hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 443 of 453 FirstFirst ... 343393433440441442443444445446 ... LastLast
Results 8,841 to 8,860 of 9041

Thread: The TV Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Smegs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post
    I enjoyed the new Cowboy Bebop, solid 4/5. I thought the cast were good, particularly Faye and assorted cameo roles. It was fun and funny and had a bit of a Firefly vibe for me.

Obviously, it is a tame reboot of a unique piece of art, but at times, I found the original too unclear and abstract.
    Gave it ago recently and (given that i am fucking bitter generally), found parts of it pretty good. Faye is definately the star performer. Early dialogue between Spike and Jet was a little slow and forced (almost like american comedy), but when Faye entered, the actress immediately bought the dialogue up to a good pace. Solid 7.5/10.
    I'm def. in the "the original is a masterwork, wtf are you trying to do remaking it" camp, but even us curmudgeonliest of curmudgeons seem to agree that the main 3 cast are a genuine highlight. If you've never seen or don't remember the original, Mustafa Shakir just is Jet Black in a way that's almost spooky. A lot of the things that don't work for original fans, new watchers probably won't notice. I thought the new show was it's best when it wasn't just trying to copy/paste scenes right out of the anime, and at it's worst whenever Vicious was on screen - he less of a cartoon in the cartoon.

Sets and production design were mostly good, but was no one else bothered when they'd do an outdoor scene and it just looked like a studio backlot with maybe some vague scifi cgi background stuff added here and there? I thought all of that looked incredibly cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smegs View Post
    I enjoyed the new Cowboy Bebop, solid 4/5. I thought the cast were good, particularly Faye and assorted cameo roles. It was fun and funny and had a bit of a Firefly vibe for me.

Obviously, it is a tame reboot of a unique piece of art, but at times, I found the original too unclear and abstract.
    Gave it ago recently and (given that i am fucking bitter generally), found parts of it pretty good. Faye is definately the star performer. Early dialogue between Spike and Jet was a little slow and forced (almost like american comedy), but when Faye entered, the actress immediately bought the dialogue up to a good pace. Solid 7.5/10.
    I'm def. in the "the original is a masterwork, wtf are you trying to do remaking it" camp, but even us curmudgeonliest of curmudgeons seem to agree that the main 3 cast are a genuine highlight. If you've never seen or don't remember the original, Mustafa Shakir just is Jet Black in a way that's almost spooky. A lot of the things that don't work for original fans, new watchers probably won't notice. I thought the new show was it's best when it wasn't just trying to copy/paste scenes right out of the anime, and at it's worst whenever Vicious was on screen - he less of a cartoon in the cartoon.

Sets and production design were mostly good, but was no one else bothered when they'd do an outdoor scene and it just looked like a studio backlot with maybe some vague scifi cgi background stuff added here and there? I thought all of that looked incredibly cheap.
    Agree with the above including the cheap-looking sets. For me only two of the episodes worked but I am glad some of you enjoyed the show.

Just got to the end of The Outlaws. Walken's not quite up his usual standard in it, but Merchant is. Overall, very watchable in a BBC comedy-drama kind of way.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    The White Lotus is amazing. Slow burn, but the craziness of the music is a good indication of things to come.

2021 is almost over.
    What has been your most painful shows to watch?

Heres my top 3 in the worst category.

Masters of the Universe: Revelation
    This botched attempt at reviving a franchise, ruined it instead.
    I would have expected this kind of woke garbage from Disney. But Netflix? That was a huge surprise, they usually honor the source material better.
    Belittles He-Man, and turns him into a secondary/support character. Where men are dumb and the females rise up to save the universe.

Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol
    Utterly uninteresting story, characters and actors.
    Evil person wants to become god. Sets up on incredibly long chain of clues and puzzles for the hero to solve.
    This could probably work in a book, but on the screen. He is just pulling the answers out from thin air.

Star Trek: Discovery
    This show got two flaws.
    Every season have to outdo the previous one, by a whole lot.
    Show was good in first season, but then it just went off the rails. All the stakes raised to 14.
    Second problem is the main character. Female space jesus. This show is not about the ship Discovery, but Michael Burnham.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Bit early to get your nominees for the 2021 Failie TV Awards in, isn't it? But hey, I'll bite. As per the official Failie rules I chose from things that I have actually watched (so I had some hopes for them). My nominees for the 2021 Failie TV Awards are:

Kevin Can F**k Himself
    Started quite good but went nowhere

Foundation
    The money was there but the writing wasn't

Cowboy Bebop
    Looked cheap, some quite bad storyline decisions

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
    I mean that was just real bad

How controversial!

For balance, here are my 2021 Heapie (of Praise) TV Awards nominees:

Arcane
    Hacks
    The White Lotus
    Last edited by GeromeDoutrande; December 7 2021 at 07:53:44 AM.

Still a whole lota TV left this month, like The Expanse. And this year has been so long can barely remember the beginning of the year

but for worst so far
    Raised by wolves
    everything marvel topped by Loki
    I agree that Foundation didnt live it to its potential but that was still a lot better than season 2 of See

best
    Invincible
    Arcane
    Succession
    honorable mention Dopesick, Reservation dogs

2021 and 2020 has been such a blur with rl and tv show schedules being fuked.

I really like the 'morning show' great take on me2 movement from both sides and power women. Weird camera tho, really close up in high def. Watch it, its gud.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Netflix has picked up Oats Studios mini-episodes. https://www.imdb.com/list/ls024184641/

I had major deja-vu over the 2nd episode before I realized I had seen it or a teaser of it before.
    Ether way, good shit and it had quite a few stories I had not seen before.

And it makes me sad/mad that an "amateur" studio with "no" budget can produce something that generates more feeling and engagement than a certain fantasy series touting to be the most expensive thing ever made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

... and in the two year old news department ...

I just finished Mr Robot. It is a totally uncompromising, fully formed artistic vision. It's confusing and uneven (hence me finishing it 2 years after release) but I think it is one of my top 10 ever TV shows. Some spoilers below.

It's a hacker show, where they get all the tech and culture exactly right. The plot is fun and highly topical (at least to 2019), although with some loose ends. The creator (Sam Esmail) clearly had all 4 series planned from the start, so he gets to take you on a complete journey. It has a seriously unreliable narrator and takes an idiosyncratic path, with odd walk-in-the-woods and no dialog episodes, but for me it all just works. It's Rami Malek's break-out role, but the supporting cast, particularly Christian Slater, Joey Bada$$, BD Wong and Bobby Cannavale are good too.

Also, the music is great!
    Last edited by duckduck; December 7 2021 at 05:20:40 PM.

Raised by wolves and wheel of time are up there on the bad TV scale so far. See and STD don't get on the list as I gave up on them way sooner and haven't seen any of this years episodes. Also watched some episodes of Motherland: Fort Salem this year, and holy cow is that one crappy, then again it is also obviously aimed at teenage girls.

Daredevil returning on Disney+
    They signed up the same actor, Charlie Cox.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Reservation Dogs is indeed pretty good.

also on worst, The way they ended Line of Duty. Admittedly last couple of seasons have been terrible, for a once great cop procedural. But final season was indeed a crime.

I just finished Mr Robot. It is a totally uncompromising, fully formed artistic vision. It's confusing and uneven (hence me finishing it 2 years after release) but I think it is one of my top 10 ever TV shows. Some spoilers below.

It's a hacker show, where they get all the tech and culture exactly right. The plot is fun and highly topical (at least to 2019), although with some loose ends. The creator (Sam Esmail) clearly had all 4 series planned from the start, so he gets to take you on a complete journey. It has a seriously unreliable narrator and takes an idiosyncratic path, with odd walk-in-the-woods and no dialog episodes, but for me it all just works. It's Rami Malek's break-out role, but the supporting cast, particularly Christian Slater, Joey Bada$$, BD Wong and Bobby Cannavale are good too.

I haven’t made it through the series but I agree that Mr. Robot is extremely impressive. I think it flew under the radar, at least compared to its quality, because it came out on USA after the heyday of network cable tv passed (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post

I haven’t made it through the series but I agree that Mr. Robot is extremely impressive. I think it flew under the radar, at least compared to its quality, because it came out on USA after the heyday of network cable tv passed (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.)
    I might need to give it another try. I liked it but I...I couldnt fuckin stand Christian Slater. And I usually like/have no problem with him. He was probably not the only reason but it didnt take long before I just found the whole thing super cringe and immersion just went away.
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Being able to watch Babylon 5 from the start is tickling my nostalgia bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Netflix has picked up Oats Studios mini-episodes. https://www.imdb.com/list/ls024184641/

I had major deja-vu over the 2nd episode before I realized I had seen it or a teaser of it before.

And it makes me sad/mad that an "amateur" studio with "no" budget can produce something that generates more feeling and engagement than a certain fantasy series touting to be the most expensive thing ever made.
    Is it being released under any name for the group of shorts? I have seen all the stuff on you tube channel but would be good to be able to find it on the high seas.

Was good, some of it kinda falls apart at times but largely it's a great show with a really fun cast and plot. The episode in S3 were they don't talk the whole time and you feel like it's better writing than most garbage TV is one of my favs.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmoore View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post

Is it being released under any name for the group of shorts? I have seen all the stuff on you tube channel but would be good to be able to find it on the high seas.
    No dont think so, its just named Oats Studios on Netflix.