hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Higgs Boson finally discovered?

Donor
    Manipulation of the higgs field would be to us, as using fire would be to fish.

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post

Discuss.
    Now I'm hungry
    Disregard Diamonds
    Acquire Cobblestone

neva forget

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post

Discuss.
    Give a man a fish and he shall eat for a day, teach him to fish and he shall eat for the rest of his life.

Make a man a fire and he shall be warm for a day, set him on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life.

That's all fish and fire bring to mind, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    If it was like a hundred billion a year, I'd say europe needs that money for more important things right now.
    What are these things? Again bailing out greedy banksters? Who have learned zero/nada/nothing from 2008 and onwards (see U.K. and LIBOR manipulation for yet another failure)? Each Euro not payed to those bastards but spend in science instead can only be an improvement.

Higg's Bosom
    a shining beacon of quality posting in a sea of awful posting

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    Higg's Bosom
    gay

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    Higg's Bosom
    gay
    You have a pony in your avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaeDoc II View Post
    Higg's Bosom
    gay
    I also have Batman in my avatar, thus your argument is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

Higg's Bosom
    gay
    I also have Batman in my avatar, thus your argument is invalid.
    So you have a super-symmetrical avatar?

I am godawful at physics.

So this shit is incredibly far over my head, as in, I totally don't have the slightest clue what this is about. All these explanations that went on in different forms over the last few days (be it interviews, comics, articles, whatever) did absolutely nothing to rectify this. As soon as I start to try to understand, my brain buggers off chasing butterflies.

But: Back to the future II took place last week, so why don't we have hoverboards? I want them.

Quote Originally Posted by GiDiYi View Post

So this shit is incredibly far over my head, as in, I totally don't have the slightest clue what this is about. All these explanations that went on in different forms over the last few days (be it interviews, comics, articles, whatever) did absolutely nothing to rectify this. As soon as I start to try to understand, my brain buggers off chasing butterflies.

But: Back to the future II took place last week, so why don't we have hoverboards? I want them.
    Basically they discovered the smallest known particle so far and it can explain why things have mass and what causes gravity.

Movember 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by spasm View Post

Basically they discovered the smallest known particle so far and it can explain why things have mass and what causes gravity.
    Doesn't the Graviton cause gravity?

Quote Originally Posted by Loire View Post

Yes but the gravity boson hasn't been discovered yet. Higgs boson is a step towards finding it.

Yes but the gravity boson hasn't been discovered yet. Higgs boson is a step towards finding it.
    It is difficult to detect graviton using collider such a LHC, because graviton's scattering cross-section is ridiculously small. You have to build a particle accelerator the size of Jupiter next to a black hole. It is simply not feasible given the current economic environment.

You can try to detect gravity waves, the experiments are under way, but they are not affected by the discovery of Higgs boson.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Who have learned zero/nada/nothing from 2008 and onwards (see U.K. and LIBOR manipulation for yet another failure)?
    They learned plenty. For example, they learned they can still game the system and national governments are still easily-duped and manipulated, even when confronted red-handed about epic malfeasance.

On topic: Have we discovered polarons yet?

"Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna
    China rover is landing on the Moon.
    Iirc that one was hit by an ied on landing.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post

It is difficult to detect graviton using collider such a LHC, because graviton's scattering cross-section is ridiculously small. You have to build a particle accelerator the size of Jupiter next to a black hole. It is simply not feasible given the current economic environment.

You can try to detect gravity waves, the experiments are under way, but they are not affected by the discovery of Higgs boson.

I'm no scientist but i'd say there are bigger obstacles to building a particle accelerator the size of Jupiter than the economics of it.

three more years *fingers crossed*

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post

I'm no scientist but i'd say there are bigger obstacles to building a particle accelerator the size of Jupiter than the economics of it.
    Yeah, I mean, the Galactic Empire had no qualms about employing slave labour to build the Death Stars.

Then again, we do have the Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by mjukis View Post

I need some cable-ties for my PC.