hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Verdict on ATX? ("Let's sperge about team quality so hydra can feel relevant" thread)

Ancillary shield boosters have to be limited, ESPECIALLY in the 6v6 format. They are far too strong and can last much too long.

Minus the technical hiccups the first few weekends, it's imo great success.

The rules can be improved upon, but that's the case every year. For example, I'd like to see some sort of "sideboard" system where you can bring a certain amount of points, say 30, worth of additional ships and switch them out after seeing the enemy matchup potentially taking the edge off the "brought lucky hard counter" factor with some restrictions (like not being applicable to ECM ships for example).

The only real annoyance was the somewhat kneejerky kicking both HYDRA and Outbreak out of the tourney (besides it being debatable to what degree they are "the same alliance", by the letter of the rule they cited iirc only the "alt" alliance should have been kicked, not both), but they were kinda asking for it after the shitfest that was last year's final I guess.

fuck entrox Donor Jason Marshall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gesadt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marshall View Post
    I will form an opinion about it when I know the outcome of my 20bn isk worth of wagers.
    so you quit the corp and now you log in? get out
    Yeah, im back with HROLT training newbs. =)

"Sometimes someone just needs to be the OP" -Tellenta Philosopher of our People.

Really enjoyed our first tournament - CCP ran it well I think

The highlight of the tourney was MB3 getting shaved, other parts were quite shitty.

Also CCP needs someone that knows anything about sound, or people start just going "eve tv has sound?"

Really enjoyed it so far.

Next year I hope they toss Zastrow (even though he is a super nice dude) and MBIII infavor of new commentators. Keep Raivi, Kil2 and Laz though.

fuck entrox Donor Jason Marshall's Avatar
    SQUEAAAAL. Bitter bet against the HUNS PAYS OFF!

"Sometimes someone just needs to be the OP" -Tellenta Philosopher of our People.

Quote Originally Posted by Grarr Dexx View Post
    Ancillary shield boosters have to be limited, ESPECIALLY in the 6v6 format. They are far too strong and can last much too long.
    Yeah ASBs were a huge part in this tournament, especially combined with the Sleipnir/Cyclone setup which was ridiculously strong, though not unbeatable.
    Last edited by Al Simmons; July 22 2012 at 09:51:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    The highlight of the tourney was MB3 getting shaved
    Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"
    Bertrand Russell - the Triumph of Stupidity (1933)

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity." -Yeats, 1919

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    I find it incredible that a whole country can actually be more retarded than FHC.

It was a great match. I had a blast with how far we got while still being a "young" alliance.

My opinion:

It was pretty good. I didn't watch all of it, but I saw quite a lot of the matches (which is quite good for someone who hasn't been subbed for about 2 years now).

The format was well balanced and entertaining. The work done by Veritas did a lot to raise the quality of it imo. But here lies my main gripe as well. The UI: It was like playing Eve all over again. I usually spent the matches staring at bars and numbers with some icons and some occasional glance at the bottom right corner to get an idea about positioning. That's fairly normal I guess, but it's not something that gets an unrelated party interested.

Commentating was pretty okayish. Music was terrible, though.

The Prequal and Group stages should be combined into a single set of Swiss Rounds, 5 matches total for each team. I don't like the games played with points so I'd like to see a format that changes tiebreakers to something better.

Oh, and another thing I noticed, that is not exactly a personal verdict.

The viewercount was way down in comparison to the last years. In the final it was somewhere around 13k. I remember it to be waaaaay higher in past years. What's the reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Grarr Dexx View Post
    by next year, they'll have been rebalanced and there will probably be something that spices up armor tanking in a similar way.

Solid 9.0 to 9.5 out of 10.

Points to improve upon would include not having MB3 as a commentator again, I feel the rest (especially Raivi and Kil2) did a fine job. They need to show them the same feed we get, or they need to pay attention to it more, because I'm seeing things they're calling incorrectly or not at all, but on the whole not bad. Prelims need to be re-worked, having a really unlucky match might put a good team out of the tournament early (AAA comes to mind), but I do like the 64 team format, so that's a challenge to be worked on.

I like the group stages, but I agree that Day 7 had too many "pointless" matches, it's a waste of stream time and needs to be fixed. ASB's and logistics were too dominant in the tourney, either one or the other need to be disallowed for a changeup next year, especially to discourage Sleipnir teams that are dominant and maybe give people a chance to field Amarr setups without worrying about running into Sleipnirs for sure.

But, I nitpick. On the whole, it was very well done, and I especially loved the voiceover intros by the Scotsman that provided context and acknowledgement for all the time, effort, and sacrifices that get made to do the tournament at a serious, competitive level. Also loved the montage at the end before the credits, it was simple but pretty cool.

Lots of teams did really well - Exodus, in particular, props to you for going so deep, and congrats to Verge, while I wanted to win it all this year, I'd rather get knocked out of it by the ATX Champions than some random scrub team.

Excellent work everyone, enjoy the offseason and see you next year.

i don't think ASB's or logistics were an issue, in most cases it prompted the response of "well bring more dps!" which made the setups much more excting and cooler (prompting the epic shadow cartel Talos fight, and a large number of sexy vindicators). and the yo-yo nature of the ASB tank made for great natural tension and some edge of the seat moments. but to put it simply, most asb/logi reps just got hammered through by 3-4kdps, which is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Nihil View Post
    Solid 9.0 to 9.5 out of 10.

Points to improve upon would include not having MB3 as a commentator again, I feel the rest (especially Raivi and Kil2) did a fine job. They need to show them the same feed we get, or they need to pay attention to it more, because I'm seeing things they're calling incorrectly or not at all, but on the whole not bad. Prelims need to be re-worked, having a really unlucky match might put a good team out of the tournament early (AAA comes to mind), but I do like the 64 team format, so that's a challenge to be worked on.

I like the group stages, but I agree that Day 7 had too many "pointless" matches, it's a waste of stream time and needs to be fixed. ASB's and logistics were too dominant in the tourney, either one or the other need to be disallowed for a changeup next year, especially to discourage Sleipnir teams that are dominant and maybe give people a chance to field Amarr setups without worrying about running into Sleipnirs for sure.

But, I nitpick. On the whole, it was very well done, and I especially loved the voiceover intros by the Scotsman that provided context and acknowledgement for all the time, effort, and sacrifices that get made to do the tournament at a serious, competitive level. Also loved the montage at the end before the credits, it was simple but pretty cool.

Lots of teams did really well - Exodus, in particular, props to you for going so deep, and congrats to Verge, while I wanted to win it all this year, I'd rather get knocked out of it by the ATX Champions than some random scrub team.

Excellent work everyone, enjoy the offseason and see you next year.
    On our comms we where all rooting for you! Would have been fun to go up against each other :-)

Overall the AT was great, the new UI was cool (needs to take up less space so that the spaceships themselves are more of a focal point), MB3 stepped up his game after the first week or two, and we saw some great, really competitive matches.

I think it's a tough call trying to decide what to do with ASB's re: the AT. For pros, they created a lot of cool edge-of-your-seat type moments and made things like Vargurs, ASB Oneiros, and Agony's turtle tank strategy viable. On the other hand they really really reinforced the existing minmarush archetype. So from the standpoint of making -interesting- matches with some variety they basically came out even imo.

So wishlist for next year:
    • Iterate on the UI to make the positioning/location of the spaceships easier to see
    • Get new commentators to keep things fresh
    • Iterate on rules so we don't so many minmatar teams, I don't necessarily want them gone, but a wider range/more counters to them.

gj ccp, looking forward to next year.

e: streaming all the matches was a good choice too
    Last edited by DocBlood; July 22 2012 at 11:14:23 PM.

Good tournament, and Verge definitely had the best team-wide piloting skill I saw.

Thank heavens for the dual-ASB ban before the start of the tourny. The module should be limited to 1 per ship in game anyway, and even then it's still incredibly strong.

For all the complaints about ASBs though, I think it's really more of a XL-ASB Sleipnir issue than an ASB issue overall. It was already one of the strongest and versatile tournament ships for it's speed, range, gang-link, neut resistance, damage selection and then it gets access to ASBs with an extra 37% boost bonus and full T2 resists. Vargurs to a much lesser degree. ASBs certainly didn't seem overpowered on cyclones, feroxs, AFs, recons, logis, etc., especially given their fitting cost.
    Last edited by Celedris; July 22 2012 at 11:11:59 PM.

- Because of the ASB's, the Cyclone hulls were the "go to" ship. That was boring.

- LOL at all the non committal statements from the commentators when a match was already decided. (CCP instructions?)

- All the tech 1 non faction battleships being the same points cost.

+ The HUD is good, not amazing, and I hope to see a more refined version next year.

+ More of the matches streamed than last year.

+ 6 man quals > 5 man quals.

-------------------------------

See you all next year!