hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout Equestria Universe - Discussion Thread [USE SPOILER TAGS FOR NEW CONTENT]

Fallout Equestria Universe - Discussion Thread [USE SPOILER TAGS FOR NEW CONTENT]

As a thank you note (and subliminal promise to be good to our generous forum overlords), let's give this a shot.

Since the megathread is currently being taken over by FO:E chatter, this thread is now the place for Fallout Equestria Universe discussions. Spoilers in this thread are expected, but please don't go out of your way to ruin a story for someone. If you are looking this thread, do not complain about getting spoiled. If possible, use spoilers for brand-new content. Feel free to post anything related to Fallout Equestria in here, including side fics, pictures, and anything else that crosses your mind.

Old but good pics in the spoiler.

Spoiler:

Please keep anything not FO:E related to other threads, or the MLP Megathread. If this doesn't catch on, feel free to delete.
    Last edited by GreenYoshi; August 2 2012 at 06:59:32 PM. Reason: Reposting some relevant pics

First?

I've finally done it. Longest book I've ever read. By far. On and off line. Did all other stuff well so I could just tell my literature teacher in high school I just wasn't able to read "War and Peace".
    Ending was... good. Really good. Satisfying. Just a bit annoyed that both finding last two elements and activation of GECK were off screen. Everything was good. I can't believe that even being this long I feel like story was rushed at times and important stuff happened off screen.

I hereby also officially apologize to KKat and all fans of good storytelling for ever comparing the situation to end of FO3.

Will write more later, need to have breakfast (7pm here btw, yes breakfast.... I kinda tend to lose time quickly when I read) and actually study. (With these tormented eyes!?)

PS. I wonder will I brave PH. You say that its much darker when it comes to what characters come trough (or dont come trough); but like in all my postapoc reading, saddest moments were learning fates of Mane 6 and seeing how Equestira went to hell.

How is "New Beginnings"? Being about an Alicorn sure has potential, but also I expect hugely reliant on authors talent to pull it off.

Just a thought, can we put a big [SPOILERS INSIDE] tag on the thread title?

dzajic, I'd recommend reading PH. It weaves an excellent narrative in its own right, and gives a bit more insight into the world before the fall.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

Here I am with coffee cup in front of me and Horizons Ch1 on my screen. Yeey so much productive work on my uni project done today.

Anyway. Hopefully not a major spoiler question for PH? Please oh please, don't tell me Blackjakc is also stuck with only telekinesis for the entire story? Its... boring to read same thing again. Or at least that's what I fear now.

PS. Oh stable 99 u y so fucked up. Question. According to wiki, stable 99 was a control stable? So all fucking up was not Scoot's responsibility? (In that case, thank God once for a change that something horrible about a Stable isn't Scootaloo's mistake) Its inhabitants turned it into shit?
    Last edited by dzajic; August 2 2012 at 06:49:12 PM.

HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE A TITAN LordsServant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Here I am with coffee cup in front of me and Horizons Ch1 on my screen. Yeey so much productive work on my uni project done today.

Anyway. Hopefully not a major spoiler question for PH? Please oh please, don't tell me Blackjakc is also stuck with only telekinesis for the entire story? Its... boring to read same thing again. Or at least that's what I fear now.

PS. Oh stable 99 u y so fucked up. Question. According to wiki, stable 99 was a control stable? So all fucking up was not Scoot's responsibility? (In that case, thank God once for a change that something horrible about a Stable isn't Scootaloo's mistake) Its inhabitants turned it into shit?
    Do you want spoilers or not? :P

If yes, read the spoilers, if not, then stop asking :P

Blackjack and Telekinesis (Not a major spoiler)
      Spoiler:

No she's not stuck with just TK. Theres some Twilight-Tier spoilers involved, so don't ask again unless you want some MAJOR plot lines spoiled.

Stable 99 Fuckery(Some somewhat serious spoilers, but nothing too big)
      Spoiler:

They were given a ton of birth control and a nice stable and told to just do w/e they felt was normal. What ended up happening was the Overmare at one time had a male as a foal. The male's and some females all said "He should be the next overmare." Others disagreed that it should be a female-only position. There was a gigantic civil war which nearly destroyed the stable (thus leading to it's condition in Blackjack's era) and is the "incident" they all reference. After that, they basically wiped out all the bucks but 20 of each race for breeding purposes as an extreme "female supremacist" group got power in the aftermath of the incident.

There are still several "modifications" to the stable that are active from this incident, and one plays a HUGE role in the story.

I am a Lamborghini tractor.

Ok thanks. That should satisfy my curiously enough to allow me to concentrate on actually reading the story. Though I don't think I'll be able to "blitz" trough PH in mere three weeks.

General FoE comments. It was really nice touch ( I mean it was really black and hard point for characters but good reading) when author started making everyone realize that even raiders they were killing were people. And with none (other than Steel Hooves) of main crew being a trained soldier... they deal with it as poorly as any sane human being would. Story does a really nice job of deconstruction, both of general "RPG main character" and usual role playing tropes and expectations. Though deconstructing of "Fallout the game" started long before Arbu with the Party Time Mint-al subplot.

I think I've said it already. But so much about story meta properties clicked when I read that KKat has been GM-ing for 15 years.

Also authors determination to get the story done could be a good explanation of at least part of the reason why ending couple of chapters seam rushed.

Sure there are plot holes. First major (but from what you guys have told me, one that PH starts to cover) is "How the buck did Princesses and Elements allow Equestrian to go to war in the first place!?" Second major is two fold. One would expect war would have resummoned or resurrected Windigo spirits. And deaths of M6 should have caused Discord to be free once again (on this actually we do hear in story conversations). Minor one, "Curios Tale of Midnight Shower" events should have taken place long before the end (I got understanding it was taking place not long after Luna took throne). And she had ordered a ride back to Canterlot. Someone should have noticed she was kinda... hanged in her cottage and all that.

Edit.
    @Kirjave post
    Hmm. Thanks, I didn't know that.

Just reread last chapter, epilogue and afterward, trying to not miss things due to hurry.

I once again apologize, no way to compare the ending with either FO3 ending or "join" ending of Tactics. Littlepip can unplug whenever she needs, but its not very smart for her due to all the physical damage from all the wounds and pink mist and broadcasters. In theory, as long as Spike is alive she could also leave the hub for a picnic. Considering all she's been trough, it didn't end being that bad deal for her.

Felt really sorry seeing how much has Celestia's spirit diminished. Ofc reader can dream that one day in future of FoE, when they rebuild a magitech civilization there is chance for both Tia and Littlepip to walk out of the hub as alicorns.

Edit 3.
    More on the ending. Much more hopeful and promising than any of Fallout endings. Though that is maybe because the problem of game sequels having to continue the setting as grimdark postapoc and belittling all the good you did in earlier games, its been a while since I finished FO or FO2 play-trough so I'm not certain. But this isn't the place to whine about Fallout.
    Last edited by dzajic; August 3 2012 at 12:06:41 AM.

I think the reason why there is no Discord or Windigo spirits in FoE is because the plot draft was pretty much closed when episodes that featured them aired. IIRC KKat finished the story somewhere late December 2011, about 3 months after The Return of Harmony and not even 1 month after Hearth's Warming Eve. I don't think it was possible to incorporate them into the story in any meaningful way that far into writing it.

More on the ending. Much more hopeful and promising than any of Fallout endings. Though that is maybe because the problem of game sequels having to continue the setting as grimdark postapoc and belittling all the good you did in earlier games, its been a while since I finished FO or FO2 play-trough so I'm not certain. But this isn't the place to whine about Fallout.
    I'm personally of the opinion that it fits FoE so much better if it did not have a happy ending. Leaving a glimmer of hope that things might improve works, but for a setting like Fallout, I think it fits in line with how the story has been told in general.

That said, I'm generally a fan of "bad" endings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirjave View Post
    I think the reason why there is no Discord or Windigo spirits in FoE is because the plot draft was pretty much closed when episodes that featured them aired. IIRC KKat finished the story somewhere late December 2011, about 3 months after The Return of Harmony and not even 1 month after Hearth's Warming Eve. I don't think it was possible to incorporate them into the story in any meaningful way that far into writing it.
    Yeah, this is pretty much it. Same thing with Candence and Twilights brother (who held a goddamn pink shield bubble over Canterlot!) and the Changelings, who definately would've been awesome.

And the reason for the war escalating and going to shit is quite nicely explained in Project Horizons as well.
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

I was pretty sure that Shining Armor's bubble shield was a quiet nod to FO:E as soon as I saw it. The devs know their fanbase.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post
    I was pretty sure that Shining Armor's bubble shield was a quiet nod to FO:E as soon as I saw it. The devs know their fanbase.

-O
    I'm not too sure, I just think it was a happy coincidence. Devs/Story writers aren't supposed to read fanfiction due to IP-concerns, and with the production lead-times I think they'd be hard pressed to squeeze in such a big plot device that late. But Little Pip in Luna Eclipsed along with this certainly paints a certain picture... If they make Steelhooves a character however I'll give up
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

Going to have to do a writeup for this thread
    Before that however, a note that blew my mind alot from when i re-read the first bits of PH during the last few days of holidays, one of of the stories insane little details that just... ah, can't really find words for it

Spoiler:

After fluttershys medical center stasis pods problemfixing trouble, one of blackjacks strange dreams involve her first kill, or rather the first time she is tasked with bringing one of the stables males to medical to be put down
    She describes how she puts it off for a bit, slacks around and then eventually gets the task done
    She leads him to the medibay, he gets an injection and death follows, nice and calm

Later in the story (after the stable-99-revisit, don't have the exact part of it) blackjack describes the long a long walk to the medical bay with an old buck with the same striped mane that she has, while it's not explicitly stated what it describes is blackjack leading her father to his execution, the point of it being him stating that "it's not what you are given, but what you do with it that matters"
    I always found that whole section absolutly gutwrenching, but there is another thing to it

In the first passage i described, Blackjack is talking about the same event, the mane are the same on both of

The first thing time she is asked to take someone to medical to be put down, she is tasked with taking her own father, and she does it willingly due to living her old mindset of "don't think about it"
    The first thing the overmare does is asking her to be part in killing a bit of herself, and her lack of thinking makes her do it

Compared to a lot of the evil and cruel things that happen in the story to her and others, that event still holds the place pretty far up on the "OH GOD WHY" scale

Not really on topic but still. So I never played FO3. Playing New Vegas, leveled and raised my science and med skills recently. Never checked full list of craftables on wiki or anything similar. Campfire, lets check for any new craftables. "Party time mint... ah sorry, mentats". My mind broke for a moment there, and I was somewhere... very far from Nevada Wasteland.

Not really on topic but still. So I never played FO3. Playing New Vegas, leveled and raised my science and med skills recently. Never checked full list of craftables on wiki or anything similar. Campfire, lets check for any new craftables. "Party time mint... ah sorry, mentats". My mind broke for a moment there, and I was somewhere... very far from Nevada Wasteland.
    Yeah, happens alot

Worst so far i think was when i found a can of "chlorine" in one of the stores in freeside

Haha, that's pretty awesome. I will admit that I too picked up FNV after reading FO:E, and have a pretty strong aversion to using party time mentats due to FO:E. Also, good choice picking up New Vegas. It's still got loads of flaws related to the engine and the short dev time that Obsidian got shafted with, but it's a far greater game than FO3.

Also, since it's tangentially-related, if you have Old World Blues you might want to pick this up: http://www.mediafire.com/?pc65viprulij6lb (I'd link the demonstration videos but they're full of spoilers) It's a rather talkative smartsuit that now spews pony-related voice clips.

Also there's a mod to put Lil Macintosh in the game: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/43934

Going to spoiler some off-topic Fallout modding discussion (not actual FNV spoilers):

Spoiler:
    As far as FNV mods go, I'd recommend grabbing a few of the quality of life mods:

First for any heavy modding, you're going to want Fallout Mod Manager: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/36901

I'd recommend EVE - Essential Visual Enhancements, it doesn't change gameplay, but it really spices up the look of combat: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/42666

WMX - Weapon Mods Expanded is really nice, it makes basically every weapon moddable in lore-friendly ways: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/39651

Which leads to The Weapon Mod Menu, which lets you demod weapons and is generally just a nice addition: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/44515

I'd grab the Weapon Retexture Pack too, it's a very, very high quality retexture of all the vanilla weapons: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/38285

The oHUD mod lets you tweak every aspect of your HUD to get it to display (and hide) whatever you want: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/44757

You'll need to grab the Mod Configuration Menu to make it work correctly though: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/42507

That's all for quality of life mods. There are some really cool gameplay-changing mods out there, if you're interested I can do another post. (Or you know, dig up the proper thread in Other Games and post there like I should.)

-O

Oh I'm definitely getting Lil Mac. Thanks for info. Currently using only Mojave Mission whatever fix compilation mod.

And so much yaaap to the untold question. It was FoE that finally got me to try out NV.

Edit. The ponies have finally gotten to me. If anyone ever told me a modded weapon in TES/Fallout game would make me go daaaaw and watery eyed at same time...
    Last edited by dzajic; August 4 2012 at 07:00:31 PM.

HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE A TITAN LordsServant's Avatar
    Oh I'm definitely getting Lil Mac. Thanks for info. Currently using only Mojave Mission whatever fix compilation mod.

And so much yaaap to the untold question. It was FoE that finally got me to try out NV.

Edit. The ponies have finally gotten to me. If anyone ever told me a modded weapon in TES/Fallout game would make me go daaaaw and watery eyed at same time...
    Get ahold o urself man ur making me go all....daawwww bAhahahahaha./me sniffles and wipes tears. Its freakin beautiful man.....

I am a Lamborghini tractor.

Lets throw out the honorable mentions for Pink Eyes and Heroes. Both good spinoffs. Pink Eyes has completed and is short, I got a bit sad at the end (no joke).

Heroes so far is FAR FAR more focused than PH, but at half the length it has plenty of time to visit namek still (+rep to you if you get the reference).
    Heroes has a MUCH shorter list of characters, and while it assaults you with many seemingly different factions to start with, it all helps you relate with the dimwitted MC who can't make heads or tails of the factions either.

I think it is nearing the 2/3rds dont point. I'm probably wrong though.

Pink eyes is just good, go read it.

Now for my gripes with PH:

Leave namek, wrap it up, we get it.

It's becoming commonplace to be face to face with a deadly deamon fire horse smooze acidy thing soul sucking radiation thing. It stops thrilling me about the 4th or 5th time.

Let move the plot up and finish the story. Shouldn't there have been a certain explosion by now in a certain valley?
    I get that when you're out to save the world there are usually time for side quests, but this is getting silly.

There had better be a clear path to the conclusion in the next chapter, I'm tired of being on Namek.

Thats one thing the original story got right: even though its over 600k words, you never feel like you're trapped on namek.

Speaking of pinkeyes,

Humanoid enemies in PinkEyes? Space suits? Do I even want to know? Advice please, should I pause PH and go read PinkEyes?