hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 444 of 453 FirstFirst ... 344394434441442443444445446447 ... LastLast
Results 8,861 to 8,880 of 9045

Thread: The TV Thread

Other things I can recommend is Hellbound on NetFlix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWfgm20-LTM
    Korean horror/supernatural dark stuff with a good sprinkling of (o)cultist fascism and some serious "revenge" plot.
    Well made, great actors, great story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

It's time to love to hate again: Star Trek Discovery is back.

Will report on the degree of awful (hint: all of it, probably).

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post

The dilemma with this season is so far interesting, we one still don't knows what it is.
    But character('s) are as bad as ever. Such an easy fix, get rid of Michael Burnham and it vastly improves.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Star Trek; Crying all the time

Beyond all the crying and the emo stuff, what gets me is the little things. Like:

Every time we are on the bridge and the ship gets hit with something, debris starts flying. Big, rock-shaped chunks of... something. Where the fuck do they come from? Is someone keeping his loose mineral collection at his work station? Do the consoles just crumble to dust at the smallest impact? And if it's part of the ship's structure, how do people survive those impacts when future-fantasy-materials cannot?

Seriously, keep an eye out for it. Ship gets hit by a subspace thingamajig? Captain wobbles around in his chair, and chunks of rock-shaped styrofoam start flying.

The other thing, and that might make me unpopular, is the extreme representation. I dont mind a diverse crew, what i do mind is that they seem to play Pokemon gotta catch em all. One fat chick, bunch of gay guys/gals, one of each race / color, a cyborg, a gay albino married to a black undead (i'm not kidding) and a metrosexual Trill in love with it's own symbiote persona. I think the bridge crew is about 80% biologically female. Strong Female Lead is in an open relationship with a bisexual telepath, i think? Hard to keep track of it all.
    It's like a flying rainbow-colored soap opera.

Anyways, thats why i love to hate it. It looks pretty but every minute gives me a new wtf.
    Last edited by Lilalaunebör; December 10 2021 at 02:21:26 AM.

1st episode of Expanse out. Not to bad as a set up episode. The main problem is Marco is just such a comic book villain. Drummer is still the best character.
    I have just about finished the latest book, its amazing how far the story and its scope has developed from the current storyline.

Cowbow Bebop already cancelled by Netflix. Lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Cowbow Bebop already cancelled by Netflix. Lmao.
    Shame, there are far worse show there that keep on going. I guess it's more about viewer numbers than quality.

Murder among the mormons is an interesting documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post

The dilemma with this season is so far interesting, we one still don't knows what it is.
    But character('s) are as bad as ever. Such an easy fix, get rid of Michael Burnham and it vastly improves.
    They just got rid of Fatty McAnnoyance, so it's a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post
    Being able to watch Babylon 5 from the start is tickling my nostalgia bones.
    Where?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Roseburn
    Nope.

user was banned for this lock

I think the bridge crew is about 80% biologically female.
    Funnily enough, we never complaint about such a thing when the same percentage of the crew was male.

As for crew/cast in general, I apply the same principle to it as I apply to mankind as a whole:

There are only two kind of people: those who are assholes and those who are not. Every gender, race, culture, nation, body shape, <your-favorite-distinguishing-characteristic-here> has plenty of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Funnily enough, we never complaint about such a thing when the same percentage of the crew was male.
    A-yup.

Funny how that works eh.

The other thing, and that might make me unpopular, is the extreme representation. I dont mind a diverse crew, what i do mind is that they seem to play Pokemon gotta catch em all. One fat chick, bunch of gay guys/gals, one of each race / color, a cyborg, a gay albino married to a black undead (i'm not kidding) and a metrosexual Trill in love with it's own symbiote persona. I think the bridge crew is about 80% biologically female. Strong Female Lead is in an open relationship with a bisexual telepath, i think? Hard to keep track of it all.
    WTF does "extreme representation" even mean, that all races/genders/body types are represented? And this is bad? The entire fucking thesis statement for Star Trek is that in the future, we're over this "what color are you tho" bullshit. If that makes you feel uncomfortable, maybe have a think about why that is.

Now, are they poorly written marionette dolls that the showrunners just use as props for nonsense storylines, instead of believable thought-out characters? Sure, no one's going to argue that the writing in Disco/Picard isn't dogshit. But of all the things to single out, you picked the one thing they did right that Star Trek has always been working to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Well he did say it may be an unpopular opinion.

Woke-trek rubbed me the wrong way when Voyager came out, I got over it, but I understand the sentiment.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    WTF does "extreme representation" even mean, that all races/genders/body types are represented? And this is bad? The entire fucking thesis statement for Star Trek is that in the future, we're over this "what color are you tho" bullshit. If that makes you feel uncomfortable, maybe have a think about why that is.

Now, are they poorly written marionette dolls that the showrunners just use as props for nonsense storylines, instead of believable thought-out characters? Sure, no one's going to argue that the writing in Disco/Picard isn't dogshit. But of all the things to single out, you picked the one thing they did right that Star Trek has always been working to achieve.
    Its not bad but it does stand out exactly because the characters are poorly written. Most of the characters being 2 dimensional cardboard cutouts whose singular notable character trait is being part of "minority group X" creates a very designed-by-committee diversity that looks and feels fake. Like people smiling on posters or a list of random numbers someone manually adjusted because it didn't look random enough its got a weird this is too perfectly balanced to be naturally occurring vibe to it.

Also not terribly surprised cowboy bebop got cancelled. I enjoyed it but it didn't strike me as something that would resonate outside of the nerd communities.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post
    Most of the characters being 2 dimensional cardboard cutouts whose singular notable character trait is being part of "minority group X" creates a very designed-by-committee diversity that looks and feels fake.
    I disagree. You could for instance gender swap either of Stamets/Culber and their story would work exactly the same. The characters are badly written but they're not flat representations of some minority group.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Its not bad but it does stand out exactly because the characters are poorly written. Most of the characters being 2 dimensional cardboard cutouts whose singular notable character trait is being part of "minority group X"
    While I understand the sentiment there's something really weird about saying characters stand out because they aren't white males.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    A-yup.

Funny how that works eh.

No women, no gays, no nonwhites

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Its not bad but it does stand out exactly because the characters are poorly written. Most of the characters being 2 dimensional cardboard cutouts whose singular notable character trait is being part of "minority group X"
    While I understand the sentiment there's something really weird about saying characters stand out because they aren't white males.
    If something is marketed to males, which Star Trek is with its heavily male fanbase of loser Trekkies, I don't have with a problem with expecting more male than female characters. If my aftershave had a woman on the cover, I would think it's strange and have second thoughts about buying.

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    If something is marketed to males, which Star Trek is with its heavily male fanbase of loser Trekkies, I don't have with a problem with expecting more male than female characters. If my aftershave had a woman on the cover, I would think it's strange and have second thoughts about buying.
    If the show is marketed towards men wouldn't more women's be appropriate, preferably scanty clad? Or can it be that these shows are actually for children, and then equal and more diverse is preferable?