hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast

Thread: Quitting Smoking + e-Cig experiment

Re: Quitting Smoking

Came here to say I am one month and one day from smoking. I think I am really quit this time. Have a $20 bet going with a guy at work who quit the same time as me, but half of the benefit is just not wanting to let the other guy down by making it easy on him.

Another co-worker was out after first day, we are gonna spend his $20 getting a celebratory lunch for our first month of no cigs.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

XenosisReaper

I started smoking when I was a poor 16 year and regularly spending 4 or 5 days at a time without enough money to buy them has pretty much meant I have no compulsion to smoke, I just enjoy it

I found that cutting down a little every day for a few weeks until I was only just keeping the craving away, then buying patches for when I actually stopped worked. Never actually needed the patches in the end, though having them available if I needed them helped with the final cut-off. Stopped for about a year and a half then moved to Spain and failed again

Quote Originally Posted by fng
    Any tips?
    yes. stop putting a cigarette in your mouth
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    Can we get Calmdown to
    no we cannot

XenosisReaper

Something that one of my friends is doing now is to completely stop smoking one day of a week, then after 2 weeks make it 2 days and so on untill he's just not smoking at all, he's up to 4 days now and doing well so we'll see how it goes.

I've quit twice for 6 months each stretch. Routine plays a big part, if you're used to taking your work breaks with the smokers outside you need to find a different spot to break or you'll invariably end up bumming a smoke and getting back into your routine. Also bars are the devil, everytime I've started smoking (again) its been after a night of hard drinking.

You really shouldn't need patches, gum, or any other horseshit, if you're wondering what to do with yourself get a bag of lollipops to help with the oral fixation.

Nicotine affects people differently, some respond with a more heavy physical addiction while others don't. That's where you get your casual and heavy smoker distinction. For the casual smoker, it's all about routine and social events and they usually don't have trouble smoking for some time if they choose to. Because it is so easy for them to stop, a lot of them don't. For the other type you have that routine and on top of that that itch that makes you crave more nicotine every few hours, with ever shortening intervals. When I started at university about 50% of the students were smokers and almost everybody I know stopped smoking at some point. The addicted type usually goes through with it more often once they are past the first few weeks, the casual smokers tended to drift on and off.

I was that type of smoker that craved a cigarette every 40 minutes and felt physically uncomfortable if I didn't get one. It meant that the first few days of not smoking you feel withdrawal symptoms and they weren't fun at all to go through, while the next couple of weeks were mostly about fighting the habit, and that gets easier every day. It's been 3 years since I smoked and I occasionally feel the urge when going out, but I never touched another cigarette because I remembered the withdrawal (cold turkey) very well. I read that Alan Carr book about not smoking and I think it helped some, though the reason was ultimately to have more breath available for sports. I think it's very well possible for everybody to beat nicotine, but it's a considerably harder fight for some of us than most people imagine. I'm positive that if you get through your first month you have already won, but good luck anyways, you have my full sympathy.

Honestly I think the government should just man the fuck up, forgo the taxes from fags, and ban the fucking stuff entirely. I really don't see the point in keeping it around for longer than necessary, everyone knows it's fucking horrible and pointless to be doing. And pussyfooting around the subject like slowly making packaging less attractive and putting more NHS stop smoking ads on is not going to fix the fucking problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Simmons View Post
    Honestly I think the government should just man the fuck up, forgo the taxes from fags, and ban the fucking stuff entirely. I really don't see the point in keeping it around for longer than necessary, everyone knows it's fucking horrible and pointless to be doing. And pussyfooting around the subject like slowly making packaging less attractive and putting more NHS stop smoking ads on is not going to fix the fucking problem.
    Then wait for the riots that would happen when any government tried to do it. What should happen is stop wasting money on NHS ads and if people want to smoke let them, the amount the NHS spend on smoking related illness is still small compared to the amount tobacco tax brings in.

Then you could always ban alcohol next maybe?

Yawn. Why are people's arguments on the internet always so fucking predictable?

Yeah alcohol abuse is a big deal and there is a lot wrong with how its sold and marketed and consumed and all that. Except people do actually manage to enjoy alcohol in a sensible way, millions of them. High quality wine and beer and spirits making has some serious skill attached to it.

I'm sure you're going to come back to me with the whole "oh millions of people smoke for years and never die of related cancers etc". Well good for them, they are really lucky. But a freaking lot of people aren't so lucky and end up their days choking on bits of their own lungs or living out their lives with removed jaws or throats and breathing out of fucking holes in their necks.

Oh, and aside from a few drunk hobos or whatever lying in the street, alcohol does not interfere with my daily life as a non-consumer of these things the way tobacco does. I literally can't walk down half a street in my city without someone in front of me lighting up a fag (or spliff) and making me breathe in their foul toxic chemicals.

(In before cars produce more dangerous chemicals blah blah). Yeah, and I fucking hate cars and traffic and their putrid exhaust fumes sitting at traffic lights at the end of my road every time I walk to town.

FFFFFFFFFFF

i posted this long fucking post and pushed wrong button and lost everything so i'll sum it up:

you'll stop smoking when you don't feel like smoking anymore. it is counter-productive to attempt to stop smoking if you still want to. the day you look at a fag and you go "this shit is horrible", then you'll stop.

in the meantime, enjoy life and smoke your heart out!

/12 year, 3 packs/day ex-smoker

Quote Originally Posted by Al Simmons View Post
    Yawn. Why are people's arguments on the internet always so fucking predictable?

Yeah alcohol abuse is a big deal and there is a lot wrong with how its sold and marketed and consumed and all that. Except people do actually manage to enjoy alcohol in a sensible way, millions of them. High quality wine and beer and spirits making has some serious skill attached to it.
    Agreed a good deal of people enjoy alcohol in a responsible way but a fuck load of them don't, either becoming alcohol dependant costing the NHS money via alcohol related diseases or rehabilitation or causing anti social behaviour via vandalism or violence because they have had too many to drink.

Oh, and aside from a few drunk hobos or whatever lying in the street, alcohol does not interfere with my daily life as a non-consumer of these things the way tobacco does. I literally can't walk down half a street in my city without someone in front of me lighting up a fag (or spliff) and making me breathe in their foul toxic chemicals.
    Well good for you, but for many others it does interfere in peoples lives either due to having a night ruined because some drunk twat decided to pick a fight (can't say I've heard of someone smoking a pack of B&H then deciding they want a fight) or decided to drive because they think it is safe after sinking 10 pints at lunch.

(In before cars produce more dangerous chemicals blah blah). Yeah, and I fucking hate cars and traffic and their putrid exhaust fumes sitting at traffic lights at the end of my road every time I walk to town.
    True though the amount of Benzene you inhale from busy traffic in a city like Bristol/London etc was no different to being near people smoking if anything it was worse I remember reading some years ago.

I agree smoking is a horrible habit I gave up over 4 years ago and don't really miss it, however alcohol has its bad sides that effect people who do it and those around them just as much. Bottom line is the government would never ban tobacco simply for the amount it makes in tax and the uproar it would cause.

On topic of giving up smoking I gave up 3 times first time lasted less than 2 weeks, second time was due to breaking my ankle and the requiring an operation (BRI doc told me I need to give up to help the bone heal). Final time I just decided one New Years Eve I was going to give up to save money and would be better for my health, other than the odd cigar on a night out once in a while or a stag night haven't smoked since.
    Last edited by Traxio Nacho; July 29 2011 at 10:21:23 AM.

We had a good 50% smokers while I was in the army (compulsory service bullshit). Since no one ever allowed them to smoke they only had time to do it 12-14ish hours after standing up, right before going to bed. So 2-3 cigarettes was the max they had a day.

In the end they put us into a 5 storey building and people just couldn't be arsed to go down all the way to smoke. And some of those were really mad smokers.

What I'm trying to say is, like someone already did actually, just hang around with people who don't smoke if you can, it will make you look like shit. Seriously, I smack the fuck out of every smoker I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Traxio Nacho View Post
    I agree smoking is a horrible habit I gave up over 4 years ago and don't really miss it, however alcohol has its bad sides that effect people who do it and those around them just as much. Bottom line is the government would never ban tobacco simply for the amount it makes in tax and the uproar it would cause.
    The critical difference between alcohol and smoking is that there is a level of alcohol intake that does not have significant long-term negative health effects and may in some cases have a small amount of health benefits. I will note that there are actually a few studies linking any amount of alcohol intake to cancer, but they're pretty tenuous at the moment. But in any case, using current accepted mainstream thought: any non-zero number of cigarettes is measurably bad for your health. However if you never have more than 4 standard drinks in a sitting and don't drink on consecutive days, you will have basically no ill effects from alcohol.

This makes them totally and utterly not comparable. It'd be like comparing bacon with arsenic.

Also, atleast in the US, the strain on the healthcare system from people with COPD ans smoking related illnesses is stolidly silly. Anyone who knows what cigarettes do to you and still willing smokes is a fucking tart. I cannot stand people that whine about hewing out of shape or they can't breath or waaah my COPD after they have smoked 5 figs a day for years.
    world of tanks derp gun world of tanks derp gun world of tanks derp gun

Tanks name = BS87
    Every other game = Kegger McManus

Smoking is dangerous for health and we should avoid it. Smoking causes many diseases like cancer. it destroys our life completely. There are medical treatment of it. A person can quit it with a proper planning and motivational power.

Get bronchitis that won't go away even with two different types of anti bacterial pills (penicillin and roxithromycin)

I haven't smoked for almost a month using this method

Shit's legit, yo.

q_q

Bit over two months of being quit after 6 years of up to a pack a day smoking.

How I did it was go out and get catatonically drunk and then spend the next two days sleeping it off and miss the worst of the withdrawals. It was still one of the worst experiances of my life the first two weeks and literally felt physically ill like I would throw up if I didn't get one (didn't throw up but it kept me from doing much). Add to that the fact I'd given up the grog at the same time after habitually drinking 4+ drinks a day for the previous year or so.

Still get cravings now when I do things I associate with smoking, waiting at bus stops, going to uni, playing EVE, but it's getting better. Back drinking, not anywhere near as much, but still no smokes.

And for the people saying to ban smokes it'll never happen just cause the governments know that if they are illegal criminals will just supply them at a premium (see: prohibition and Al Capone).

It's a lot easier to quit smoking if you also quit drinking.

I don't believe in those patches or any of that rubbish, if I'm going to spend money on smoking I might as well be spending it on tobacco.

Get rid of everything smoking related in your house, ashtrays, lighters and any other paraphenalia. It's a lot easier if there is nothing there to remind you of those tasty bastards you are missing out on.

On the other hand. My friend quit while keeping a full pack of emergency cigs in a drawer. The idea being there would be no worrying about possible midnight cravings with no fix available.

Different things work for different people. I can quit for as long as I can refrain from drinking, but after a couple of beers all bets are off.
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

Smoked for 15 years, was up to a pack a day. What worked for me was two of my friends had destination weddings last year and the cost of attending fucked up my finances to the point where I needed the $150/mo to pay for it. The moral of my story is being a greedy jew is another method of quitting. During the first few days I ended up smoking some half smoked cigarettes, and days that I could get away with being blatso were spent as such. Time at work was a motherfucker, missing the former the regiment of smoke breaks was a bitch, also apparently I'm such an asshole in general that nobody in my office noticed any change when I quit. One physical thing that helped me with cravings was to stand up, take a good stretch with a few deep breaths. Mentally I'd remind myself about the money, or just that in the grand scheme of things it could be worse, like getting hit by a car or being black.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's been a year now. I could afford to start again but the greed has kept me from doing so. Although, if I ever win the lottery I'm going to start back up.