hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules etc

Rules etc

So lets be clear here, this isn't General Chat. You're held to a higher quality of posting if you want to retain access to this place.

Currently you can apply to the group by going to Settings > Permission Groups. It should be clear which one you should be applying for. From there, I'll be looking at your posting history and considering whether it's worth letting you in. If you've got an issue with that well...sorry, but that's the way it is for the moment. I'll also be moderating here in particular, so send me a PM if you have any issues with posts in this subsection.

Depressing stuff aside, hopefully we'll actually be able to have some decent debates without all of the shitposting. I know the gun control debate tanked in General, and there were several things that contributed to both those threads demises. If all goes according to plan we shouldn't run into any sort of issues here.

Happy posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomed Predator
    Sofia Roseburn; quiet, well mannered librarian by day; blood crazed, psychotic demigod by night.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Just to clarify sofia, this subforum is for political and world issue discussion, right? What should be posted here?

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomed Predator
    Sofia Roseburn; quiet, well mannered librarian by day; blood crazed, psychotic demigod by night.

His Excellency, Moderator 4 Life, Field Marshal Drakma, VC[C], DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the Internet in General and Failheap Challenge in Particular, and in addition the uncrowned King of Rule 2 Donor
    I hereby solemnly swear to abide by the rules and regulations as laid out by the moderator and administrators of this subforum.

By placing my signature below I am affirming my acceptance of these rules and regulations.

THE PUNISHED
    Are there any topics that are "off limits" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralara View Post
    Are there any topics that are "off limits" ?
    Moderation.
    Coming soon(tm).

<3 Entrox.

I would like to request a joking (deadly serious) rule that gives an instant 24-hour ban for an applied Godwin in this subforum.

Quote Originally Posted by Roam View Post
    I would like to request a joking (deadly serious) rule that gives an instant 24-hour ban for an applied Godwin in this subforum.
    Except that of all the subforums, this is the one that's most likely to actually have a relevant and on-topic discussion involving that subject.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roam View Post
    Except that of all the subforums, this is the one that's most likely to actually have a relevant and on-topic discussion involving that subject.

-O
    You know who also said that?

Hi-.... *Has access removed*

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    user was gassed for this post

Would it be useful to have a sticky thread listing serious business members specialities/degrees etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuozzo
    The evolution of the meme. From shipspinning to meatspinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorkin Desal View Post
    Would it be useful to have a sticky thread listing serious business members specialities/degrees etc?
    I don't think so. This isn't the 'experts subforum', but the serious discussion forum. Anyone can have a serious discussion, regardless of expertise.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

I don't think so. This isn't the 'experts subforum', but the serious discussion forum. Anyone can have a serious discussion, regardless of expertise.

-O
    I generally count an expert's opinion more than anyone else's opinion as they're the people who have spent the time, effort and a lot of money learning about specific subjects. In my opinion the general public (myself included) don't know enough about these things and should definitely try and use experts to try and gain an understanding. (I know there are exceptions to this, but overall I trust an expert on law to tell me about law over someone who's read a few books and articles online)

And who is going to verify these? So even if you are providing an educated and compelling argument and you don't have that eHarvard Degree nailed on the FHC 'love me' wall; other posters would declair you argument invalid.

I'd rather this subforum didn't turn into "Appeal to authority" logical fallacy sub forum. Let's debate on stuff without maintaining a list on who is supposedly an authority on what.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post

-O
    I generally count an expert's opinion more than anyone else's opinion as they're the people who have spent the time, effort and a lot of money learning about specific subjects. In my opinion the general public (myself included) don't know enough about these things and should definitely try and use experts to try and gain an understanding. (I know there are exceptions to this, but overall I trust an expert on law to tell me about law over someone who's read a few books and articles online)
    This kind of thing should be self-evident if you read their posts. That and general posting history.
    FourFiftyFour > reed i enjoy your trolling on shc immensly

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Tiburon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post

-O
    This kind of thing should be self-evident if you read their posts. That and general posting history.
    Well, with mature discussion participants, there should be no need to verify the expertise. A mature person, interested in a serious discussion, should have no problem stating something like "I'm no expert on that matter ...".

Besides - the personal opinions and why people have developed them are often more interesting than the facts presented. They're an convenient side effect to me and for sure necessary. But the "real meat" is when given fact A and B and therefore opinion A and B, why did you choose A and I B? How comes that you and I weight A and B differently? Is this due to more/other facts? Or does culture/region/childhood/<whatever> makes the difference.

All excellent points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuozzo
    The evolution of the meme. From shipspinning to meatspinning.

Should people who are banned from posting be able to see the subforum? Otherwise rep shenanigans will occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanv View Post
    Should people who are banned from posting be able to see the subforum? Otherwise rep shenanigans will occur.
    If possible it would be better to just disable rep changes for posts in the subforum.