hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: [SIM Racing] - Live for Speed, iRacing, Richard burns rally and the likes

[SIM Racing] - Live for Speed, iRacing, Richard burns rally and the likes

So the F1 thread reminded me we never actually had a proper simracing thread, so for anyone interested - I present you LFS.
    It's not the prettiest game(Alltough there are Hires texture packs which improve that ), it's certainly not the best sounding racing sim out there - But it is without a doubt the most realistic asphalt racer. The tyre physics, how the cars feel and react and the force feedback implementation is miles ahead of ANYTHING else. Even though it's an old ass project being developed by (now) two guys.#

What do I need to check this out ?
    .) Well, a wheel. Preferably with nonshit FF.
    .) The free demo from http://www.lfs.net/?page=downloads

How to setup a Logitech wheel ?
    Make sure the pedals aren't on a combined axis in the Logitech/Wingman Software.
    In the Logitech wingman software set the spring effect strength and damper effect strength to 0%. Disable Center Springt Strength and/or set it 0%.
    Leave overall effect strength at 100%(Or less if that's too strong for you, you also change that ingame though)
    Ingame settings:
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2...eelbuttons.png

Set wheel turn according to your wheel, or your liking(Personally I hate 900 wheels)
    Make sure wheel turn compensation is at 0.00
    Recalibrating the axes ingame also helps sometimes, if you feel like it's a bit off.
    Remove deadzones if you want every last mm of precision. ;P

Car Setups ?
    http://setupfield.teaminferno.hu/?p_...p&p_version=S2
    For starters you'll be looking for XF GTI(Golf GTI like hatchback) settings here. Use race setups, not hotlap ones. The tires will just die after a couple laps.
    Or just ask ingame for a noob friendly setup if you're on a server, usually people share em. Just be nice.

Most importantly though, don't be an asshat. Always avoid contact with other cars and never crash deliberately or you'll get your ass banned(Unless it's an explicit DestructionDerby like server). Not a big deal with the demo, since you can just register a new account(I think?) but this isn't NFS. And theres a lot of fun to be had just with the demo, it's only 1 track and 3 cars but you can spend months mastering it. The most competitive racing you'll find.
    Theres also http://www.lfsworld.net/ if you wanna get your nerd on. For example if you wanna know how why those fuckers have a 10s faster laptime, go to S2 hotlaps\Hotlap charts, click on the track and car combo you're interested in and if you click on the laptimes you can download the replay to check out his racing line, brake points and so on.
    Or do it in a browser http://www.lfsworld.net/rafa/.

Personally I haven't played in 1.5-2 years but Im starting to feel the itch again. I think we should totally like organize an FHC event, maybe even our own server or something. Preferably while using TS so we can shout at each other.

If you like what you see in the demo, the full license is only 30/24pound/39$.
    Last edited by Stoffl; September 17 2012 at 04:06:16 PM.
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

kinda want.
    need me?, contact me on Discord (entrox#0001) or via e-mail (entrox@failheap-challenge.com).

big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    i have a key for this somewhere i think

might play
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

iRacing.com

just saying.....

Subscription based racing sim

looooooooooooooooooool

Another vid

*edit*
    Updated with better vid featuring non-shit music
    Last edited by Stoffl; September 13 2012 at 05:05:01 PM.

i actually used to play this years ago and have an account, didnt know it was still going

Not Live for Speed, but leaving this here for Stoffl. He will remember the Deathmobile.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/snowdrake_abk/screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by James Lyrus
    they send you a pedometer, and set you daily activity targets
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    There's no fucking way I'm googling '12" Hero'

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    non-shit music
    And your sure about this?

iracing crowd checking in, will download this and try it tonight fo giggles.
    Dont dam me when i speak a piece of mind; cause silence isnt golden when i am holding it inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    I always read your name as tinder-mom

@blut heh memories..

@trind
    you should've seen the one I had posted initially....

:tappin dat talk:
    Last edited by Stoffl; September 15 2012 at 10:35:14 AM.

if ppl are interested and want a private server to fuck around in, I can throw one up on my small Linux box.

Meanwhile though I'm busy being bad at planetside 2 and licking my wounds in blackmesa.

Stoffl

how do you feel about making this a generic car racing "sim" thead? I was going to make one deadicated to iracing (my poison), but really seems like 1 thread might meet all our needs? (not sure if this is a terrible idea and i should be beaten with a stick).

/Trindermon
    Dont dam me when i speak a piece of mind; cause silence isnt golden when i am holding it inside.

Just dipping in from the flight sim group to tell you that one thread is the best approach, there's no point in multiple threads for only about 6 - 10 users.

This actually looks rather good although I don't want to invest in a wheel when my flight setup isn't where I want it to be yet, maybe in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Trindermon View Post
    Stoffl

how do you feel about making this a generic car racing "sim" thead? I was going to make one deadicated to iracing (my poison), but really seems like 1 thread might meet all our needs? (not sure if this is a terrible idea and i should be beaten with a stick).

/Trindermon
    Done

I found iRacing great but I can't justify the cost.

Been playing Project: CARS lately which is pretty good, still very clearly alpha though.

I want to play Richard Burns Rally but can't find a decent copy any fucking where.
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Done
    Thanks man, seems to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Flare View Post
    I found iRacing great but I can't justify the cost.
    Been playing Project: CARS lately which is pretty good, still very clearly alpha though.
    I want to play Richard Burns Rally but can't find a decent copy any fucking where.
    Personally i love iracing, but yes, its STUPIDLY expensive, its not the monthly fee, its how much laying out of cash you have to do for a "full series" when you are out of the rookie league. That said, you can off set it by earning the rewards, but to do that youll have to compeate first so its a bit chicken and egg.

I am just finishing up on my rookie road license and should be able to do a class D series when i get promoted; assuming no massive fucking crashes in the next 2 races. I think i am going to do the skipbarber series and thats going to cost me a fortune in tracks. but that series should do me for many months and then getting in to other road racing should be cheap as most happens on the same circuits. (least the open wheel stuff i am interested in).

Live for Speed i have downloaded but not installed and setup yet, cant wait to try it as it looks really cool - would certainly be in for a FHC race, i dont really like destro derbys so hope the racing quality is comparible to the stuff that i have been experiancing in iracing. (for the record once i got out of the lowersplits in rookie it seemed fairly clean and well done. people give a shit about there safety rating in the game so thats nice.

Not seen project cars, worth a look compared to iracing and L4S?

The other thing that put me off iRacing was getting out of the rookie leagues. I had a day where I just sat and did every race I could (was on a week off work) and almost every single one I'd be winning, come up behind a back marker, they'd shit themselves and crash and take me with them.

The worst was some woman (real names are useful for identifying bad drivers it seems!) who crashed into the barrier, fine, I can go around that. She then DOESN'T APPLY THE BRAKES and rolls backwards into me. So much rage.

Project CARS is certainly good fun, and they're coming on in big steps for the physics now. I'm slightly biased because they've secured licensing for the Evo 6, 9 and 10...

LFS actually had good racing if you were on a decent server with admins and a regular bunch of guys. the community for that game was pretty good in general.

this was at least 2 or 3 years ago though, things may have changed.

@Trindermon
    Crashing and contact racing(unless rallycross) is really frowned upon. Depending on how :srsbsns: a server is being admined you can even get kicked for not pressing spectate after crashing if you're blocking the road.

@edna
    Activity dropped since development kinda stalled 2 years ago, the new tyre physics and Vw Scirocco was to be released ages ago.

SO my wheel bought the fuckin dust and ive had to pony up for a new one, i was going to go overboard and buy another fanatec, but after various fuckups with the customer service [not personaly experianced, but a mate did] and general shitty quality (the wheel its self was amazing but the innards etc, bleh) - I've gone with a tried a tested Logitec G27 *(and hope its hld as good as the G25)*.

I was going to get a thrustmaster, but suspect logitec will be better in the long run (also its 200quid not 4billion like the Fanatecs or the top of the line thrust).