hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 440 of 452 FirstFirst ... 340390430437438439440441442443450 ... LastLast
Results 8,781 to 8,800 of 9029

Thread: The TV Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Redmoore View Post
    -I wish hollywood would get over "archers" carrying arrows in back quivers, just didn't happen.
    Back quivers exist for the same reason back scabbards exist - their real-life counterparts complicate filming, banging into stuff/people, getting caught on things. Yes, they aren't real, but at least the characters look a lot more badass if they don't have to constantly disentangle themselves from random bushes.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Confirming dopesick is great
    This. I also feel that I will be quite broken and enraged once its finished because god damn I'm already angry.

And Arcane continues to be really good!
    Last edited by Lowa [NSN]; November 19 2021 at 03:41:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

-I wish hollywood would get over "archers" carrying arrows in back quivers, just didn't happen.
    Maybe didn't happen in our world, but apparently they were quite popular in Westeros, Middle-Earth, or Wheel.of Time world.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Maybe didn't happen in our world, but apparently they were quite popular in Westeros, Middle-Earth, or Wheel.of Time world.
    My educated guess is that they stop it round about the same time they stop assembling horns onto viking helmets. Didn't happen either.

Last episode of foundation is not great. They should have spent some of that money on people who can act and some better writing.
    Honestly, after reading a bit into the Foundation series, my opinion on the TV series has soured a lot.

The first few stories are about how societal trends can be reliably predicted, which leads to some form of historical inevitability. They are close to Marxism in that regard, but Asimov veers off a bit into the paradox of pre-determinism and takes cover behind the importance of the individual, and now I am roughly at the part where he goes a bit coocoo and invents space-illuminati (although it's fine with me in a space-scifi setting it smells a bit of ubermensch).

Anyways, the TV series throws all that away / skips ahead, and makes it a story about Jor-el, his adopted daughter Kal-el, and *her* estranged daughter Miss AfroHelmet. All the business with Empire, I dont even know what that is about except a literal machina ex deus ex machina (lol).

I found the characters to be poorly written and unrelatable, the reveals superficial and pretentious, there is a whole bunch of episodes in the second half that are basically bottle episode segments cross-cut to make the budget work and there is some really grimly written stuff where they make the actors spout of exposition text while literally staring into nothingness or deliver just plain terrible speeches. I can't fault the actors, because apart from the robot lady they have almost nothing useful to work with.

Still, some parts of the show look beautiful and the robot lady story bits are interesting to me, even if they progress only a little throughout the season.

My biggest gripe is that much of the plot has been turned to predicting individuals and inanimate objects, which were a no-go on the original idea, where seldon could only predict stuff for large masses of humans. This might become problematic when they introduce the Mule, which was already name dropped before, as that whole arc was about a single individual not really mattering.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Last episode of foundation is not great. They should have spent some of that money on people who can act and some better writing.
    Honestly, after reading a bit into the Foundation series, my opinion on the TV series has soured a lot.

The first few stories are about how societal trends can be reliably predicted, which leads to some form of historical inevitability. They are close to Marxism in that regard, but Asimov veers off a bit into the paradox of pre-determinism and takes cover behind the importance of the individual, and now I am roughly at the part where he goes a bit coocoo and invents space-illuminati (although it's fine with me in a space-scifi setting it smells a bit of ubermensch).

Anyways, the TV series throws all that away / skips ahead, and makes it a story about Jor-el, his adopted daughter Kal-el, and *her* estranged daughter Miss AfroHelmet. All the business with Empire, I dont even know what that is about except a literal machina ex deus ex machina (lol).
    I think it's closer to Big Data and AI than Marxism. Seldon was a statistician. Asimov was born too early to have better sci-fi vocab for that kind of thing, so iirc in the novel they compare it to the kinetic theory of gases, law of large numbers, and other antiquated statistical concepts. If Asmiov wrote it today, he'd probably say stuff like neural nets, principal component analysis, SVMs, yadda yadda.

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post

I think it's closer to Big Data and AI than Marxism. Seldon was a statistician. Asimov was born too early to have better sci-fi vocab for that kind of thing, so iirc in the novel they compare it to the kinetic theory of gases, law of large numbers, and other antiquated statistical concepts. If Asmiov wrote it today, he'd probably say stuff like neural nets, principal component analysis, SVMs, yadda yadda.
    What irked me about the finale especially was that they turned Seldon into a literal ghost, interpreting the present rather than the echo clinging to his statistical models.

If you have mister God able to actively interfere in affairs, the entire concept of predictive modeling goes out the window. Would the crisis have worked out without him? The only "predicting" he did was predict the course of the Invictus, which paradoxically would be impossible for book Seldon since its an individual event not a movement of masses. (I also think show Seldon engineered the Star Bridge bombing, which puts him squarely in the camp of antagonist rather than detached observer).

As I said, I hate that they threw all of that away. I think the writers just completely missed the point of the source.
    Last edited by Lilalaunebör; November 20 2021 at 01:12:01 AM.

Oh god

yep, that happened

What the fuck is that sound mixing. Did they film in an elevator?

I finished watching the first episode of the Wheel of Time. So many problems. The adaption itself from book to show is fucked, regardless of the questionable casting and costume choices.

We have a scene that opens with Egwene getting her hair braided, then she gets tossed into a river and nothing afterwards refers to the river-tossing. Okay? Then Moiraine, who has never met Egwene before and doesn't know her, goes to her and has a Serious Conversation in a barn (?) that's a standard boilerplate 'you're of age now, you can handle the responsibility'. Thanks, I guess.

Moving on, we have a festival in town that lasts for all of one minute, before some guy gets an arrow to the chest. Some girl that Perrin really likes dies in the ensuing fight. I don't remember her name. We know he likes her a lot because the show tells us he does, and he looks really sad when she's dead. There was a lot of blood too.

The actual battle with Lan, Moiraine, and the trollocs was satisfactory. I would nitpick more here about Moiraine in the fight if the rest of the show was better.

Moiraine then goes to the three boys and tells them they have to leave town and go to the White Tower. How long have they known her at that point? One day? I forget. Does this entire episode happen in one day? Possibly, I can't say since I got distracted when watching. Anyway, the boys say fine and off they go.

It's like if Harry Potter was already at Hogwarts ten minutes in.

Now, casting.

I was excited for Rosamund Pike, but I was surprised to see that she looks bland here. I think it's a combination of poor makeup and uninteresting script.

Everyone here seems ugly or bland for premium TV too. In LA-speak, some people have the look for movies and some people have the look for TV. Well, most of these people have the look for a Old Navy commercial.

I don't know how long I can look at Rand.

It gets worse on the second episode:
      Spoiler:

They really underline that everyone knows the oaths and limitations of the witches and how they are actually incapable of lying. Then the party meets "one of the best" witch hunters that tries to sniff out the witches, and has done so many times, again underlined. That great witch-hunter doesn't even ask a person he clearly suspects (and which is said aloud) once "oh, by the way, are you a witch?"

I really like how Arcane ended (it is the end, right?). They didnt even try to untangle anything. Just a big ol greek tragedy about family, madness and the futility of fate.
    Last edited by Lilalaunebör; November 20 2021 at 08:59:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Lore wise WoT world is apocalyptic future earth.

Watched the WoT episodes, honestly if i hadnt read any books i would think it's okay C tier TV.

Rosamund Pike is completely wasted on that wooden exposition machine, and the FX of the "one power" are dogshit, but overall they are doing okay with what they were given. The biggest question i have is "where the fuck did all that production budget go?". They are certainly not spending it on decent actors.

If you put a grey filter over a Xena episode, it wouldnt look much different.

Listen, I'm going to tell you straight. It doesn't matter if you don't know any League of Legends lore. It doesn't matter if you hate Imagine Dragons with a white hot intensity. You need to watch Arcane on Netflix. You can thank me later.

I really like how Arcane ended (it is the end, right?). They didnt even try to untangle anything. Just a big ol greek tragedy about family, madness and the futility of fate.
    "it is the end, right?" oh please

‘Arcane’ Renewed For Season 2 By Netflix
    https://deadline.com/2021/11/arcane-...ix-1234878165/

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    "it is the end, right?" oh please

‘Arcane’ Renewed For Season 2 By Netflix
    https://deadline.com/2021/11/arcane-...ix-1234878165/
    Yeah, I was surprised by that. I thought they would've moved on to other LoL characters after wrapping up this season. But it does explain why they ended it that way.