hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout Equestria Universe - Discussion Thread [USE SPOILER TAGS FOR NEW CONTENT]

Yup. Read it last night before bed.
      Spoiler:
    P slow chapter. Glory be mad (non-shocker). Can't wait til a certain nuke kills a certain goddess.

Up to Ch10 in PH.

Writing is getting really good.

Tbh. I don't know should "Grimdark sa Fuck" really be applied here (And even more so in pure FoE). That makes one expect nearly parody levels of grimdark, like 40k at its most cheesy. Stories are dark and depressing and protagonists go trough Really Bad Shit... but I really feel that Grimdark tag has been devalued and turned into mockery and isn't really in place here.

PS. I'm still ages away from meeting the entire cast of PH, but I know who they are... And oh God now that is pure grimdark trolling in announcement, when Alicorn is nearly the most sane member of the group, and when certain bomb blows up, BJ & co have to deal with one more of them going mental. Welcome to Blackjacks posse, no sane ponies allowed!
    Last edited by dzajic; August 13 2012 at 04:22:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Up to Ch10 in PH.

Tbh. I don't know should "Grimdark sa Fuck" really be applied here (And even more so in pure FoE). That makes one expect nearly parody levels of grimdark, like 40k at its most cheesy. Stories are dark and depressing and protagonists go trough Really Bad Shit... but I really feel that Grimdark tag has been devalued and turned into mockery and isn't really in place here.
    Hoooo boy, I think you're in for a treat a bit further on

serious spoilers. quite a few of them:

Spoiler:
    It involves killing everyone she'd ever known and called family (whereupon she tries to kill herself), realizing P-21 had been raped his entire life (by Blackjack as well), going batshit insane and ripping pegasi apart and throwing their guts at their squadmates, and to top it off she gets her gangrenous, broken, legs nailed to the floor over a barrel whereupon she is raped multiple times in all orifices. While blind.

I think that covers a few of the worse ones, but there are plenty more to be had
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fortior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Up to Ch10 in PH.

Hoooo boy, I think you're in for a treat a bit further on

serious spoilers. quite a few of them:

Spoiler:
    It involves killing everyone she'd ever known and called family (whereupon she tries to kill herself), realizing P-21 had been raped his entire life (by Blackjack as well), going batshit insane and ripping pegasi apart and throwing their guts at their squadmates, and to top it off she gets her gangrenous, broken, legs nailed to the floor over a barrel whereupon she is raped multiple times in all orifices. While blind.

I think that covers a few of the worse ones, but there are plenty more to be had
    The worst part is the way that she is mentally torn down, not the way she is physically hurt (and that is saying something in itself)

Oh you gentleman misunderstood me. I never said FoE and PH aren't "grimdark as fuck" I just wanted to say that most of grimdark in fiction and especially fanfiction is over the top, heavy handed and ending up cheesy. And that FoE and PH are of sufficient literary quality to be ways above simple "grimdark" moniker. You wouldn't degrade "All quite on the western front" by calling it simply "grindark", would you?

Edit.

Oh they shoulda just sent the whiskey
    When they saw the trouble coming,
    Oh they shoulda just sent the whiskey!
    Then they wouldn’t be a-running.

Times are tough and things are bad
    So why be dumb and risky?
    When you see the trouble come,
    Ya better just send the whiskey!

Now, I hear wine is mighty fine
    It makes you feel so frisky!
    But trouble’s come, so get er done
    And don’t forget the whiskey!

Oh you shoulda just sent the whiskey,
    When ya heard that troubles coming
    Oh you shoulda just sent the whiskey
    Then all this woulda been nothing!

Now vodka grows from winter snows
    That make you cold and shivery!
    But that icy bite just don’t feel right
    So best send me a whiskey!

When you knew that I was coming!
    Then you wouldn’t get a thumping!

Times are rough and things are bad
    But don’t you get sad and weepy!
    When you know that I’m a coming
    Just send me your whiskey!
    That was a damn good fight! Anyone know the source on the song? Is it original or modified for PH, as I can't seam to google up anything other than back to PH.

Edit xyz. Trivial update. On to Ch14. Still so very good and occasionally so very awesome.
    Last edited by dzajic; August 17 2012 at 12:57:35 AM.

Spoiler:
    I've been waiting for ages for Glory's meltdown over BJ sexing up the batpony.

And it looks like the wait will be worth it.

Also monster dog penis. Yep.

Blackjack is the queen of music as well as whiskey

“When I was a little filly and the lights would turn down looo-o-ow. *
    The darkness and the shadows would make my fear grooo-o-ow.
    I’d hide under my bed from what I thought I saw
    But Gin Rummy said that wasn’t the way to deal with threats at all!”

“She’d say: Blackjack, you need to stand strong,
    Lower your center of maaa-a-ass
    You’ll see that they can’t hurt you
    If you cut them off with a paaa-a-ass!

Chop up all the ghosties!
    Tear up all the grossly!
    Glare up at the creepy!
    Smash up any weepy!
    Kick out at the kooky!
    Slice up all the spooky!

“And cut that big dumb scary face and kick him hard in the throat if he won’t leave you alone and if he comes at you again then he’s got another think coming and the very idea of him hurting you just wanna… hee hee HAHAHAHAHA!”

“Chooooooooooooooop!”

Ok fuck Somber. I'll keep reading for a while longer, but as far as I'm concerned PH isn't canon in FoE.

Spoiler:

So... that nice discussion we had about Rarity in best pony thread. So yeah Rampage... and end of Chapter 19. Really Rarity? Use a soul of serial child killer as a base for indestructible regeneration talisman? What could possibly go wrong. "Oh derp it didn't work first dozen times... lets torture and butcher couple dozen more people before I give up on this plan".

But Somber can't leave any of Mane 6 alone can he. Its not like entire freaking FoE was reconstructing how memoirs of how low they fell and horrible mistakes they did. No, lets pile pure stupid or pure evil on top of that.
    Hi ignorant Fluttershy, really nice guy that Dr Trueblood, some really promising work from him and his projects. Nothing sinister about him. Nothing at all.

Twilight. Why there is no problem at all with entering in a relationship with Big Mac under false identity. Its not like you are playing a ridiculously sick game with him and trough those lies betraying one of your best friends...

Also. Hey look Scootabot. Oh and there she dies, after two centuries she didn't survive half an hour in vicinity of Security. Hopefully Scoot's copy/upload is a in Crusader downstairs, as its kinda difficult to buy she could fit full upload into that small bot when FoE goes into detail explaining that Crusaders were best and biggest supercomputers they had, and were only hypothesized at the time of being capable of storing an upload.

Fuck the spoilers. Just checked the wiki. Wow, Sanguine isn't the final boss? Wow like Gorgon and Deus he is also suffering miserable victim... Really Somber?
    So who's left to be final Boss? Goldenblood in his not so secret moonbase?

Sad thing is I'm going to keep reading. Yeah its starting to pile grimdark and shades of gray (all near black, but still shades of gray) to the point where really present writing quality is being drowned out by the "everyone is a miserable victim, even those responsible for most of it".

Edit. Fuck I have to keep ranting, I'm just too angry at Somber at wasting great writing skills on bullshit.

Spoiler:

So again, Sanguine... The confirmed mustache twirling complete sociopath mad evil scientist guy. Is he razing entire cities in order to get EC1101 so he can rule the world? Become God? Oh no... this is Somber writing... He is just trying to save his family. I don't have WTF large enough. Honestly I opened the stupid wiki article just to confirm that due is still alive so I could say there is no misery and pain and slow death that BJ can inflict on him that is punishment enough for shit the guy did. Only for me to learn that he died in a pretty stupid way after doing so much more mustache twirling evil in the story ahead of me.
    Last edited by dzajic; August 20 2012 at 05:07:15 PM.

Yah, I'm less inclined to read PH even more now. I liked how in FoE, even at their lowest, you still empathized with the mane six. It sounds like Somber is just twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nu11u5 View Post
    Yah, I'm less inclined to read PH even more now. I liked how in FoE, even at their lowest, you still empathized with the mane six. It sounds like Somber is just twisted.
    I can't get into detail without spoiling (still doing a write-up about it, fuck trying to have words grasp this monster), but again with another reason to love Project Horizons
    Everyone has a reason
    Everyone

Both rarity and the doctor have their reasons, even though they do absolutely horrid things they never do it just "cause i felt like it", and the knowlage that they (and you as a reader) have of the really bad shit only underlines the sadness of their motivations
    The entire book is a epitome to "the end justifies the means", or a century-spanning story about losing yourself in the darkest pits of atrocity for the best of reasons

There is "ends justify the means" and "winning the war at all costs" and than there is forging consent for most gruesome medical procedures and hiding the deaths of innocent personal when your experiments run lose. And that is still among the least of his sins from back when law and order still existed and he was still a living pony. Rarity doing bad shit... we know just how tempting Black Book is (being Necronomicon, Untersprachiliche Kulten and Pankopic Manuscripts all rolled into one). Dear Doctor is a honest to god murderous sociopath with no justification for that. Oh he wanted to create war wining weapons for Luna at all costs. I'm just wondering how is it that Goldenblood was only one for arrested for treason after Luna (and likely Pinkie) discovered all the bad shit going under OIA. Though by that time most of top of Equestrian government and industry were deserving to be lined up and shot (yes including M6), either for criminal negligence and incompetence, treason or for simply being sadistic murderous fucks. Ofc than the bombs fell and punishment was delivered.

And considering that GBs fate is still unknown. And wiki says nothing. He's the main bad guy and he's on the moon. Luno Astro Stable 2, likely re-purposed and finished construction under the name of Project Horizons. Its the freaking title of the fic people, can't be more obvious that that. Though he could have created a portal to Cthulu land and made a bolthole there, with dimensional gate being beneath Core. That could nicely explain the enervation fields.

Big line break here. PH really takes the prewar story in a completely different direction. In FoE you scream at them for missing huge important things and making lethal mistakes, but that was greatest part of what made FoE such great tragedy story. Everyone was doing their best with the best of intentions... and it still lead nearly inevitably to Armageddon. In PH everyone's making deals with the devil and shutting their ears and eyes while chanting "ends justify the means". IMHO ofc, just and always imho.
    Last edited by dzajic; August 20 2012 at 08:05:48 PM.

HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE A TITAN LordsServant's Avatar
    Dzajc - just read the story, you're wrecking the piss out of it by basically cliff noting it on a wiki :P

There have been parts of the story
      Spoiler:
    the parts leading up to when BJ died the first time
    where I got all depressed and was like "wtf is this srsly why are we even doing this this story is fucking awful oh god make it stop" and then you look back and parts of it made sense. I re-read all the chapters up to Trueblood at least half a dozen times at my old job and in my free time just to pass the time (I have it on my ipad).

Theres a whole pile of sneaky stuff that makes literally no sense the first time, but reading it back over having read the later chapters you think to yourself "holy shit this makes a HUGE amount of sense and explains some stuff I had no idea about."

Lots of stuff somber writes at the time makes no sense, but I have faith in him(her? still not sure if we are to refer to somber by his human or projected pony gender) to wrap up the story in a compelling way. Somber's done an excellent job of putting things together so far, and everything will eventually make sense and start to tie itself up.

That said
      Spoiler:
    I do think somber has gotten a little carried away with "OMG EXPLOSHUNZ AND DEATH AND HEART WRENCHING AND RAPE AND TORTURE AND MURDER." I still consider the first "book" of the story to be the best part. The worldbuilding, balancing of horror with comedy, and the extremely well-written grimdark (I widely consider chapter 6 to be among my favorite if not my favorite chapter...its perfectly terrifying as you don't know whats going on, and a lot of stuff is left to your imagination, with just enough thrown in to lead you down that path ex. "glimpse of a dark object covered in meat" *shivers*...)

I am a Lamborghini tractor.

We all know what curiosity does to cats and impatient readers. Meh... I read tons of critical spoilers for FoE and still enjoyed it greatly. Hopefully same will work with PH. Done with my SQL chores for today, off to see/read BJ return to 99 and for stuff to happen.

Spoiler:

It were awesome moments when we learned about Dues and Stonewing. That worked. And also with Rampage, you get shocked for what she did but you still feel for her.
    But god damn Trueblood. Murderous maniacs employing murderous maniacs and monsters (them beings victims of his own creation). Sorry Somber I don't care who or what he wants to save with EC-1101... he is still a sick sociopath, has been for two centuries, and that (getting the stupid file, opening Chimera, making new batch of Blanks, harvesting organs for his family... yeah I read the entire damn article on him), and nearly all other things he ever did, could have been done without all the blood murder and rape they ended up including.

Otoh once Goldenblood is revealed to be alive in some form (I'm betting on it) and being the mastermind of IT (whatever IT turns out to be) (and again I'm betting on him being final boss) I'm fairly confident his motivation won't be anything as prosaic.

Also... I was under illusion/expectations that Lacunea was going to be most stable member of the group. So much lol. And so we all wait for certain bomb in certain place to go off, so one more member of BJs gang can go even more broken/insane than they currently are.

Edit. Not spoilerish as is pure speculation on my part. While it would ruin or undermine some key aspects of story, "people just being people"... it would be a great relief and a explenation of everyone going full retard if we learn there really is Cthulhu or corpse of Cthulhu buried under Hoofington. Because forget the enervation fields, even without it that city and entire area around it really looks to have been cursed for a looooong time

Edit 2.

So that Chapter 22
      Spoiler:
    Ah... the big kick to the gut, spoiled to me by lolpics on derpibooru and deviantart. Poor, poor Blackjack. Can't imagine has unspoiled readers felt when they got to last 1/4 of the chapter. "Yeey she finally saved someone. 300+ saved. Oh wait, or maybe not..." At least Somber wasn't mega evil and the that final big "ante up" in next chapter.

Edit 3. Ch26

Spoiler:
    Holy crap two chapters in which no one died (24 and 25), just couple attempted suicides. And I'm very happy for stuff that I couldn't spoil to myself because wiki isn't that thorough for PH as its for FoE. Though any one who played New Vegas knew that Mr Horse (really? "Mr Horse"? I think "Mr Barn" or some variation would sound much better and fit better) was bound to turn up. Sanguine looks convinced GB is still alive, as expected. And look, there is "Eater of Souls" buried under the city. Should link Zoidberg's "I'm acting astonished" clip here.

PS. I've heard about Chekhov's gun... but Chekhov nuke? And two of them? Gee I wonder will the two unfired megaspells eventually return to the story.
    PPS. Actually finished Ch26. Those Hoofington tunnels... There is bad shit and then there is that. But it int Fallout, could be Metro, could be STALKER... doubleplus good though.

Non spoiler question. Does enough meaningful stuff happen in next 25 chapters? Because I constantly see people complaining that PH got infected with Bleech or DBZ levels of filler?
    Last edited by dzajic; August 25 2012 at 04:13:49 PM.

No updates in like a month...

Isn't he rewriting early chapters? I know 1 and 2 have been rewritten.

How can you say no updates when latest ch. went up 15 days ago?

I've gotten over dark and darker and everything worstest thing about PH. Writing still manages to make up for it.
    Though ... as more and more deep secret plot is revealed... yep, the feeling I had when I first heard about PH, its coming back to annoy me. Having a OC character (GB) so ridiculously involved in everything and crucial to everything is putting tension on suspension of disbelief. Great evil (or gray) masterminds are a cheap plot device that is very difficult to pull off without too much cheese. And cheese is last thing PH needed, but otoh "Love, loyalty and secrets" is pure cheese and ham... very large ham.

Forgot to mention in above multiedited post, Somber really likes to punch old wounds. We already had enough info to know that even the "monsters" were victims. But finding about Doofus? And reading Stonewing's farewell letter. It hurts dude.

The Internet came through for me today. You may now envy me.

:swag:
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

I'm jelly. Keeping my eye open for the next run.

Quote Originally Posted by Nu11u5 View Post
    I'm jelly. Keeping my eye open for the next run.
    This a thousand times

WoT EU: Mortalitis

I finally caught up on PH today. I'm still enjoying where he's taking it. But motherofgod will it ever end?

Reading through this thread, I guess I should go read Pink Eyes now.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe space View Post
    burning straight up when surrounded by bad guys... when you explode you will be a rising beautiful testament to el33t pvp escaping into the ether above those beneath you and they will immediately realize, upon viewing your bold presence above them, their inferiority and they will feel bad for what they done.
    EVE: Raz Lictor
    WoT: ArmoredPie