hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Verdict on ATX? ("Let's sperge about team quality so hydra can feel relevant" thread)

Need to drop logistics from 6v6 matches. Need to drop all ship type/amount restrictions (keeping the 100 point and ten ship limits though) from the final match. Would make for better qualification matches and a final IMO.

Not that this was a bad tournament. It was probably one of the best ones.
    Last edited by Dirk Magnum; July 22 2012 at 11:22:36 PM.

Donor
    X-l asbs on cyclones/sleipnir/ferox/vargur when you add a siege resist links scimi repping was just too much.
    More dps set ups to counter that was nice but armor set ups suffered. High buffer bs and afs with little in between.
    Hopefully they add an armor version of asb to open up more set ups.
    Cruiser sized ships points were too expensive except for recons. Didn't see a single bs from the matches i watched but no surprise when there are marauders, black ops at 17, and for 3 points more pirate bs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Magnum View Post
    Need to drop logistics from 6v6 matches. Need to drop all ship type/amount restrictions (keeping the 100 point and ten ship limits though) from the final match. Would make for better qualification matches and a final IMO.

Not that this was a bad tournament. It was probably one of the best ones.
    If you drop all ships restriction from qualif & final you're going to end with 3x logi unkillable tank team like we had before they restricted them to one.

I realy enjoyed the whole tournament and it even made me resub after 2 years (well played ccp).

The worst :

- Commentator often out of sync with the feed, calling the death of a ships several second before/after it explode.
    - No T1 cruiser outside of the epic brawl commedy matches.

The best :

- FRIGS TONS OF FRIGS, this year realy look way more like a small gang engagement then the other years imho ( that's probably i fly mostly frig hulls)
    - The ui
    - The success of some not so well know team, refreshing when you're seeing the same name for over 5 years now.
    English Langage management 4/5

so many cripple teams

at least hydra C team won

wp knifee <3~

Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    The highlight of the tourney was MB3 getting shaved
    This and the subsequently sharpie Moosetasche.

Overall pretty friggin awesome. I'd say about 40% of the matches were ones I didn't guess the outcome of, and there were enough tense moments spread throughout that the overall experience was damn good.
    "We need less dakka dakka!" -No one. Ever.

Also, next year can we please ban alliance adverts featuring dubstep at 200% volume. My poor eardrums.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Simmons View Post
    Also, next year can we please ban alliance adverts featuring dubstep at 200% volume. My poor eardrums.
    Would like to get rid of the streaming service playing the SAME ad over and over? Did everyone else have to endure that Clarks ad every time?
    Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"
    Bertrand Russell - the Triumph of Stupidity (1933)

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity." -Yeats, 1919

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    I find it incredible that a whole country can actually be more retarded than FHC.

On the brightside you got to watch the GYPSY BAND ad a lot, which was awesome.

The only thing I'd nitpick about the whole thing is MB3 is a retard and should be shot. I'd rather listen to people who know what they're talking about and can offer actual commentary rather than some dickhole that makes general statements then passes the topic to whichever unlucky bastard is stuck with him. Raivi and kil2 are good. Zastrow....meh, lazarus seemed cool.
    The UI and all that jazz was fantastic, except for the jamming part. Should be easy enough to fix for next year.
    All the matchs seemed to be competitive and while I managed some glances at the semis and final (fuck yeah DAYZ) they seemed really close. Overall, GG CCP. You've surprised me again.

EDIT: oh and yeah, 2 point frigates are pretty OP. And fuck my life if this AT didn't prove that ECM is still broken as hell and gay and shit and literally STILL the biggest thing wrong with eve.
    i am jamiew0w, i am also Morgan Freeman

Would like to get rid of the streaming service playing the SAME ad over and over? Did everyone else have to endure that Clarks ad every time?
    Just get adblock

TL : DR
    I enjoyed it and think it was better than AT9.

I think the rules have matured quite well and the points tweaking gave us interesting setups (with frequently two battles going on at once as support fought each other while the bigger DPS ships slugged it out).

I'm not too bothered about the ASB tanking as it gave time for piloting decisions to have a decent impact on many setups. Certainly in the tourney a limit of one per ship is sensible (any such rule on TQ proper is silly though, sure you can run multiple ASBs for loltanking, but then again there isn't a 12 ship limit )

The commentators...
    Well on the whole they did much better after practice (i.e. the first weekend) which is no great shock, far less nerves and familiar with the systems etc. Of course it's a far better setup when they get to Iceland (instead of the additional lag from the webcams etc.) and they did bounce better from one to the other in most cases.

I know people are quick to point out when they miss stuff or say the wrong things and yes there are frequently facepalm moments, but that's kinda become a tournie feature Clearly they are not up to the standard of say SC2 pro-commentators but then again those guys commentate many many times a year and thus have plenty of time to learn their craft. The AT is relying on volunteers who did a pretty good job under the circumstances. No it's not as easy as you think it is

I am still a bit disappointed with the statement from CCP that they basically think 4 returning and 1 new commentator is the best ratio and I would like to see more variety next time. I know a common reply to "the commentators suck" is "if you think you can do better then apply" but when only 1 person a year gets a chance that is pretty silly

Nit picks
    The display for the 6v6s looked too empty and they should have increased the font size or reduced the bottom bar height to match (even if that meant removing the rapidly swapping commentator cam )
    audio hum, volume level of adverts, audio sync - audio in general was basically a weak link.
    Not enough different adverts - though that is a player issue I guess

I'm sure I can think of more later
    Last edited by TeaDaze; July 23 2012 at 02:29:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celedris View Post
    Just get adblock
    Doesn't work with the team ads (fuck Dark Taboo/Evoke/etc), only those wierd football ads.
    "We need less dakka dakka!" -No one. Ever.

I liked it

The few matches I watched were pretty enjoyable. Loved being able to see the ewar effects! I like the 12 man format, but I agree with what someone said earlier about it edging out smaller alliances. Last year, Hydra and Outbreak were desperate for people to log in to train - even though we trained together.

As far as the competitive level, however, I can't agree with most people here. Although I can agree that the level has evened out, I think the "best" teams this year were operating at a decidedly lower level than last year.

Last year, there were approximately four tier 1 teams - Hydra, Outbreak, PL, and Darkside. In that order. I think this year that only Darkside, maybe, was competing at the same level of the best teams last year. So that is only one tier 1 team this year. (haven't seen the PL v. Darkside match yet, but I'm doubtful seeing it will change my opinion that PL was operating at a tier 2 level and Darkside was still operating at tier 1 level.)

The field of tier 2 teams, however, has opened up considerably. (if you want to see a match that demonstrates the difference between a tier 1 and tier 2 team, see Darkside's match against Raiden. They brought setups that were supposed to be very similar, but the Darkside setup had the edge from the start because of the attention to detail in ship selection. That, plus better piloting, turned a match that should have had several losses on both sides into a very one-sided victory.)

Regarding Verge, they were great! Solid very high tier 2 performance. Exodus was also up there. Neither team would have given Hydra or Outbreak a lick of difficulty last year.

Regarding next year, I think Verge has an opportunity to pull away from the rest if they can attract enough talent. That wont be the old talent though. PL's best aren't leaving. Hydra's best are unlikely to compete again imo. Outbreak, also very unlikely to ally. But who knows, it really only takes one guy and who knows who might just go mercenary next year when they find their old mates unwilling to put the time in again.

In sum, the level of competition was disappointing. Everything else (except the streaming) was good.

Enjoyed AT 10 much more than AT 9 apart from MB3, dubstep and the streaming issues. Some really awesome matches and a great final. One thing I liked was the initial stages being broadcast, and I hope they do the same next years, with one addition, have a 2-3 minute clip per team introducing them with a little info on who they are, what they do in-game, whether they're new or competed before with previous AT stat's/achievements rather than the boring AT screen with dubstep.

Overall the best presentation and fights sofar, looking forward to next year.
    yes, I am Le terribad at BF3

Quote Originally Posted by joe space View Post
    (haven't seen the PL v. Darkside match yet, but I'm doubtful seeing it will change my opinion that PL was operating at a tier 2 level and Darkside was still operating at tier 1 level.)
    I know how you came to this conclusion (because you guys gave up gathering intel after being kicked) but its so, so wrong.
    I'm sure it's frustrating to be sperging about how someone said "no, not doing that yet" - but we've had 7 years to learn to pace ourselves after killing a block. And I dare say -- we've gotten quite good at it.

Sorry if it doesn't suit the armchair generals who have never committed to anything for more than 2 months, but by now we've learned that we really don't give a shit about what you think v0v.

Quote Originally Posted by LoKiPP View Post
    (haven't seen the PL v. Darkside match yet, but I'm doubtful seeing it will change my opinion that PL was operating at a tier 2 level and Darkside was still operating at tier 1 level.)
    I know how you came to this conclusion (because you guys gave up gathering intel after being kicked) but its so, so wrong.
    i came to that conclusion by, you know, watching the tourney.

was not keen on all the brostep flatulence for a soundtrack..

some commentators are lamentable goobers with little else to offer besides tired punchlines.

otherwise good.

Donor
    LOOK AT ME HYDRABREAK SO MUCH BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE

As far as watching the tournament i agree to the sentiments mentioned by most here.

As far as participating (i got to for the first time) - TL;DR not putting any :effort: in ever again.
    The whole tourney felt very weird.
    We lost to VoC in qualifying - scimi had all shield transfers offline after being moved to the arena, o7
    ev0ke was ezmode, brick was ezmode. Vs. Raiden we brought a comedy "lol roaming Nagas" setup FCed by someone who did not have any AT experience and people in team who showed up on SiSi for AT training but never got to participate. Ezmode against armor Talos w/ no-prop rapier. Pizza ezmode too (tough luck for them tbh).
    And then straight ECM-dumpstered by PL.
    So that is only one tier 1 team this year. (haven't seen the PL v. Darkside match yet, but I'm doubtful seeing it will change my opinion that PL was operating at a tier 2 level and Darkside was still operating at tier 1 level.)
    We basically had no answer to ECM beyond bringing Sensor Integrity II instead of Recon Operation II links (and plugging info-mindlink obv.). Which we specifically chose not to bring since we were pretty much expecting some Adrestia-based setup. Also couldnt kite at all with AB Oneiros, so no chance. OUTPLAYED.

My conclusion with the AT is basically - should leave that shit to people/alliances who already "won eve" aka. arent really interested in logging in to TQ anyway.
    For a competitive team you need to have several people putting A LOT of time into theorycrafting decent setups and then putting even more time into setting up tests of all kind on SiSi and not getting spied on. Which means getting 24 duders + ships in the right wormhole for every training - you can imagine that the logistics for that is a lot of boring ass work. Because of this
    a) our presense on TQ was p much zero the last few months
    b) people burnt out hard
    which for me personally is unacceptable.
    Last edited by n0th; July 23 2012 at 05:44:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Booley View Post
    LOOK AT ME HYDRABREAK SO MUCH BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE
    hydra and outbreak are better than you all at the AT. that's not really anything to do with me. relax.

btw, PL were super impressed with your press orbit skills and very much interested to know you "are not retart!!!"