hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 112 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1262102109110111112113114 LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 2274

Thread: WoW or Nost Was Right or something

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Now, what I've heard about the current build of Classic is that it's kicking people's asses. Fingers crossed for beta access ~
    I find the launch of Classic to be entirely hilarious. People's rose tinted glasses are straight-up portals to an alternate reality. We're not the same as we were 14-15 years ago and the world has changed (real world and the game world). Thing is it was all new back then and STV ganking and Silithus shenanigans were fun even when at the wrong end of a dagger because we didn't know them so well. Right now it would be like waking up in a nightmare groundhog's day.

But hey, ymmv, some people may actually enjoy this but I'm sure we'll never see 40 ppl raids happening. Way too much ADHD nowadays for that. Plus people would have to take time to organize stuff.

I think if they manage to fill one server they can call it a success (depending on how much dev time they've put into it though).
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

There's actually a decent number of people who did play when wow launched, have played on private servers for years, and are very hype about this. It's also been a beacon of positive interaction between the community and Blizzard, the staff have genuinely been listening to player concerns and feedback - they're even deploying a whole different version of their sharding tech to manage login queues but keep people playing together.

There are a number of streamers with enough regular viewers to fill an entire server on their own, and there are plenty of turbonerds still out there that will race to get server first Rag kills. I have no doubt that it will be popular at launch, ofc. the real test is how it holds up over time.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Ass ass ass.

Are the private classic people willing to fork over sub money? That shit adds up quickly, for an mmo game with 10+ year old mechanics.

Id say, probably 30k concurrent users if they are lucky, but noone knows i guess. It has no draw for me, i did the "level with wand auto attacks" back in the day and dont miss it.

Most of the aspects that were fun in vanilla came from the lack of perfect info people had and social aspects derived from that.

Now that people will know every little detail of everything and how to optimize it perfectly it's going to be an entirely different game and a lot are going to be severely disappointed lol.

The rose tinted glasses are hilarious.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    I'll be playing.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Most of the aspects that were fun in vanilla came from the lack of perfect info people had and social aspects derived from that.

Now that people will know every little detail of everything and how to optimize it perfectly it's going to be an entirely different game and a lot are going to be severely disappointed lol.

The rose tinted glasses are hilarious.
    Yeah, I fully expect the servers to be dead after a couple of months, once people realise stuff like perpetual dreamfoil or warlock shard farming was funny to talk about after the fact but not when you actually had to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    I'll be playing.
    Also this.

As much as I enjoyed vanilla, I've played from level 1 up through farming Naxx three times on private servers and the balance of vanilla absolutely sucks. It got better in TBC and WOTLK, and I've gotten my fill of vanilla.

I don't have the time or willpower to sit through vanilla grinding so I already know I'm not gonna play it

However I'm glad they are bringing it back. There should always have been an option to play on fresh progression servers for each expansion after they became old content. Archage does something like this iirc

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    As much as I enjoyed vanilla, I've played from level 1 up through farming Naxx three times on private servers and the balance of vanilla absolutely sucks. It got better in TBC and WOTLK, and I've gotten my fill of vanilla.
    Private servers have always had "best guess" values for almost everything you can think of, from respawn rates to boss resistances and armor values to mana/health regen amounts, even mob abilities. Since Blizz is working from their own internal 1.12 reference client and actual ancient server code, it plays very differently from any of the MANGoS private servers. I actually ran one of those in my house in college, they're fun, but they're nowhere near accurate.

One of the big draws for a lot of people isn't that the graphics are old or the mechanics are different. What's been missing from WoW for ages was a genuine sense of server community, starting with small things like cross realm battle groups, the random dungeon finder, and all the way up to today with every experience being instanced for the individual, LFR, and bg-wide auction houses. Classic might be a return to the bad old days of having to drink every other pull, but it's also a return to actually developing relationships on your server, faction pride, old school dungeon crawls, all the things that have been sacrificed that make playing modern WoW an essentially single player game. And hey, if that's the way you prefer to play, ain't nothing wrong with that. I'm still having fun with BFA, but I do miss the old ways too.

Ass ass ass.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Private servers have always had "best guess" values for almost everything you can think of, from respawn rates to boss resistances and armor values to mana/health regen amounts, even mob abilities. Since Blizz is working from their own internal 1.12 reference client and actual ancient server code, it plays very differently from any of the MANGoS private servers. I actually ran one of those in my house in college, they're fun, but they're nowhere near accurate.

One of the big draws for a lot of people isn't that the graphics are old or the mechanics are different. What's been missing from WoW for ages was a genuine sense of server community, starting with small things like cross realm battle groups, the random dungeon finder, and all the way up to today with every experience being instanced for the individual, LFR, and bg-wide auction houses. Classic might be a return to the bad old days of having to drink every other pull, but it's also a return to actually developing relationships on your server, faction pride, old school dungeon crawls, all the things that have been sacrificed that make playing modern WoW an essentially single player game. And hey, if that's the way you prefer to play, ain't nothing wrong with that. I'm still having fun with BFA, but I do miss the old ways too.
    Good post.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

And a lot of awful things that came with that that everyone seems to have forgotten.

"Genuine sense of server community" is just another word for drama queens and community politics bollocks everyone can do without.

The issues with modern wow would not be solved by a "genuine server community" they lie entirely in godawful game design at every step, and trying to recapture some ridiculous feeling we've had when we had teenagers with too much time is impossible.

I leveled a paladin at launch. Probably try Classic to see if it's was godawful as I remember.

WotLK was my high point. But I doubt that even if they had a version that was perpetually Wrath it would hold interest for long.

I played a feral druid in vanilla, arguably the worst class in game at the time. Joined a cool guild and had an awesome time exploring the world, lore and world pvp events organized spontaneously on my server. Some of the best of times I ever spent in a computer world... Until I reached lvl 60 and got into end game and srsbsns. Within a month the magic was gone.

It's not the game build, it's the people you played with and a point in time in your life that makes a memory of a game IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    It's not the game build, it's the people you played with and a point in time in your life that makes a memory of a game IMHO.
    ^

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

And a lot of awful things that came with that that everyone seems to have forgotten.

"Genuine sense of server community" is just another word for drama queens and community politics bollocks everyone can do without.

The issues with modern wow would not be solved by a "genuine server community" they lie entirely in godawful game design at every step, and trying to recapture some ridiculous feeling we've had when we had teenagers with too much time is impossible.
    Isyel in bittercunt nonshocker

Ass ass ass.

He is not wrong tho. The game has lost its mystery if it ever had any, everything is data mined, everything is ptr tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    He is not wrong tho. The game has lost its mystery if it ever had any, everything is data mined, everything is ptr tested.
    It makes me hope they do something different, maybe classic will spin off into its own version of WoW and they go a different direction with the past 15 years of experience. For example there's no reason every single expansion required 10 more levels and talents and revamps. Sometimes just new content is nice.

Well, from watching a bit of classic beta streams, it did make me nostalgic for the skill system and low level gear rewards being actually relevant. One streamer put it best tho, the player base is so much better at the game now, they expect everything to be streamlined. That means grinds are mandatory, weak specs never get picked up, and endgame content will be facerolled a month or two in.

Regarding building on classic, thats never going to happen. Then you only fragment the player base even more, and it would take a disproportionate effort on the dev side.

Mayyyyybe when classic servers are dead theyll roll out expansions as they were, but even that i doubt.

Its also a sign of a creatively exhausted company. Like, im actually moderately hyped for the WC3 remaster, but whats keeping them from working on an original fantasy RTS instead? Judging from the blizzcon fiasco, the answer is "we will only work on things that can be monetized in perpetuity", i.e. going ass-backwards to please the suits.

/rant

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    Knowing what the loot tables of all the bosses are is very different to actually being able to manage your rage as a low level prot warrior tanking a dungeon. If people who currently play retail and never played in classic try it out thinking that it's the same game, they're going to get their asses handed to them v. quickly. And you might know exactly where a quest NPC that you need to kill is located, but forming a group and talking to people so you can actually handle it are more important than every point in your talent tree being mathed out in a sim.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Well, from watching a bit of classic beta streams, it did make me nostalgic for the skill system and low level gear rewards being actually relevant. One streamer put it best tho, the player base is so much better at the game now, they expect everything to be streamlined.
    Not 100% sure what you mean here, is it that the turbonerds who do mythic raiding will have high expectations for people's specs and gear? Because the game itself being streamlined (I'm assuming this means homogenized so that everyone can be good at everything regardless of class and spec) doesn't have anything to do with the player base being "good" at the game. Arguably, the current player base is p. terrible at the game because it's become so much safer and easier for people to progress through over the years.

That means grinds are mandatory, weak specs never get picked up, and endgame content will be facerolled a month or two in.
    That's always been and always going to be the case for the tryhard guilds that rush the content, but that's not the majority of the players. And the interesting thing about the Classic schedule is that they're doing 6 phases of content release, so every couple of months there will be something added back into the game until they reach the "final" version with all the 1.12 content in it. Then, if it's been successful, they'll spin up new servers with TBC and let people transfer over, or keep their character on 1.12 forever. And if it's not successful, hey, at least we got the chance.
    Last edited by Ruri; May 19 2019 at 04:45:52 AM.

Ass ass ass.

Ah the joys of levelling in Duskwood and having to avoid Mor’Ladim and/or Stitches.

Also Benediction questline will be available again as well as hunter Rokh’delar (sp?) questline complete with them raging at people trying to help them kill the demons.

LFM UBRS must have key
    LF Hunter UBRS must be able to kite Draki
    If money was a chicken, would the chicken be evil?