hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 435 of 443 FirstFirst ... 335385425432433434435436437438 ... LastLast
Results 8,681 to 8,700 of 8842

Thread: The TV Thread

  1. #8681

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    688
    I wish they had continued both the B5 and BSG spin offs.

  2. #8682
    Movember 2012 Stoffl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The original viennese waffle
    Posts
    23,257
    wat

    I thoguht Crusade was complete horseshit.

  3. #8683
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,764
    I wish spin-offs were illegal

  4. #8684
    Straight Hustlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Jori McKie View Post

    - Battlestar Galactica (2004), the deus ex machina aka Angels is "what the fuck" worthy and Starbuck aka Kara Thrace destiny/orgins/whatever is never explained
    I still dont get why people are upset that a show based upon mormon mythos, that heavily explored religious and dogmatic themes, and literally said people were angels in the pilot episode; are upset that there were angels. /shrug

  5. #8685
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,764
    Here is how I like to remember BSG:


  6. #8686
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,167
    Scene was a good one. Loved me some BSG for the first few seasons.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


  7. #8687

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    775
    Speaking of questionable writing; what does Foundation think it is trying to be? So far it seems like someone picked out a list of names and places without bothering to check what their significance was. It's not terrible and the production quality is as you would expect, but why try to associate it with Asimov instead of going for an original label? I get that they are going for a re-imagination in the same vein as BSG, but there is a difference in the contrast to the source material that makes me wonder what tone they are going for. Like with The Witcher, I imagine viewers who haven't read the novels are just confused at this point.

  8. #8688
    Caldrion Dosto's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Quaan View Post
    Speaking of questionable writing; what does Foundation think it is trying to be? So far it seems like someone picked out a list of names and places without bothering to check what their significance was. It's not terrible and the production quality is as you would expect, but why try to associate it with Asimov instead of going for an original label? I get that they are going for a re-imagination in the same vein as BSG, but there is a difference in the contrast to the source material that makes me wonder what tone they are going for. Like with The Witcher, I imagine viewers who haven't read the novels are just confused at this point.
    Not at all, i think it is pretty good and im interested in seeing what will come next.
    Not having read anything means i have no expectation on what will be next, but im really sad they go for the 1/week thing.

  9. #8689
    The Pube Whisperer Maximillian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,307
    The Foundation series was a really dry read and given it was written initially in the 1950s the technology was really behind the times - atomic power being the key technology of the Empire. Also a lot of Asimov's work is people discussing matters which doesn't make for great TV or movies.

    Fuck paying Apple anything but the clips I have seen on Youtube seem both good and bad on the reimagining side of things. Foundation was a sci-fy version of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. The new version has brought in questions around cloning and 9/11 style terrorism aka the destruction of the Star Bridge.

    No idea what the Vault on Terminus is meant to be.

  10. #8690

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    8,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    The Foundation series was a really dry read and given it was written initially in the 1950s the technology was really behind the times - atomic power being the key technology of the Empire. Also a lot of Asimov's work is people discussing matters which doesn't make for great TV or movies.

    Fuck paying Apple anything but the clips I have seen on Youtube seem both good and bad on the reimagining side of things. Foundation was a sci-fy version of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. The new version has brought in questions around cloning and 9/11 style terrorism aka the destruction of the Star Bridge.

    No idea what the Vault on Terminus is meant to be.
    Probably the Seldon's holographic vault from the books, just made more prominent.

  11. #8691
    dzajic's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15, 2011
    Posts
    4,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jori McKie View Post
    I think GOT has a botched/rushed final season but it's not alone. Out the top of my head series i watched and still remember, this comes to mind for the worst final season/episode:

    - Battlestar Galactica (2004), the deus ex machina aka Angels is "what the fuck" worthy and Starbuck aka Kara Thrace destiny/orgins/whatever is never explained
    - Dexter of course woodshipping at the end....
    - Gilmore Girls no end at all, no wonder as Palladino exit it for the last season

    and the famous one i never watched, Lost


    Good, satisfying endings i still can remember
    - The Wire
    - Banshee
    - Westworld
    - Sons of Anarchy
    - The Little Drummer Girl
    - The Queen's Gambit
    Babylon 5's final season also suffered greatly from it being cancelled and then recomissioned
    But season 4 still managed to do a satisfying wrap up to major plot lines. Since they thought it was the last one. B5 suffered from having to have two endings.

    About Foundation. Tried watching. Plot and characters are going literally against the most basic ideas of the book. To the point when super special strong independent black female Salvor Hardin says that "violence is the last resort of the incompetent" is obsolete view point of eggheads.

  12. #8692
    Movember 2012 Stoffl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The original viennese waffle
    Posts
    23,257
    Not feeling The Foundation series. Boring.

    Never ready any of the source material.

  13. #8693

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    5,988
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I wish spin-offs were illegal
    For variying definitions of "spin-off", we would have missed out on some truly great shows, e.g. ST:TNG or DS9.

    And while talking about BSG; no Xena, Warrior Princess.

    Can we perhaps agree on "I wish bad spin-offs were illegal"?

  14. #8694
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Not feeling The Foundation series. Boring.

    Never ready any of the source material.
    Episode 3 was dull as fuck. But in the 4th, things got interesting. Probably the best one so far.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

  15. #8695
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    3,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I wish spin-offs were illegal
    For variying definitions of "spin-off", we would have missed out on some truly great shows, e.g. ST:TNG or DS9.

    And while talking about BSG; no Xena, Warrior Princess.

    Can we perhaps agree on "I wish bad spin-offs were illegal"?
    No

  16. #8696
    August's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10, 2019
    Posts
    633
    I liked Fraiser, for an oldie. And I also enjoyed Better Call Saul.

  17. #8697
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,167
    I think this is were I show how old I am by pointing out Laverne and Shirley, as well as Mork and Mindy were Happy Days spin offs. We definitely didn't need Joni Loves Chachi though.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


  18. #8698
    Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NL fuck yeah
    Posts
    4,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    I think this is were I show how old I am by pointing out Laverne and Shirley, as well as Mork and Mindy were Happy Days spin offs. We definitely didn't need Joni Loves Chachi though.
    Or Joey.

  19. #8699
    Movember 2012 Elriche Oshego's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21, 2011
    Posts
    8,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    wat

    I thoguht Crusade was complete horseshit.
    Not empty quotin'. There were no BSG spin-offs. They did do some one shot TV movies though.

  20. #8700
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    2,926
    Yeah spin offs are fine, shit media exists and spin offs aren't immune, but Better Call Saul I prefer over Breakomg Bad. Plenty of shows can be good as spin offs, but not if they don't have a lot going for them.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •