hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: Quitting Smoking + e-Cig experiment

Re: Quitting Smoking

I smoke about a cig a day. Sometimes I go 3 days without one. I consider myself a social smoker, usually just enjoy lighting one up and enjoying a conversation. Drawback is I can go through a pack a night at a party. \o/

Addiction is something you can master in your mind. If you truly want to quit, you'll quit. (NO NOT BELIEVING IN YOURSELF)

Personally, if I ever find myself addicted to anything, I fully intend to use copious amounts of video games as my recovery method. One addiction to rule them all B)

Quote Originally Posted by Jayden
    I smoke about a cig a day. Sometimes I go 3 days without one. I consider myself a social smoker, usually just enjoy lighting one up and enjoying a conversation. Drawback is I can go through a pack a night at a party. \o/

Addiction is something you can master in your mind. If you truly want to quit, you'll quit. (NO NOT BELIEVING IN YOURSELF)

Personally, if I ever find myself addicted to anything, I fully intend to use copious amounts of video games as my recovery method. One addiction to rule them all B)

Decided to go cold-turkey after coughing up blood one morning.

Withdrawals took me out of action for a couple of days. Felt bad man. :(

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar

I went cold turkey and am slowly replacing nicotine addiction with alcohol addiction. It's been roughly 3 weeks now. I do feel some strong urges now and then, especially if I see someone else smoking and as everyone else said, it's going to take willpower to control it. Ironically, I got over the "hump" by virtue of being sick for 2 days and not smoking at all and I decided to continue the trend.

I am guessing I can continue this since I don't feel the urge to smoke when I drink (has never been true before)

I quit about 5 years ago, after being disgusted at myself for needing the damn cigs too much

I used nicotine candies, as the patches contained way too much nicotine compared to what I smoked, and I heard the chewing gums can be bad to the teeth.
    I tried just not smoking at all from day one, and whenever the urge got too bad, I popped a candy.

Thankfully the candy tasted terrible after the first few minutes, so I didnt eat them for their own sake, and they provided negative reinforcement as a bonus.
    They did, however, make the craving go away, and after a while I did not need them anymore.

One of the best decisions I ever made, go for it, you will feel much better once you're clean

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxus
    A lot of people have good luck with chantix. It actually works well, but it has some hellacious possible side effects. Remember it's common to take multiple tries to quit so the biggest thing is that if you fall off the bus just get right back up on it. Nobodies perfect.
    Had horrible side effects here. I was unable to control my already considerable quitter rage and bad things followed.

I quit by making my own cigs, no not the shitty bugler tobacco. Ingredients : tasty tobacco, filters and a tube shooter. I found that without the additional chemicals, I didn't crave a smoke as badly as I had with store bought cigs. I didn't get much of a flavor at first, but eventually as my taste buds resumed their function, the loose tobacco had a much better flavor than the pesticide dipped marlboros I had been smoking.

10 year 2 pack a day ex-smoker checking in.

Stop being a faggot and just decide if you want to smoke or not. Just like anything else in your life, if you really want to stop bad enough you can just by sheer will. If you really just say you want to you wont. Worst thing you can do is trick yourself into thinking that you think you really want to quit and try to quit but fail. The failure will discourage you from actually quitting for real. Quit when your ready.

If you want to smoke, then do it. If you want to quit, then quit.

Get a girlfriend that absolutely hates smoking and doesn't want to make out if you just smoked.
    Easy...

Quote Originally Posted by Al Simmons
    I quit smoking by never starting, because I wasn't a retard and knew even as a child that smoking was incredibly addictive and a stupid thing to start doing.
    so edgy

Movember 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Morax Marbas
    Get a girlfriend that absolutely hates smoking and doesn't want to make out if you just smoked.
    Easy...
    this works until you break up

i stopped smoking for the third and last time last November 19.

my very simple trick:
    i wait until my inevitable annual pneumonia/bronchitis. during that period, even if i reaeaeaeaeally want to, im simply incapable of smoking. so that lasts about 2-3 days. when i come to, the worst has passed and the first cigarette after tastes really bad anyways, so it's a simple matter of not buying another pack.

which is easier said than done when you go to pubs 3-4 times a week and you DJ on saturdays

So I hear these electronic cigarettes are great for quitting smoking. Problem is you can keep getting your nicotine hit without the health impact, so you don't need to give up nicotine at all?

Oh wait, that's not a problem really.

Last I heard was Fools Paradise tried smoking them e-cigarettes. Then she stopped posting. So, take your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterDecoy
    i wait until my inevitable annual pneumonia/bronchitis
    Ah, so I'm not alone. I had that shit for years and years, maybe a straight decade or so. Was fucking harsh, always missed 2-3 weeks of school every year. Finally managed to ditch the cycle my second year of not leaving the house, haven't really had it since. It got worse each year, finally stopping at bronchial pneumonia. Try to take it SUPER fucking easy for a month or so before it should start. No exertion at all. Awesome nutrition. Phenomenal amounts of rest. It might work.

i read threads and make bad posts and i'm all out of read threads

shitposting shitposts one shitpost at a shitpost

??????????????????

I also had that for 3 or 4 years, 1-2 weeks at a time. I'm really fucking glad it didn't keep happening outside of high school, felt like i was going to die and i went to the hospital twice when I was too weak to lift my arms up.

Regarding smoking, I should probably quit soon but it'll be hard because my only reason is long-term health. I haven't been at it long enough to have any appreciable withdrawal effects and only have 5-7 a day, but there are certain things i just can't do without wanting to have a smoke, like going for a walk or driving to work. :willpower: is a tall order when you don't really want to quit but know you should. Maybe I'll be so poor soon I'll quit to save money.

Good luck to anyone who's trying after years of being addicted.

Motivation:

This is what you look like to non smokers:

[youtube:1w8l1kgv]Vm31xBjfMNY[/youtube:1w8l1kgv]

Lolled ^^

i was smoking 3 packs a day (more when i go out) for 15 years so i gives major props to myself for that.

only 'bad' thing i can say about not smoking anymore was my heightened sensitivity to smoke. i lost my voice and had some major throat irritation a couple times, coming back home at 7 in the morning after a good night out.

also, pretty good timing considering beijing just dropped a smoking ban in all bars and restaurant. so there, thank you communism

Quit almost half a year ago, on the day I turned 25. Had been smoking since I was 16, alternating between 1-4 and 15+ a day, probably averaged 10 a day for those 9 years.i didn't use the patch or anything, just made it clear to myself for a few months before quitting that my birthday would be the day. Think setting a solid but realistic date in the future is the way to go.

Was still really sucky for a week or two, but it was the one and only time I decided to quit. The problem some of my friends have is that they've tried to quit 50 times and failed, so their just used to failing to quit. Just do it once and mean it, and don't throw money at those shitty patches..

Quote Originally Posted by Cerzi
    Quit almost half a year ago, on the day I turned 25. Had been smoking since I was 16, alternating between 1-4 and 15+ a day, probably averaged 10 a day for those 9 years.i didn't use the patch or anything, just made it clear to myself for a few months before quitting that my birthday would be the day. Think setting a solid but realistic date in the future is the way to go.

Was still really sucky for a week or two, but it was the one and only time I decided to quit. The problem some of my friends have is that they've tried to quit 50 times and failed, so their just used to failing to quit. Just do it once and mean it, and don't throw money at those shitty patches..
    This is basically what I did, Although I had the added bonus of being really fucking ill/sharp stabbing pains in my chest that made me think it might be cancer, that gave me a good head start. Been 5 weeks so far and haven't even felt the urge when not drinking. When I drink I crave like fuck, which coincidently means I've been drinking less too.

Its funny, I always told myself I'd quit when I stopped enjoying it, and for the last 6 months before I gave up I really was just smoking for something to do at breaktimes at work, or being bored at home.