hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 295 of 303 FirstFirst ... 195245285292293294295296297298 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,900 of 6052

Thread: Warships - Armchair Admirals ahoy!

Armored monitors are still a thing both Russia and Ukraine have monitors around Crimea.Russia just transferred two to boost security around the new bridge.

Well you never know when tourists are going to cause trouble
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Well you never know when tourists are going to cause trouble
    what are 'humanitarian' convoys for?

Is that bloke in the second boat pic taking a dump on the deck or just trying to get rid of his bikini line?
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    Is that bloke in the second boat pic taking a dump on the deck or just trying to get rid of his bikini line?
    It's just a tan summer uniform .

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar

Arleigh Burke class destroyer USS O'kaine in Hawaii. June 4, 2018.
    Last edited by Evelgrivion; June 6 2018 at 01:11:25 PM.

Looks so small however so deadly. But I wouldn't want to sail on one, 8k tons is likely to never ever stop moving along all axis :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Looks so small however so deadly. But I wouldn't want to sail on one, 8k tons is likely to never ever stop moving along all axis :/

What, the Arleigh Burke? Seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

I think you'll find that ships don't stop moving in all axis regardless of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post

I think you'll find that ships don't stop moving in all axis regardless of weight.
    It is almost like they're floating on a dynamic liquid that also doesn't stop moving in all axis!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush
    using cheats in Civ
    Last edited by Corwyna; June 12 2018 at 09:39:22 AM.
    Hiro Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna View Post

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush
    using cheats in Civ
    WOW. You have no idea what you have there.

That is the Hellenic Navy frigate HS Salamis, fourth ship of the Hydra class, Blohm + Voss Meko 200 type ship.

The other one is the Hellenic Navy trireme HS Olympias.

The HS Salamis was named after the Battle of Salamis, in which an numerically inferior Greek naval force destroyed the Persian fleet during the Persian Wars in 480 BC. For a long time it was considered a surprising win by the Greeks since they were outnumbered 4-2:1 (depending on the source). They fought at the Strait of Salamis, between the island of Salamis and Attica, just north of Piraeus (Athen's harbor town).

Now we have an eyewitness account of the battle in the form of the play "The Persians" by Aeschylus, an Athenian playwright who fought in the Battle of Salamis. He gives the number of 310 Greek triremes. Now the Wiki article mentions about 600 Persians ships facing them. Aeschylus however mentions a fast squadron of 207 Persian ships which was to enter the straight in the morning and surprise the Greeks. To be precise, those weren't Persian ships, but Syrian-Phoenician triremes from Palestine, counted among the finest shipwrights and sailors of the ancient world. Anyway why send only 207 ships was a question every subsequent author asked themselves and thus assumed the Persian main fleet was among its 207 ship strong vanguard.

The reconstruction of the HS Olympias however answered that question. Fully manned with oars at maximum capacity and at full speed the trireme had a width of 11m. To form and hold a battleline a width of 17m is assumed. The navigable width between the Salamis' peninsula Kyonsura and the island of Áyios Yeóryios (which is a line that blockades the harbor) was about 3500m in 480BC. Or just enough room for 207 ships. Fighting outnumbered wasn't unheard of for naval battles back then. The fleet would simply attain a wedge formation and try to break through the enemy formation. The space was limited enough to make this possible. The Persians engaged the Greeks with apparently the Greeks getting the first ramming attack in. To ensure victory, the Persians placed a larger main fleet behind their fast vanguard. This main fleet pushed into the battle when it should have waited, thus causing confusion among the Persian ranks. The vanguard should have (and is suspected to have tried according to Aeschylus) regrouped, but the pushing Persians allowed the Greeks to surround the Persians and beat them like tuna.
    I assume the Persian commander of the main fleet ordered the push to hark some glory for the victory for himself, as Xerxes was watching the battle from a hill on Attica. That was usual for his military and himself.

Spoiler:
    Beat them like tuna? Remember that the Greek relied heavily on fishing so that were common sources for imagery. Back then you caught tuna by herding a large school of tuna into a net, which is formed into a ring and then the fishermen beat the tuna to death with oars. It is usually a very very very bloody business. I once found a website with pictures of one of the last places that still traditionally fishes them like that like once a year, but I can't right now.

When they did the first tests with the Olympias, it was manned by untrained students from the universities involved. They achieved a top speed of just shy of 9 knots. It is assumed that a trained crew achieved 8 knots as cruise speed and ramming speeds were far higher. The test crew was also capable of turning the ship within 2.5 ship lengths, making it extremely maneuverable even by today's standards.

So yeah, incredible photo.

Some sources for the above:
    H. T. Wallinga, Xerxes' Greek adventure : the naval perspective, Leiden 2005.
    J. E. Coates, J. S. Morrison, N. B. Rankov, The Athenian trireme : the history and
    reconstruction of an ancient Greek warship, Cambridge 2000.

And the wiki entry for the trireme:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympias_(trireme)
    nevar forget

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    rep that man

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    rep that man
    hope that's enough context for the next 10 pages

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    rep that man
    hope that's enough context for the next 10 pages
    Nope.

All I did was regurgitate / translate parts of a paper I wrote as an undergrad.
    nevar forget

good stuff anyways

One of the corvettes that launched Sizzler missiles into Syria from Caspian sea, Grad Sviyazhsk, coming through the Volgo-Don channel.
    Last edited by RazoR; June 12 2018 at 05:24:50 PM.

Spoiler for huge.

Spoiler:

USS Bataan in Norfolk for maintenance.
    I'm in Norfolk for the next few weeks, so will post random ship photos as I take them.
    Last edited by Stormus; June 13 2018 at 09:43:00 AM.

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar

PACIFIC OCEAN (June 4, 2018) Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Essex (LHD 2), left, and Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Decatur (DDG 73) participate in a force protection exercise during a composite training unit exercise (COMPTUEX). COMPTUEX is the final pre-deployment exercise which certifies the combined Essex Amphibious Ready Group and 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit's abilities to conduct military operations at sea and project power ashore during their upcoming deployment in summer of 2018. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication 3rd Class Reymundo A. Villegas III/Released)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    beat the tuna to death with oars. It is usually a very very very bloody business. I once found a website with pictures of one of the last places that still traditionally fishes them like that like once a year, but I can't right now
    It's probably Favignana's mattanza, a tradition from sicilian tonnare. I'd imagine that the issue is finding enough tuna at the same time for that...

Spoiler:
    art!
    My solo pvp video: Yankunytjude... That attitude!
    Solo/small gang proposal: Ship Velocity Vectors