hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pony Gaming and Mods

I'll leave it installed just in case they add something interesting I'll notice the update notes.

GameLoft monetized the crap out of the game, and left little substance beyond "collect all teh poniez".

They claimed it was for kids, but when it costs $50 worth of gems (or over 6 months of daily grinding) to get Celestia, who is just one of the dozen some ponies you can't get with just coins, well.. fuck that.

I decided I had it when I saw the game actually grows new hazards in the land you already payed an arm and a leg for so it can sap you of more coins/$.

Quote Originally Posted by Nu11u5 View Post
    I'll leave it installed just in case they add something interesting I'll notice the update notes.

GameLoft monetized the crap out of the game, and left little substance beyond "collect all teh poniez".

They claimed it was for kids, but when it costs $50 worth of gems (or over 6 months of daily grinding) to get Celestia, who is just one of the dozen some ponies you can't get with just coins, well.. fuck that.

I decided I had it when I saw the game actually grows new hazards in the land you already payed an arm and a leg for so it can sap you of more coins/$.
    Welcome to the world of mobile gaming. It's all about nickel & diming the customer while finding a few whales.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

I'm actually curious to see what, if any, protections they put on the game files themselves. Might be work having a poke at it to see if the game can be reverse engineered. At the very least asset extraction shouldn't be too hard.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

Re: Pony Gaming and Mods

There isn't going to be a lot in there that the community hasn't already out-done.

The music is rehash of the official soundtrack, the sfx are generic or ripped from the show, and the models are not that good. Maybe some of the pixel art.

Also the font is the open sourced alternative to the official 'Generation B' font used by Hasbro that was made by a community member.

Also the font is the open sourced alternative to the official 'Generation B' font used by Hasbro that was made by a community member.
    Ah, low production values, greed and stealing for good measure. Nice, nice...
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

Quote Originally Posted by theBlind View Post
    Ah, low production values, greed and stealing for good measure. Nice, nice...
    Actually both Celestia Medium and Celestia Medium Redux were released into the public domain. So not stolen. (Though Purple Tinker withdrew the original CM and urges people to buy Generation B instead, CM and CMR received a tacit nod from Gen B's creator.)

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.

Ah, I didn't realize that CM was practically a trace of Gen B, and that CMR was something different. I pretty much ignore anything with the name "Purple Tinker" attached to it anymore.

I pretty much ignore anything with the name "Purple Tinker" attached to it anymore.
    Pretty much this, possibly the biggest drama whore I have read about.

I am guessing this pony game is not worth it then?

WoT EU: Mortalitis

No. I appreciate the effort, but the money grabbing is painfully obvious and there is little more to the game.

It would have been better if the monetizing was toned down a bit, if managing the characters actually had some simple RPGish progression do it, if maintaining and expanding your city actually granted you other benefits than more money to buy more things, and if occasionally a big-bad would show up and you would have to risk a party of characters to defeat them in an actual quest sequence (optionally teaming up with a party from your friends list) - that would be a game I would play.

...anyone comfortable developing on Android?
    Last edited by Nu11u5; November 13 2012 at 02:32:06 PM.

No variety. Ridiculous expense curve.

FYI getting the full mane cast isn't enough, you have to go through the main story tasks the game gives you in order to get the true ending, according to an official Gameloft FAQ (I can confirm that activating all elements with the mane cast without doing the story results in nothing).

Some of these tasks involve spending 350 gems to buy a clock tower, or 50 hearts to get Scootaloo.

Why do you do this to us, Gameloft.
    Seriously, how the hell do people put up with this? It sounds like you'd have to spend hundreds of dollars to finish the game.

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post

FYI getting the full mane cast isn't enough, you have to go through the main story tasks the game gives you in order to get the true ending, according to an official Gameloft FAQ (I can confirm that activating all elements with the mane cast without doing the story results in nothing).

Some of these tasks involve spending 350 gems to buy a clock tower, or 50 hearts to get Scootaloo.

Seriously, how the hell do people put up with this? It sounds like you'd have to spend hundreds of dollars to finish the game.
    Why do you think they're giving it away, and why do you think they put so much effort into it? This game is a naked cash grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Evelgrivion View Post

Why do you think they're giving it away, and why do you think they put so much effort into it? This game is a naked cash grab.
    Back in my day developers designed games such that people would enjoy them, and then sold them at a reasonable price to recoup their costs. This was an arrangement both sides were happy with. Ahh, those were the days...

Now its LETS GET THE FOOT IN THE DOOR AND RAPE THE WALLETS

Apparently the game is unencrypted and easily modifiable with a hex editor. There's a guide or two on Reddit on how to make the timers, costs, payouts, and prize yields a bit saner (or you can just cheat completely). It still can't add any actually gameplay but I thought I would throw this out there.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MLPIOS/comme...oins_and_gems/

Apparently the game is unencrypted and easily modifiable with a hex editor. There's a guide or two on Reddit on how to make the timers, costs, payouts, and prize yields a bit saner (or you can just cheat completely). It still can't add any actually gameplay but I thought I would throw this out there.

The last game I can think of where that kind of cheating was mandatory was Ikaruga. And Ikaruga was a legitimately hard bullet hell game that only a Japanese shmup grandmaster could complete. The MLP game is just an exercise in exploiting parents.

I do like this quote from EqD though: "For instance: Celestia alone costs 950 gems. To get that many you either have to play every single day for over a year to farm enough gems, or spend 99.99 to buy the gems, which is enough money to buy an actual Celestia figure, the DVD box set of FiM Season 1, and still have enough left over for a brand new, full-priced retail game. "

The last game I can think of where that kind of cheating was mandatory was Ikaruga. And Ikaruga was a legitimately hard bullet hell game that only a Japanese shmup grandmaster could complete. The MLP game is just an exercise in exploiting parents.

I do like this quote from EqD though: "For instance: Celestia alone costs 950 gems. To get that many you either have to play every single day for over a year to farm enough gems, or spend 99.99 to buy the gems, which is enough money to buy an actual Celestia figure, the DVD box set of FiM Season 1, and still have enough left over for a brand new, full-priced retail game. "
    Minor derail but Ikaruga wasn't that hard. It was just hard if you wanted to rack up a decent score. A few days of pattern memorization would get you through it (Though with a shitty score.)

Now trying to do something like this was legitimately a pain in the ass:

-O

So I found out about MTSP - software that adds networked multiplayer, matchmaking lobbies, replays, and more to FM2k - built for 'Fighting is Magic'!

If anyone is interested in it, the latest version (that I am aware off - their website is a mess :S ) is here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/kirbv4

More information is on their forums:
    http://thetrotspot.net/index.php?/to...guide-to-mtsp/

..and, of course, this:
    http://thetrotspot.net/index.php?/to...download-link/

I've been playing the base game casually for a few months, and having this will be great.

If anyone needs extra help setting something up, feel free to ask.

(There is also a basic AI someone has been working on. If I find it, and it works, I'll link that as well)
    ((Nice. The dev of all this seems to be working closely with the FiM team to create hacks to work around some of FM2k's limitations - yay!))

Last edited by Nu11u5; November 24 2012 at 04:38:33 AM.

GameSpot ran a three-part, five-page article on Fighting is Magic which is still their front-page headline!

http://www.gamespot.com/features/the...rd-of-6402004/

In other news, Pony Platforming Project released a preview of Minty Fresh Adventure II. It's only a fun intro and mostly incomplete level crawls, but it's worth checking out.

http://www.dragon-mango.com/ponygame/mfa2-preview.htm

http://www.dragon-mango.com/ponygame/