hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 432 of 434 FirstFirst ... 332382422429430431432433434 LastLast
Results 8,621 to 8,640 of 8670

Thread: Chris Roberts is back. (Star Citizen / Squadron 42 thread)

So controls gotten next level complex.
    Luckily for me, someone spent their time figuring this shit out and made a vid about it.
    Quite a project to personalize controls to your preferences.

Got my table mounts. Do take up a lot of space, especially when not in use. Next problem to solve.

that looks sweet!
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

2 VKBs? I see you you're a man of culture as well.

Expensive and totally not worth it, but damn I love these sticks.
    VKB & Virpil is in a league of their own.

I remember a few years ago, I refused to put the money into a Warthog HOTAS as they was too expensive.
    Now I got a controller setup that is nearly 10x in price...derp.

Prolly spent 50 hours flying with them before I got used to the dual stick setup.
    Think I have tried all springs and clutch variations to make them fit me.
    Maybe buy some 5gram springs for lefty.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Dug out my FHC login just for this:

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Yearly check in. Is it still vapourware ?

https://starcitizentracker.github.io/

... Yes

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    18 months since my last check in. Still total bullshit? Yep!

https://starcitizentracker.github.io/

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news...rt-1203205859/

Roberts said that “Squadron 42” is coming out in 2020, but there’s no estimate for when the full “Star Citizen” will arrive.
    lol what a scam.
    Last edited by Lallante; August 1 2019 at 02:35:34 AM.

“Chaotic” is how the work environment at Cloud Imperium Games was described
    That actually surprises me. What's the point of doing any work when you can just make renders of increasingly large spaceships and sell them for $800 per unit to people who guzzle it down like calves at the teat

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Holy fuck was it really in 2012 this all started?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Holy fuck was it really in 2012 this all started?
    It has taken 7 years and $150,000,000 to still be able to say "no due date!" and still have customers defending them.

This one is going to be in the textbooks for years to come.

EDIT: Apparently it's $250,000,000 now
    Last edited by Malcanis; August 4 2019 at 09:10:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

They're being defended by people who aren't even customers too Lmao
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

This is not true, well over 2 million people have bought the game.
    And you are further buying in game ships for cash. Same as you would buy an MTX in any other game.

Anyhow, at the moment they have two major obstacles to overcome. Without these solved, they can't release any more content.

* Server Side Object Container Streaming (clients got it already)
    Only loads and activates items that is required. Currently no more can be added to the game without severe server performance loss.

* Server Meshing, this is the holy grail. Allows players and assets to be seamlessly be transferred between game servers.
    This is the core component for running the Persistent Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    This is not true, well over 2 million people have bought the game.
    And you are further buying in game ships for cash. Same as you would buy an MTX in any other game.

Anyhow, at the moment they have two major obstacles to overcome. Without these solved, they can't release any more content.

* Server Side Object Container Streaming (clients got it already)
    Only loads and activates items that is required. Currently no more can be added to the game without severe server performance loss.

* Server Meshing, this is the holy grail. Allows players and assets to be seamlessly be transferred between game servers.
    This is the core component for running the Persistent Universe.
    What game? There is no game. There's just an alpha version. A hardly functioning, buggy tech demo. That's it. These people are buying ships for a game that doesn't exist, and probably never will either!

Chris Roberts spend $250m and 7 years, and all he has to show for it is a lot of hype and a tech demo, without even a release date insight. And still people are buying ships! Wake up and smell the roses, FFS.

Last December he had $14m left in cash, and he had to be bailed out. For what? More marketing and ship jpegs. And here you are, explaining: 'only this and that needs to be done now'. It's bullshit. You've been had. Out of the 100 systems promised, he's only delivered part on one. And he isn't even promising when the rest will be done.

2 million suckers I say ... nice joysticks you bought for the game though!

I have no horse in this race, but one might say that backend object handling systems maybe should've been looked at before year 5 or so (they've been working on this problem for some time already, IIRC?). Perhaps at the beginning, to determine whether or not the vision for the game is technically possible.

7 years with a team that size and a budget that big to develop an alpha is, frankly, horrific.

Nothing on this scale has been done before. Each solar system is 10% of the actual size. Same with planets and moons.
    Before you can design this system, you need to know your requirements. You can't make step 6, before you have 1-5 in place.

Nothing on this scale has been done before. Each solar system is 10% of the actual size. Same with planets and moons.
    Before you can design this system, you need to know your requirements. You can't make step 6, before you have 1-5 in place.
    Please tell me you don't do software development. Because this is just plain ridiculous.

Maybe Chris Roberts shouldn't have made promises he didn't know he could keep?

Ohh, wait, then he wouldn't have been able to sell so many jpegs for thousands of dollars each.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    This is such an entirely meaningless boast I don't know what to say to you.

Hint: If 99.9% of the solar system is empty or copy-pasted, having it exist is meaningless. I can create an endless void and claim I've made an infinitely bigger solar system. Virtual objects "size" is meaningless - it's just a function of perspective. The original promise was much closer to "infinite procedurally generated star systems with cities, space stations and fully realised civilisations". That promise was later pared down to something more realistic, but what is now actually being worked towards is vastly vastly more limited - most of space isnt just empty, its repetitive and boring.

Hint: If 99.9% of the solar system is empty or copy-pasted, having it exist is meaningless. I can create an endless void and claim I've made an infinitely bigger solar system. Virtual objects "size" is meaningless - it's just a function of perspective. The original promise was much closer to "infinite procedurally generated star systems with cities, space stations and fully realised civilisations". That promise was later pared down to something more realistic, but what is now actually being worked towards is vastly vastly more limited - most of space isnt just empty, its repetitive and boring.
    It's not that simple. First there is the promise of no loading screens.
    Solar systems aren't static. Every planet, moon, asteroid and other objects has an orbit and probably rotating as well.
    And items dropped, placed or whatever needs to be tracked. Not just its location, but also the state it is in. And they never expire.

The item database needs to be able to hold billions of items without crushing the servers. So that is why they are spending so much time on the object handling system.
    Think back on your time when playing eve/elite dangerous. Dock/undock, changing systems, loading a grid.
    Here you will not notice it. And finally is the server meshing, to get all the servers to pass this data between them would lagging.

And that is something no other games have accomplished. End game is to have everything on a single shard.
    The Epic Store is amazing, I've been able to save so much money by not buying their games.

Virtual objects "size" is meaningless - it's just a function of perspective.
    That is apparently (surprisingly) wrong. I remember a news thing quite a while back, where they talked about the problem with size in the universse and that they had to "port" the engine to 64 bit because some dimensions were always overflowing the 32bit variables of the graphics engine.
    I rememberd this because I found it quite a fun little fact. ( and I hope I remembered it at least close to correct)

Yeah, true in a sense. Especially trying to cover from human scale up to astronomical scale. KSP actually ran into that problem and had to center the universe on the active ship instead of the sun. (Until they made that switch, ships in far orbits tended to kraken themselves because the floating point errors in position of part A and part B grew too large.)

However, this problem is the same as it was the day the kickstarter wrapped up. What is actually contained in their object data has certainly evolved, but they've needed a system to handle this range of scale and number of objects all along. Seems more like procrastination because server code and databases do not customers wow.

It's not that simple. First there is the promise of no loading screens.
    Solar systems aren't static. Every planet, moon, asteroid and other objects has an orbit and probably rotating as well.
    And items dropped, placed or whatever needs to be tracked. Not just its location, but also the state it is in. And they never expire.

The item database needs to be able to hold billions of items without crushing the servers. So that is why they are spending so much time on the object handling system.
    Think back on your time when playing eve/elite dangerous. Dock/undock, changing systems, loading a grid.
    Here you will not notice it. And finally is the server meshing, to get all the servers to pass this data between them would lagging.

And that is something no other games have accomplished. End game is to have everything on a single shard.
    So just like everything they over promised and have consistently under delivered while taking money from anyone gullible enough to believe they'll ever get close to a finished product.