hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving to Linode

Moving to Linode

fellow shitpoasters.

the day has come and i will be moving the forum this weekend (most likely tonight) to a linode. there is no reason to panic, its simply a matter of logistics for me. the box (that is at the DC i run) has been acting up a bit and i want to replace some hardware and put it back into production so hosting FHC on it will get more...complicated.

now you might be asking yourself, what does this mean for me and the future?
    well its very simple, the forum itself will be performing an awful lot better in loading times and it will allow me to do some proper expansion on the long run if we ever need to, not to mention i wont have to "hide" the VM anymore at work

alright, what's the catch?
    of course there is one, as i mentioned when i started FHC more than a year ago if we ever did move to a "paid" hosting method then i would open up for donations, the current costs for FHC are the domain name (about 12$ a year?), the anti-spam service (about 10$ a month) and from now on the linode (i will be starting with a 768, from the data i have gathered it should be enough) which will net about $30 a month. this totals up to around $40~ or so a month.

i honestly don't care about paying that much, of course on the long run it will add up so as i said before i will be opening up 2 methods for you to support the forum.

1. ads will be displayed on the top of the site for non-logged in users, this means that if you don't want to see the ads all you have to do is register and log in. i will never force ads into posts because it looks fucking awful.
    2. monthly subscriptions will be available, they will run for $1 and $5 a month.

if we get enough people to go for option #2 then disabling ads all together would be perfectly viable, i'd also rather have more people going for the $1 subscription vs the $5 subscription since i don't want to force a smaller group of people to hold the torch up.

everyone is of course perfectly fine of telling me fuck you i am not paying anything, and that would be fine, as i said i will be paying up for the forum for as long as i care/can afford it, but help will be greatly appreciated

and finally, another matter i want to clarify will be the following.

what would you do if you end up getting more money than we need?
    said money would be kept in the paypal account i will be using for both the ads and subscriptions, i plan to let the money sit there and maybe use spare money to purchase things for FHC as an entity (vB5 license if it ever comes out, maybe donate some money for FHC meets or even organize raffles).

as i've always said it i wish to give you guys as much transparency as possible and i hope to let the forum keep on going for the foreseeable future.

oh yeah, before i forget. yes, if you donate you will get a pretty colored name.
    need me?, contact me on Discord (entrox#0001) or via e-mail (entrox@failheap-challenge.com).

Happy to donate a few bucks so you can off and go buy a pacific island with the cumulative 127.53 bucks

I'd like a complete list of donations and transparency on how much do we have vs how much do we need but tbh, if there should be money left over maybe at least the trox can buy himself a nice bottle of something. I'm using the FHC TS regularly and played on a couple of FHC servers, why not get at least a token of gratitude in return.
    Last edited by FatFreddy; August 31 2012 at 03:17:23 PM.

Donor
    Coloured names for $1 donations? MY COLOURED NAME RARITY BACKBONE.

That aside, I think that's about as unobtrusive a system as you could implement really - ads for non-logged in users is harmless. Bravo!

What's your Paypal?

as long as you dont limit things to god-awful Paypal...
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Smuggo
    Coloured name you say?

Also $30 a month plus $1 a month plus <$1 a month is nowhere near $40 a month.

in before Entrox pulls a cla-- OH AAHAHAH

Spoiler:
    a large faecal log spread out on the oversized scrotum of a domestic pig
      Spoiler:

THE PUNISHED
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzel View Post

That aside, I think that's about as unobtrusive a system as you could implement really - ads for non-logged in users is harmless. Bravo!

What's your Paypal?
    how much do i need to pay to be a mod again?

big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Coloured name you say?

$30 a month hosting, $10 a month anti-spam, <$1 a month for the domain name.

Are you mentally ill?
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

70 pounds a month etc etc.

Your posting is medium, its not rare and its not well done
    - Krans 26/7/12

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Coloured name you say?

the anti-spam is $5 a month, not 10$ a year

my bad, its $5 a month :V
    need me?, contact me on Discord (entrox#0001) or via e-mail (entrox@failheap-challenge.com).

Smuggo
    Ah thought it said year not month. Friday afternoon brain melt :/

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Subforums for $10 a month?

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralara View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzel View Post

What's your Paypal?
    how much do i need to pay to be a mod again?
    Since you appear to be asking me... $500

Quote Originally Posted by Jolin View Post
    honestly i'd like to avoid things like that.

and because a few people asked me on IRC, this is not a "pay the forum or it dies" but a "hey guys, help me pay for it so i can save monies myself"

OH GOD ITS THE END OF FHC ITS JUST A MATTER OF TIME UNTIL 70/MONTH DONATION DRIVES

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EntroX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolin View Post
    honestly i'd like to avoid things like that.

and because a few people asked me on IRC, this is not a "pay the forum or it dies" but a "hey guys, help me pay for it so i can save monies myself"
    It wasn't a serious suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by EntroX View Post
    2. monthly subscriptions will be available, they will run for $1 and $5 a month.
    Seems like the best option tbh

Would happily subscribe to this internet spaceship forum. Amount I lurk this site it I may as well help keep it afloat.

WoT EU: Mortalitis

Quote Originally Posted by Fourfingers frankie View Post
    A) unban everyone banned currently
    B) stop banning people for stupid shit
    C) allow people to set up subforum for other games on trial
    D) make the forum less eve centric.

It started as eve and that's great, a lot of folks play eve sti and that's great but there are a lot that don't who should be tolerated and loved the shit out of.
    re: the banned people:

i am quite strict regarding bans without a reason, only oportunities when people actually get banned is for either abusing something or getting infracted into a ban.

regarding the less eve-centric thing i would be more than glad to do so, i will always open more game subforums if there is enough traffic to do so.

Also could you not use excess monies for advertising around other games. We should be able to bring in wot players and such.
    i am not sure how i would be able to do that, but i am always open to suggestions.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Who replaced Entrox with Calmdown?

Seriously though if you wanted a crack and whores party just say so, we're down for brown. You would probably get more money.

Would happily pay 5 a month but could you:

A) unban everyone banned currently
    B) stop banning people for stupid shit
    C) allow people to set up subforum for other games on trial
    D) make the forum less eve centric.

It started as eve and that's great, a lot of folks play eve sti and that's great but there are a lot that don't who should be tolerated and loved the shit out of.

this forum serves an eve community. if it isn't to your taste, move somewhere else.