hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 324 of 329 FirstFirst ... 224274314321322323324325326327 ... LastLast
Results 6,461 to 6,480 of 6563

Thread: Warships - Armchair Admirals ahoy!

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post
    It looks to be where paint has been scraped of. Probably just surface rust, it happen even to freshly made steal, which is put on transports or short storage. Nothing that bits in thought.

tl dr quick polish and is fine.
    Nah, they should use a laser.

"Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Rust is not even a problem to deal with.
    Gotta measure the hull now to make sure it is not been bent.
    That's no problem. Wasn't one of the old Oslo Class frigates unable to go in a straight line, after it got bent out of shape after a whops on a skerry?
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

USS Raven and USS Cardinal two Coastal Minehunters headed to Bahrain for a homeport shift on top of the Blue Marlon a Heavylift Ship.

dude, where is my plane?

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar
    USS Missouri during Desert Storm, 1991

Yamato?
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Yes
    sweet jesus i don't know who's trolling who anymore

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    i don't want to be grumpy but can we start adding context to pictures again? even just a name is cool, lets people (like me, who think those pics are cool but have nfi what it is) google and learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    i don't want to be grumpy but can we start adding context to pictures again? even just a name is cool, lets people (like me, who think those pics are cool but have nfi what it is) google and learn more.
    you are bad and should feel bad, the hull number is right there.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    fml

in the time you spent typing that and hyperlinking it, the OP (in this case barth, could be anyone) could have just typed 'uss wisconsin' it's not hard dudes, and it lets people who aren't walking warfare encyclopedia's find out some neat things

It's Yamato

Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    It's Yamato
    The 64th one, apparently ...

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    fml

in the time you spent typing that and hyperlinking it, the OP (in this case barth, could be anyone) could have just typed 'uss wisconsin' it's not hard dudes, and it lets people who aren't walking warfare encyclopedia's find out some neat things
    ship pennants have been around since 1661 with the practice of flat out painting numbers on warship sides, typically near the bow, dating to around the start of the dreadnought arms race to make it easier to sort out what bits of your fleet was actually what type of ship when trying to conduct manoeuvrers at sea and prevent silly stuff like sending Battlecruisers to fight Battleships and have them summarily blow up as a result. (not that it prevented Beatty from doing that)

this is the HDMS Absalon, the L16 gives it away, with the L classification being used by the HDMS to denote combat capable support ships (former L ships include mine layers and armed submarine tenders)

this in turn is HDMS Espen Snare, note the L17

this in turn is the Iver Huitfeldt class air defence frigate F362 Peter Willemoes, it's build on the same hull as the Absalon class, but get's a F designator as it's a combat frigate.

this in turn is the HDMS F357 Thetis class Thetis patrol frigate, these operate in the arctic around greenland and their primary function is soverignity maintence and support activites for local authorities, but because they're equipped and armed as combat vessels, they get a F designation.

smaller combat vessels get P designation, patrol and inspection ships, torpedo boats, fast attack craft and so forth while non-combatant ships gets A designations for general purpose vessels, Y designations for environmental protection vessels and non-combatant training vessels and MVH for marine home guard vessels.

even the royal Yatch, Dannebrog has a pennant number, in that case it's A540.
    Last edited by Liare; April 1 2019 at 08:24:38 PM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

again, it's just quicker to give a name and a date or a wikipedia entry

not sure why asking for more info, so people (stupid people like me) can read more is so painful

The pictures are actually from the wikipedia page for the Wisconsin, and I though that would be a give away. But I'll put the name next to it next time, to spare you the pain ...