hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast

Thread: Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines

try harder mate

Quote Originally Posted by Snottus View Post
    So reinstalled this - haven't, iirc, played it since launch, and then I played a bloodthirsty Brujah.
    Installed the TFN mod hoping to get a deeper RP experience.

Movement and combat is absolute shite, not helped by the fact I decided to play a charismatic talker type character.
    Level design is atrocious.
    So far the story has been a giant MEH and I've gotten to the point where I'm considering uninstalling since so many missions have no other option than combat..

Had this game come out today I probably wouldn't even pirate it.
    Every time someone posts stuff like this I'm wondering what other games they like.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

He's not wrong about the movement. When I was playing I thought it was a game based on the Morrowind game engine with how clunky moving around was.

When I saw it was Source based it blew my mind.

Not to say the rest of his rant is correct...

Shooting was pretty meh but third person melee i found actually okay.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Really?

Well I strongly disagree.
    Movement feels like you're floating around instead of actually walking/running.
    Melee/brawl attacks feel delayed and slow, not to mention hitboxes seem almost random.

I'm really disappointed to see just how much of the game requires you to fight your way through with no alternate talk or sneak solution - it really is quite a linear game.

My main gripe however is the level design - it is absolutely awful. About as '90s as you can get.
    I just recently went through a sewer to reach the Nosferatu - a majority of it was designed around jumping challenges and prolonged combat sequences so boring I started using noclip to skip it.
    Nowhere on earth will you find sewers constructed similar to these, which also corresponds to the rest of the maps in the game (to reach the beach in Santa Monica you have to go through a parking garage for example).

Oh, and the ubiquitous vent-canals/pipes you can crawl through.... What was it with the '90s and their fascination with humongous ventilation shafts.
    My vampire's apartment building for instance doesn't have stairs, it has vent-canals...
    Oh, and even though I'm a really strong supernatural creature I can't open/break certain vent-covers until I've progressed far enough in the story - damned lazy design.

Anyway - this game is more about the story and character interaction, I get that, and it is enjoyable in that regard.
    But from a gameplay perspective? Awful.
    The world is against me, it wouldn't be fair otherwise"

Really?

Melee/brawl attacks feel delayed and slow, not to mention hitboxes seem almost random.

I'm really disappointed to see just how much of the game requires you to fight your way through with no alternate talk or sneak solution - it really is quite a linear game.

My main gripe however is the level design - it is absolutely awful. About as '90s as you can get.
    I just recently went through a sewer to reach the Nosferatu - a majority of it was designed around jumping challenges and prolonged combat sequences so boring I started using noclip to skip it.
    Nowhere on earth will you find sewers constructed similar to these, which also corresponds to the rest of the maps in the game (to reach the beach in Santa Monica you have to go through a parking garage for example).

Oh, and the ubiquitous vent-canals/pipes you can crawl through.... What was it with the '90s and their fascination with humongous ventilation shafts.
    My vampire's apartment building for instance doesn't have stairs, it has vent-canals...
    Oh, and even though I'm a really strong supernatural creature I can't open/break certain vent-covers until I've progressed far enough in the story - damned lazy design.

Anyway - this game is more about the story and character interaction, I get that, and it is enjoyable in that regard.
    You do realise this is an old, unfinished game yes? (they went out of business before launch). Also you need to compare it to games of the same time. And in that comparison it was pretty good story wise. Obviously its shit-tier with today's competition.

Really?

I still want to know what games you love for comparisons sake. Because it smells like you have some ridiculous expectations and preconceptions here. Most of the amazing games of the early 2000s had really gnarly bits born out of experimentation and shitty budget and one has to love them for the whole that they represent.

Last edited by Isyel; November 13 2017 at 01:56:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    I still want to know what games you love for comparisons sake. Because it smells like you have some ridiculous expectations and preconceptions here. Most of the amazing games of the early 2000s had really gnarly bits born out of experimentation and shitty budget and one has to love them for the whole that they represent.

Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate 1/2, Kotor 1/2, Dragon Age, Deus Ex, Gotic 1/2, Morrowind/Obilvion to name a few.
    Not to mention the original UFO/X-COM which even today can hold it's own - sure the graphics can't measure up, but the entirety of the game/gameplay most certainly can.

Now, all of the aforementioned games have their issues, big and small, and nitpicks I could dig into - however, I've played all of them in recent times and none of them had gameplay issues so severe I considered stopping.

The only thing Bloodlines, imho, has going for it, is the story and dialogue which, at the time I will most certainly admit, was far above and beyond any of the competitors.
    That said, I still stand by my earlier comments regarding gameplay and level design, which generally just gets worse as the game progresses (I'm currently attacking the Sabbat at the Hallowbrook Hotel).

EDIT: Now if only Ubisoft (hate em or love em) could take their Assassin's Creed engine and turn it into World of Darkness, of whichever era really, and add some decent dialogue options and maybe even a cool story... Man o man that would be something.

Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate 1/2, Kotor 1/2, Dragon Age, Deus Ex, Gotic 1/2, Morrowind/Obilvion to name a few.
    Not to mention the original UFO/X-COM which even today can hold it's own - sure the graphics can't measure up, but the entirety of the game/gameplay most certainly can.

Now, all of the aforementioned games have their issues, big and small, and nitpicks I could dig into - however, I've played all of them in recent times and none of them had gameplay issues so severe I considered stopping.

The only thing Bloodlines, imho, has going for it, is the story and dialogue which, at the time I will most certainly admit, was far above and beyond any of the competitors.
    That said, I still stand by my earlier comments regarding gameplay and level design, which generally just gets worse as the game progresses (I'm currently attacking the Sabbat at the Hallowbrook Hotel).

EDIT: Now if only Ubisoft (hate em or love em) could take their Assassin's Creed engine and turn it into World of Darkness, of whichever era really, and add some decent dialogue options and maybe even a cool story... Man o man that would be something.
    See in my eyes most of those barring maybe bg have issues just as huge as this or are much more lacking in many other areas and are not as charming a package. And oblivion deserves special mention as it is just a complete piece of shit of a game I will forever hate. Reee.

The haunted house, the hotel, meeting the nosferatu, the mad mansion, the hunters etc. left a huge impression on me when I first played and haven't gotten any less enjoyable on the 6 or so times I replayed it in years after.

better get your head down mate

Wait, did someone just suggest combat in Morrowind, Gothic 1/2 and Deus Ex is still serviceable toady? It was fucking awful 15 years ago and it's awful now.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesbones View Post
    Wait, did someone just suggest combat in Morrowind, Gothic 1/2 and Deus Ex is still serviceable toady? It was fucking awful 15 years ago and it's awful now.
    Counterpoint: Morrowind had spears.

call me the asstrynamer cos im always tryna get that ass
    So reinstalled this - haven't, iirc, played it since launch, and then I played a bloodthirsty Brujah.
    Installed the TFN mod hoping to get a deeper RP experience.

Movement and combat is absolute shite, not helped by the fact I decided to play a charismatic talker type character.
    Level design is atrocious.
    So far the story has been a giant MEH and I've gotten to the point where I'm considering uninstalling since so many missions have no other option than combat..

Had this game come out today I probably wouldn't even pirate it.
    ye this game lived off the hype of that one level

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Malkavian playthrough singlehandedly propels VtMB into cult-classic status though

(also you can totes stealth everything with the invisibility spell, the sewer section is aids tho, that's about the only thing I agree with Snottus on)

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Malkavian playthrough singlehandedly propels VtMB into cult-classic status though

(also you can totes stealth everything with the invisibility spell, the sewer section is aids tho, that's about the only thing I agree with Snottus on)
    This.

This.

I played Malkavian for a while for shits and giggles, but it just isn't my thing, at all (yes I know I'm missing out on some glorious dialogue and insanity).
    Character interactions and voice-acting in this game was/is phenomenal, which was what made it so special back in the day.

But seriously though, from the moment you enter the Hallowbrook Hotel, the game is just one endless fight-scene so poorly executed in Every regard (the level design is worse than JK Outcast) I had to cheat just to get to see the ending of the game.
    Oh yes, it is totally believable that you the player, a fledgling vampire, can fight through and outsmart literally Hordes of older more experienced vampires and various beasts - singlehandedly......

Anyway, finished the game - imho, it is better left unplayed in modern times and instead remembered fondly as a classic.
    Each to their own though.

Oh yes, it is totally believable that you the player, a fledgling vampire, can fight through and outsmart literally Hordes of older more experienced vampires and various beasts - singlehandedly......
    I thought jack and becket were doing most of the outsmarting?

This.

I played Malkavian for a while for shits and giggles, but it just isn't my thing, at all (yes I know I'm missing out on some glorious dialogue and insanity).
    Character interactions and voice-acting in this game was/is phenomenal, which was what made it so special back in the day.

But seriously though, from the moment you enter the Hallowbrook Hotel, the game is just one endless fight-scene so poorly executed in Every regard (the level design is worse than JK Outcast) I had to cheat just to get to see the ending of the game.

Anyway, finished the game - imho, it is better left unplayed in modern times and instead remembered fondly as a classic.
    Each to their own though.
    Christ you're a miserable bastard. And I thought I was bad.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    It's all the taxi driver m8

It's all the taxi driver m8
    Caine!!!!!

VtM:B has a great story, but the gameplay has not aged well at all. Similar in the vein of Deus Ex.