hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 332 of 334 FirstFirst ... 232282322329330331332333334 LastLast
Results 6,621 to 6,640 of 6666

Thread: Warships - Armchair Admirals ahoy!

  1. #6621
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    31,741
    Uh, health concerns? I'd imagine it would start giving lots of rust after 20 years.

  2. #6622
    Caldrion Dosto's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,589
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Uh, health concerns? I'd imagine it would start giving lots of rust after 20 years.
    I love it they actually where going to tow something from The arctic circle to India.

    "Broke" the tow-line sounds more like "Oleg! cut the tow-line, not in Soviet Russia any more, not our problem Comrade!"

  3. #6623
    Timaios's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,133
    India has been buying plenty of Russian submarines and ships, some of which have traveled from st. Petersburg to India, doesn’t sound abnormal at all.

    Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

  4. #6624
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,544
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Uh, health concerns? I'd imagine it would start giving lots of rust after 20 years.
    People was starting to get ill. And not the flu kind.
    The Epic Store is amazing, I've been able to save so much money by not buying their games.

  5. #6625
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    31,741
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Uh, health concerns? I'd imagine it would start giving lots of rust after 20 years.
    People was starting to get ill. And not the flu kind.
    What kind then? Communism?

    It's a conventionally powered artillery cruiser from the 50s. It could start leaking i guess because russians are drunkards that forgot to steal siphon the oil products out, but that's way too obvious to be marked down as "health concerns".

  6. #6626
    Caldrion Dosto's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,589
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Uh, health concerns? I'd imagine it would start giving lots of rust after 20 years.
    People was starting to get ill. And not the flu kind.
    What kind then? Communism?

    It's a conventionally powered artillery cruiser from the 50s. It could start leaking i guess because russians are drunkards that forgot to steal siphon the oil products out, but that's way too obvious to be marked down as "health concerns".

    Asbestos and heavy metals?

  7. #6627
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    7,140
    Asbestos doesn't leach. It's probably Zinc Chromate or similar stuff.

  8. #6628

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    7,089
    Sneaky russians have noticed that with few good tugboats you can forgo installing any engines on the warships and save money, just tow them where they are needed!

  9. #6629
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Uh, health concerns? I'd imagine it would start giving lots of rust after 20 years.
    People was starting to get ill. And not the flu kind.
    What kind then? Communism?

    It's a conventionally powered artillery cruiser from the 50s. It could start leaking i guess because russians are drunkards that forgot to steal siphon the oil products out, but that's way too obvious to be marked down as "health concerns".

    Asbestos and heavy metals?
    They found traces of radiation from it.
    The Epic Store is amazing, I've been able to save so much money by not buying their games.

  10. #6630

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    4,954
    Ivan Mistral . Ask. If they deny - buy. If they deny - steal.


  11. #6631
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    14,981
    Well they did order the Mistral and didn't get it due to Crimea.

    However this seems to be a bit wider. I wonder how the other ships of this type, like the Juan Carlos I and Canberra, compare in size to the final Russian design.

    The Mistral is about 20k tons, slightly heavier than the Dokdo at 18k tons and lighter by a fair bit than the Juan Carlos I (26k tons) and Canberra (27k tons). The latter two however have ski jumps for example.

    Where will the Priboy class really end up?
    Wiki lists between 14k and 24k tons. That's quite a range.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prib...s_assault_ship

    Both the Americans (America and Wasp classes) and the Chinese (Type 075) are way bigger at 40k+ tons.

    TIL: the new Italian amphibious assault ship has a ski jump, two islands and weighs in at 33k tons.

    All displacements are full loads according to wiki, as some entries only had full load numbers.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  12. #6632

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    4,954
    One peculiar thing about Italian ships is that the Navy always tries to 'downplay' size and capabilities, often citing dry weight and waterline length instead of real dimensions, to not alarm the peacimentalist politics infesting the government. The Cavour for example was cited at 27000t but after her recent works to accommodate the f35b it tipped over 30k tons. So i would not be surprised if Trieste ends up weighting 35k tons or more in the end.
    Another thing: Italian designs always have far more guns than the other navies. Why wouldn't you give your most expensive warship better armament, better ability to defend from air attacks, ground attacks? And why wouldn't you give it the ability to intimidate those in visual range with a few 76mm guns ? Similarly, their frigates/destroyers have 2 to 3 main guns, not just 1.

    edit: Apparently the ski jump has been designed to be easily removable too depending on mission requirements.

  13. #6633
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    14,981
    The Italians adding guns to their ships probably has more to do with OTO Melara (now Leonardo S.p.A.) being Italian than anything else.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  14. #6634

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    4,954


    Name something wrong in this photograph.

  15. #6635
    Caldrion Dosto's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post


    Name something wrong in this photograph.
    No Russian type smoke?
    The take of lookes a bit shopped, looks like J-20 and i dont think those are deployed on the carrier.

  16. #6636
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    14,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post


    Name something wrong in this photograph.
    No Russian type smoke?
    The take off looks a bit shopped, looks like J-20 and I don't think those are deployed on the carrier.
    That's a J-15 and not a J-20.
    nevar forget

  17. #6637

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    7,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post


    Name something wrong in this photograph.
    That carrier has planes on it? Not subscribing the Brexitland school of carrier design.

  18. #6638
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    7,140
    The flag looks off.

    Looks like almost a beam wind whereas the carrier should be streaming into the wind.

  19. #6639
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    31,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    The flag looks off.

    Looks like almost a beam wind whereas the carrier should be streaming into the wind.
    This isn't the fourties, mate.

  20. #6640
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    7,140
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    The flag looks off.

    Looks like almost a beam wind whereas the carrier should be streaming into the wind.
    This isn't the fourties, mate.


    Note the flags.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •