на хуй
    Posts
    5,255
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    She was a good regent, a bit too passive in these political trying times.
    I hope her successor will be as good.
    I mean, that's literally asking an unelected power to stop a demoncratically elected power.

    Don't get me wrong, the current system being mangled to promote an oligopoly is pure poison, but lol



    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

  12. #2312
    walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Posts
    7,030
    Who?
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

    Larkonis Trassler is an antisemite:
    https://bit.ly/3t3NfHs

  13. #2313
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    24,393
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post

    I mean, that's literally asking an unelected power to stop a demoncratically elected power.
    good typo tbh
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  14. #2314
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,540
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    She was a good regent, a bit too passive in these political trying times.
    I hope her successor will be as good.
    Was she not prohibited by law from taking stances on political issues? I mean, she did skirt the law by wearing a blue outfit during the Brexit vote.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

  15. #2315
    Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Mails Tegg > пошел ты на хуй
    Posts
    5,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post

    I mean, that's literally asking an unelected power to stop a demoncratically elected power.
    good typo tbh
    I'll leave it in



    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

  16. #2316
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,243
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    She was a good regent, a bit too passive in these political trying times.
    I hope her successor will be as good.
    I mean, that's literally asking an unelected power to stop a demoncratically elected power.

    Don't get me wrong, the current system being mangled to promote an oligopoly is pure poison, but lol
    Publicly, probably not. But she could still voice her opinion which carries a lot of weight.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

  17. #2317
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    10,044
    rip liz a real 1

  18. #2318

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    6,210
    She reigned for 30% of the existence of the United States. Just to put it into perspective.

  19. #2319
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    She reigned for 30% of the existence of the United States. Just to put it into perspective.
    She took the throne before my mother was born. She was there after mom died.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

  20. #2320
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    3,296
    RIP


    Welcome

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •