hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 37444546474849 LastLast
Results 921 to 940 of 971

Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

  1. #921
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    4,821
    Trying to make joke about passive-aggressive Seattle people, and passive-aggressive goths, and passive-aggressive players of VtM. There might be some overlap between these groups.

    Also yes, Demolition Man was on to something.

    Bring on the Franchise Wars.

  2. #922

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    12,890
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Sure, I’m also planning on buying it.

    But I think this is another case where, like Bioshock, the ancap dystopia is glorified rather than subverted.
    Tbh I think the genre has been passed by the times. A modern and relevant take on cyberpunk would be far more regimented and it would be 90% passive-aggressive interactions.

    Demolition Man is basically what I'm thinking of with the modern culture of corporations
    Cyberpunk of the old sort is indeed old, plenty has been done in a similar spirit since tho but different

  3. #923
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    13,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Sure, I’m also planning on buying it.

    But I think this is going to be another case where, like Bioshock, the ancap dystopia is glorified rather than subverted.
    Mike Pondsmith is the writer and figurehead of the game world. He's up in your neck of the woods. He's a good thinker. The game has actually always done a great job at putting all the right social commentary right into the gameworld, down to how the corporations are structured, and even how corporates (and especially medias) play as a class in game.

    It's p much in the games DNA, tbh. I think the last few pages have been great sociopolitical psychodrama though.

    meh

  4. #924
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    4,821
    I’m stoked that Pondsmith is involved.

    But this is one of those lolpostmodernism problems. It doesn’t matter if the content is subversive if the audience doesn’t get the message, and instead goes “This is so coooooooool!!!!”

  5. #925
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    13,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    I’m stoked that Pondsmith is involved.

    But this is one of those lolpostmodernism problems. It doesn’t matter if the content is subversive if the audience doesn’t get the message, and instead goes “This is so coooooooool!!!!”
    You simply won't fix this. Just hang out with the audience who do.
    meh

  6. #926
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    4,821
    Well obviously I won’t fix it. It’s not fixable.

    And apparently I hang out with you lot, when it comes to games, so we’ll see what this thread looks like in six months.

  7. #927
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    13,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Well obviously I won’t fix it. It’s not fixable.

    And apparently I hang out with you lot, when it comes to games, so we’ll see what this thread looks like in six months.
    I'm sure we'll have denounced these Polish class traitors for the massive corporate lickspittles they are for having the temerity to not encapsulate the transhuman revolution aggressively enough.

    That counterrevolutionary Pondsmith, and his little dog, Silverhand, too.
    meh

  8. #928
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    4,821
    Can’t find it now, but I came across someone working on the game’s story/quests on twitter; his profile was full of anti capitalist agitprop and dude was wearing a Karl Marx T-shirt.

    We’ll see what the lot come up with.

  9. #929
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    31,318
    Here is your daily reminder of that Marx was spot on with his perception and predictions for capitalism. Let the moanings begin.

    http://www.cc.com/video-clips/snr0ra...-defective--gm
    http://www.cc.com/video-clips/li1grj...-to-washington

  10. #930
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    4,821
    The true measure of how “cyberpunk” Cyberpunk 2077 is will boil down to whether there’s a viable character path as a products-liability lawyer.

  11. #931

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    The true measure of how “cyberpunk” Cyberpunk 2077 is will boil down to whether there’s a viable character path as a products-liability lawyer.
    Friendly reminder that Shadowrun had 3000 year old dragon waifus before it was cool.

    The only measure of success will be if i can play with six cybernetic arms via flightstick and pedals.

  12. #932

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    12,890
    Also reminder that "cyberpunk" has also evolved somewhat since the 80s as technology and society found new ways of being potentially fucked up.

    It doesn't have to be a carbon copy of neuromancer to be "cyberpunk". Unless you have a ridiculously narrow definition of what you expect.

    Sure you have your neuromancers but you also have your snow crashes, your ghost in the shells, your altered carbons etc. all taking aspects and exploring just how fucked society could be and it can go in a myriad ways.

    Idk I'm perfectly on board to see their modern take on it.
    Last edited by Isyel; September 12 2019 at 12:12:55 AM.

  13. #933
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    31,318
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lilalaunebör again.

  14. #934
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    2,778
    I mean I'll always love the genre, but I wouldn't say the commentary is that cutting or brave anymore.

  15. #935
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    4,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    The true measure of how “cyberpunk” Cyberpunk 2077 is will boil down to whether there’s a viable character path as a products-liability lawyer.
    Friendly reminder that Shadowrun had 3000 year old dragon waifus before it was cool.

    The only measure of success will be if i can play with six cybernetic arms via flightstick and pedals.
    TBF part of the fun of shadowrun was that non-combat PCs were totally viable within the game’s rules. No character classes, and you could invent any reasonable skill.

  16. #936
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    14,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    The true measure of how “cyberpunk” Cyberpunk 2077 is will boil down to whether there’s a viable character path as a products-liability lawyer.
    Friendly reminder that Shadowrun had 3000 year old dragon waifus before it was cool.

    The only measure of success will be if i can play with six cybernetic arms via flightstick and pedals.
    TBF part of the fun of shadowrun was that non-combat PCs were totally viable within the game’s rules. No character classes, and you could invent any reasonable skill.
    This. It's what appeals to me greatly. It's what The Dark Eye, Das Schwarze Auge, a German rpg did really well. For conventions I had a shepherd with barely any combat skills. But he could do things others couldn't.

    The current (5th, 6th just got released in English) edition of Shadowrun updated the way the Matrix (Internet) works and added wifi capabilities to everything. It took the Internet of things and went all in. Your clothes have wifi capability and will tell you when to wash them.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  17. #937
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    7,013
    Most of the recent cyberpunk / sci fi RPGs go this route.

    Generally they try to get the Hacker characters into the fight as well where they act as recon / buffers / debuffers or use 'terrain' to attack.

    Drones also make these sorts of characters have more of a direct combat role.

    Modiphius released an Infinity RPG that does this set in Corvus Belli's "Human Sphere" setting. It uses the same basic rules for combat as for cyber as for human influence, so it gives quite a strong non-combat focus. You could easily play a rewarding campaign that involves no actual combat.

    Oh - probably telling you all stuff you already know - the Cyberpunk RPG itself is about to drop, it's called Cyberpunk Red and is set between Cyberpunk 2020 and Cyberpunk 2077.

    https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp...e-release-date
    Last edited by Kai; September 12 2019 at 07:58:34 AM.

  18. #938
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    10,131
    Dang now I wanna find a shadowrun group

  19. #939
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    14,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Dang now I wanna find a shadowrun group
    I know that feeling.

    Mine imploded because I am not a super experienced shadowrun player and my last group made me their sole DM.

    I found a new Das Schwarze Auge group where the DM is not available this weekend, so we play some Shadowrun. And I don't have to DM! I'm so stoked.

    I made myself a rigger. It's going to be fun. Two of my drones are cleaning drones. They all got modified to carry some toys.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  20. #940
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    4,821
    My last Shadowrun character was a mage/rigger hybrid. Kept just enough essence to drive utility spells like levitate and invisibility, mixed with drones and smartguns.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •