hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 456 of 456 FirstFirst ... 356406446453454455456
Results 9,101 to 9,120 of 9120

Thread: Chris Roberts is back. (Star Citizen / Squadron 42 thread)

I sat over Trading Outposts with my Eclipse and torped the cargo ships taking off fully loaded.
    Sorry, I was part of the problem
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Has the monthly shitposting from the usual suspects stopped ? Cool, maybe now the adults can carry on.

Enjoyed CC to some degree. Blown away by Pyro, but then left a bit underwhelmed by the timeline. I'm not a fan of following the roadmap as let's be honest it changes so much, but the revelation that we are looking at possibly Q1 2023 for Pyro caught me by surprise. I felt it was closer than that. No worries though it certainly looks worth waiting for.

The backend talks, whilst important, don't grab me usually but wow the complexity they are working towards with server meshing explains an awful lot. Again I felt it was closer to arriving than it is, but totally get why now. My fault for only keeping on half an eye on this stuff.

Disappointed with the ships. If you're going to dangle carrots to soften the blow probably best to make the carrots better imho.

What was really evident was how tired / burnt out some of the Devs looked. They've gone straight from a late 3.14 into a time constrained 3.15 and CC release. It shows.

I think the CC did a really good job showcasing what they had to work with, but the bottleneck in server meshing V further development is really starting to show.

However so is the work towards achieving it.

i used to kickstart stuff before kickstart even started Donor Hayes DuSid's Avatar
    Over all, I found this the first Citizen Con that I believed them largely.

Often it's dreams and space dust, but they definitely toned down CR speak and just went with more of a, "Here's what's in the pipeline, we have no idea when but we've got some guesses." and then they showed us stuff in a close approximation of the current game, or so I think.

The 400i is meh, that's true, but I will say i was quite pleased with the Liberator because it felt like one of the few times a ship was designed for purpose rather than rule of cool handwaving and I really appreciate that. Add in that they added the Gundam carrier ship colours to it and I was instantly in love.

Also, the Banu Merchantman, despite it not releasing soon, was honestly kinda stunning. I'm accustomed to them dreaming big and then scaling down to reality so much lately, that seeing that ship just implemented somewhat with an entire shopping mall inside it and dripping with opulence, made me kinda excited again for a ship I already was eager for.

The tech side was a bit disappointing and while I don't want to be that guy who was hoping we'd see SQ42 in 2 years or having hope, honestly I felt my expectations lowering for future releases and any kind of completion date. The work they've accomplished this year has really begun to convert it from a tech demo into a somewhat operational game, and it's getting more and more added to it as we go, but progress is slow and patience is required in large amounts yet.
    "How fleeting are all human passions compared to the massive continuity of ducks."- Dorothy L.
    Sayers, Gaudy Night (1935)

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarp View Post
    Has the monthly shitposting from the usual suspects stopped ? Cool, maybe now the adults can carry on.

Copium

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Wayne-CIG@Wayne-CIG
    Server Crash Recovery

(We heard you liked trading fixes)

Having lost a hull full of cargo ourselves due to a pesky error 30k, we know all too well how frustrating encountering a server crash can be. For that reason, we're very happy to announce the addition of Server Crash Recovery!

So, how does it work? We're adding functionality that creates a "heartbeat" (regular logging with persistence) for you and your ship. So, in the case of a server crash, the backend will recognize that an unexpected timeout has happened, allowing you to visit any ASOP terminal and spawn your ship, intact and exactly as it was pre-crash. This means your cargo, ship status (health/fuel), and any items you had lying around your ship will return in the exact state that it was.

Now, it's important to note this is merely a simple interim fix. Long term, this will all be handled by the entity graph and server meshing work, where we'll track shard history which will allow us to properly retain information and restore you directly to the moment you left off (mid-quantum flight, etc.). Nonetheless, while this is a temporary solution, it should be effective and reliable.

It's also important to note that this new addition is specifically for server crashes. Client crashes would still be handled in the same way they are now, with current crash recovery functionality.

This is currently in review and will hit the PTU very soon!

i used to kickstart stuff before kickstart even started Donor Hayes DuSid's Avatar
    As sad as this sounds, that fix might be the most interesting thing they've added in 3.15 for me.

Medical gameplay is obviously going to add more random occurrences that lead to fun, inventory management was always going to be needed eventually...

But can trade without making losses for no mistake of my own, fixes that entire gameplay loop.
    "How fleeting are all human passions compared to the massive continuity of ducks."- Dorothy L.

The client might of course crash, and that fix won't save your cargo.
    I did a PTU trading run yesterday before I saw this dev post.
    Laranite from Wala (45) to Loreville. I never warp directly to Lorevill I always goto Bajini point station and warp down.
    I had a very load "load" of 20sec where client was completely frozen.

To the numbers bit:
    Site had 38k units in stock when I arrived. 30min wait to full up.
    Worst case 70min to load a C2 + flight time of 15min.
    Still gives approx profit of 270k per hour.
    At the risk of losing investment of about 1,8m credits.

Ok, normally this wouldn't be worth commenting on, but their facebook post showing off the new 400i popped up in my feed and pointed me toward the website, so I decided to give it a look.

WHOEVER DESIGNED THIS WEBPAGE NEEDS TO BE SLAPPED WITH A ROTTEN FISH. REPEATEDLY.
    Quarantined and loving life.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Ok, normally this wouldn't be worth commenting on, but their facebook post showing off the new 400i popped up in my feed and pointed me toward the website, so I decided to give it a look.

WHOEVER DESIGNED THIS WEBPAGE NEEDS TO BE SLAPPED WITH A ROTTEN FISH. REPEATEDLY.
    I won't lie, I hated that page too. You can skip the shitty scroll stuff by hitting the link in the top right early on for pre-order it now and then just scrolling up a little to see the information without the animations.

Installed for shits and giggles. Surprisingly small install.

First time loading into the universe, though, I thought it had some kinda memory leak. It ate over 20 gigs of ram before it finished loading. Usage steadily dropped after that and was around 5 gigs when I was out in space, so I can't really complain. Second time loading after a 30K and it took barely a minute rather than the several that it took the first time.

Playing KBM for the moment because it's :effort: to set up the HOTAS. So far it's not bad, although not amazing either. Feels better flying big stuff than little stuff, because I'm not as inclined to make fast adjustments so it doesn't bother me that the controls are clunky.

Logged off in my cat in the middle of space not too far from port Olisar, we'll see if I'm still there when I log back in. Tempted to try a few hauling missions and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Steckersaurus; October 16 2021 at 03:03:19 AM.

Installed for shits and giggles. Surprisingly small install.

First time loading into the universe, though, I thought it had some kinda memory leak. It ate over 20 gigs of ram before it finished loading. Usage steadily dropped after that and was around 5 gigs when I was out in space, so I can't really complain. Second time loading after a 30K and it took barely a minute rather than the several that it took the first time.

Playing KBM for the moment because it's :effort: to set up the HOTAS. So far it's not bad, although not amazing either. Feels better flying big stuff than little stuff, because I'm not as inclined to make fast adjustments so it doesn't bother me that the controls are clunky.

Logged off in my cat in the middle of space not too far from port Olisar, we'll see if I'm still there when I log back in. Tempted to try a few hauling missions and see how it goes.
    Just as a fair warning, I find that the game's buggier and more prone to crashes during the first 2 hours of any patch that wipes your player folder. I'm guessing there's some ini files or something that don't populate automatically and the game keeps running into those undefined values giving you a choppy, buggy experience. Be prepared for that experience to return when 3.15 launches initially.

Otherwise, good luck and have fun. I'm going to guess you'll spawn at a station with your ship requiring a claim to get back but it shouldn't be a long wait and you should be back on your feet pretty quick. Don't do hauling until 3.15 imo, they're putting in crash cargo recovery and that's currently one of the biggest caveats to hauling right now. 30k's can bankrupt you randomly.

Also, be aware when you look at your speed bar, if you go over the white/yellow zone into the red, your ship will handle much worse, which can feel clunky. If you want crisper reactions, stay in the bottom white part.

Funny you mentioned it, I have noticed the same thing. First few hours playing and game runs poorly, then it picks up in smoothness.

PSA:
    Once 3.15 hits and you get a new home location, go for A18.
    Centrally in the system, and pretty quick to get in and out of.

Guess you can go to another location and just reclaim all ships.

I actually find Area 18 more annoying than New Babbage / Microtech. Mostly because of the vertical hangar and the longer bay door opening animation but also partially because if you spawn somewhere without ground vehicle pads, you cannot spawn your ground vehicles without claiming them and waiting the timer out, and New Babbage has a really nice ground spawn pad and pick up ice lake area for loading vehicles into your ships. Finally, though this might be just me personally, I find my framerate isn't as badly destroyed in New Babbage as it is in Area 18.

Other than that, I quite like that nearly every pad I launch from is a fly straight out and then just aim up kind of pad.

The big negative is that Microtech is way out and it takes a fair bit to get anywhere from there, which is a pretty big negative.

And I'm the dumbass who decided to start out on Crusader.

Don't be like me.

I'm going to guess you'll spawn at a station with your ship requiring a claim to get back but it shouldn't be a long wait and you should be back on your feet pretty quick.
    I actually respawned in my ship, floating in space right where I left it.

EDIT: And then it crashed out when I alt-tabbed. wtf. I didn't have a problem with alt-tab yesterday. Dammit.

EDIT 2: Respawned on Olisar, claiming ship. Bugger.
    Last edited by Steckersaurus; October 16 2021 at 01:21:58 PM.

And I'm the dumbass who decided to start out on Crusader.

Don't be like me.

I'm going to guess you'll spawn at a station with your ship requiring a claim to get back but it shouldn't be a long wait and you should be back on your feet pretty quick.
    I actually respawned in my ship, floating in space right where I left it.

EDIT: And then it crashed out when I alt-tabbed. wtf. I didn't have a problem with alt-tab yesterday. Dammit.

EDIT 2: Respawned on Olisar, claiming ship. Bugger.
    And so the cycle completes.

Yeah alt tab has some issues, it can work but it's certainly a little risky. I'm guessing it doesn't assign the ram up properly or something and it bugs out sometimes.

Also, always assume scuff is coming for you, sadly, alpha is quite strong with this project and the bugs are quite regular.

As you play more, you learn the bugs and what to do and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    As you play more, you learn the bugs and what to do and what not.
    Of all the bugs I was ready for, the killer staircase at the Lorville New Deal shipyard is not one I was expecting. I don't know if it's a common issue or just local to me, but where you go down the stairs to look at the larger ships for sale (connie and hammerhead for me) there's a significant chunk of the floor at the bottom of the stairs that's just flat out *not there.* The markings that should be painted on the floor are instead floating in the air.

I discovered this when I walked down the stairs and promptly fell a hundred meters and died, then woke up in the hab block and had to figure out where the hell I was and how to get back to the spaceport.

Also, landing a connie and Lorville was an interesting challenge, and I have no idea how I'd do it without extensive abuse of the 3rd person camera. I guess if I had to do it in 1st person I could just go nose down until I as centered over the pad, then level out and drop. Doing it in a cat without 3rd person camera... just not happening solo. I'd want/need someone else guiding me in, either from the nose or one of the turrets.

These are "seams". It can happen anywhere, running up and down stairs, ramps, elevators etc.
    You go over them before they are fully loaded. But that particular piece has been the doom of many adventures

Trick is not to sprint from one area to another. But you gotta know where those seams are.
    Biggest killers are stairs and ramps.

Just server lag.
    You have to use 3rd person to land ships. Landing UI was something we had years ago. But got removed for reasons.

These are "seams". It can happen anywhere, running up and down stairs, ramps, elevators etc.
    You go over them before they are fully loaded. But that particular piece has been the doom of many adventures

Trick is not to sprint from one area to another. But you gotta know where those seams are.
    Biggest killers are stairs and ramps.

Just server lag.
    You have to use 3rd person to land ships. Landing UI was something we had years ago. But got removed for reasons.