hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 397986878889
Results 1,761 to 1,773 of 1773

Thread: Doctor Who (Jodie Whittaker 1st series): The Doctor has breasts

First episode was on last night.

Good to see the Flying Spaghetti Monster make an appearance.

I liked it. Felt a bit like a Tennant episode, but with better production values.

Was good. Script was a little wonky at times - the constant deaths in particular felt a bit forced - but was good.

Wow, is it just me or have they completely changed the way they've shot and art-directed the whole thing, anamorphic lenses, lots of deliberate flaring, crushed shadows and blue/gold grading, completely different framing and compositions. All in all hyper cinematic - a complete contrast with the daytime TV style over-acted characters. Really jarring.

But then again it's been a while since I've watched the show. Was kind of fun, but weird.

I noticed it in the first shot of the show and I've watched all the recent seasons of Dr. Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Wow, is it just me or have they completely changed the way they've shot and art-directed the whole thing, anamorphic lenses, lots of deliberate flaring, crushed shadows and blue/gold grading, completely different framing and compositions. All in all hyper cinematic - a complete contrast with the daytime TV style over-acted characters. Really jarring.

But then again it's been a while since I've watched the show. Was kind of fun, but weird.
    Apparently they've upped the budget so they can compete with stuff on Netflix.

I just hope they use some of that money on getting decent scripts.

The writing is what has made Dr Who unwatchable since the middle of the drawn out Amy Pond story line. Budget has rarely been a limiting factor for quality of the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

In fact, too high of a production budget just goes to highlight how bad some of the scripts are. Havent we seen this happen before in other moderately successful BBC show?
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Actually, the overall plot of the first episode wasn't too bad, no where in the same league of some of moffatts greatist timeywhimey adhd clusterfucks. The only issue I had with the plot it the forced, basically meaningless death at the end, I mean, did they even have to electrocute the spaghetti monster at the end?

Anyway, it wasn't the plot that I had an issue with anyway, just "HEY GUUYS, LETS' THEATRE ACT OUR WAY THROUGH THIS CINEMATIC SHOT PRODUCTION." They just need to tone it down a bit.

Actually, the overall plot of the first episode wasn't too bad, no where in the same league of some of moffatts greatist timeywhimey adhd clusterfucks. The only issue I had with the plot it the forced, basically meaningless death at the end, I mean, did they even have to electrocute the spaghetti monster at the end?
    It makes sense from the POV of the person who did the electrocuting. Her grandson was up on the cranes and the spaghetti monster was trying to stop people interfering with the hunt.

The spagbowl demon was, in fact, a direct threat to her grandsons life. Trying to kill it made perfect sense.

Our godlike view of everything that's going on isn't shared by the characters v0v

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    It makes sense from the POV of the person who did the electrocuting. Her grandson was up on the cranes and the spaghetti monster was trying to stop people interfering with the hunt.

The spagbowl demon was, in fact, a direct threat to her grandsons life. Trying to kill it made perfect sense.

Our godlike view of everything that's going on isn't shared by the characters v0v
    But they were all there when the doctor explained what it really was? Godlike view or not, that one just felt like a stretch - not too much of one mind, just in contrast to the rest of the relatively coherent story.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post

But they were all there when the doctor explained what it really was? Godlike view or not, that one just felt like a stretch - not too much of one mind, just in contrast to the rest of the relatively coherent story.
    An information collection device that kills everyone nearby after its mission is complete.

I'd want that dead if it was near my grandkid.

The second episode was pretty decent. I particularly like the reference to Venusian Akido. The 3rd Doctor's favourite martial art, IIRC.