hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 37444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

Trying to make joke about passive-aggressive Seattle people, and passive-aggressive goths, and passive-aggressive players of VtM. There might be some overlap between these groups.

Also yes, Demolition Man was on to something.

Bring on the Franchise Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Sure, I’m also planning on buying it.

But I think this is another case where, like Bioshock, the ancap dystopia is glorified rather than subverted.
    Tbh I think the genre has been passed by the times. A modern and relevant take on cyberpunk would be far more regimented and it would be 90% passive-aggressive interactions.

Demolition Man is basically what I'm thinking of with the modern culture of corporations
    Cyberpunk of the old sort is indeed old, plenty has been done in a similar spirit since tho but different

Sure, I’m also planning on buying it.

But I think this is going to be another case where, like Bioshock, the ancap dystopia is glorified rather than subverted.
    Mike Pondsmith is the writer and figurehead of the game world. He's up in your neck of the woods. He's a good thinker. The game has actually always done a great job at putting all the right social commentary right into the gameworld, down to how the corporations are structured, and even how corporates (and especially medias) play as a class in game.

It's p much in the games DNA, tbh. I think the last few pages have been great sociopolitical psychodrama though.

meh

I’m stoked that Pondsmith is involved.

But this is one of those lolpostmodernism problems. It doesn’t matter if the content is subversive if the audience doesn’t get the message, and instead goes “This is so coooooooool!!!!”

I’m stoked that Pondsmith is involved.

But this is one of those lolpostmodernism problems. It doesn’t matter if the content is subversive if the audience doesn’t get the message, and instead goes “This is so coooooooool!!!!”
    You simply won't fix this. Just hang out with the audience who do.
    meh

Well obviously I won’t fix it. It’s not fixable.

And apparently I hang out with you lot, when it comes to games, so we’ll see what this thread looks like in six months.

Well obviously I won’t fix it. It’s not fixable.

And apparently I hang out with you lot, when it comes to games, so we’ll see what this thread looks like in six months.
    I'm sure we'll have denounced these Polish class traitors for the massive corporate lickspittles they are for having the temerity to not encapsulate the transhuman revolution aggressively enough.

That counterrevolutionary Pondsmith, and his little dog, Silverhand, too.
    meh

Can’t find it now, but I came across someone working on the game’s story/quests on twitter; his profile was full of anti capitalist agitprop and dude was wearing a Karl Marx T-shirt.

We’ll see what the lot come up with.

Here is your daily reminder of that Marx was spot on with his perception and predictions for capitalism. Let the moanings begin.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/snr0ra...-defective--gm
    http://www.cc.com/video-clips/li1grj...-to-washington

The true measure of how “cyberpunk” Cyberpunk 2077 is will boil down to whether there’s a viable character path as a products-liability lawyer.

The true measure of how “cyberpunk” Cyberpunk 2077 is will boil down to whether there’s a viable character path as a products-liability lawyer.
    Friendly reminder that Shadowrun had 3000 year old dragon waifus before it was cool.

The only measure of success will be if i can play with six cybernetic arms via flightstick and pedals.

Also reminder that "cyberpunk" has also evolved somewhat since the 80s as technology and society found new ways of being potentially fucked up.

It doesn't have to be a carbon copy of neuromancer to be "cyberpunk". Unless you have a ridiculously narrow definition of what you expect.

Sure you have your neuromancers but you also have your snow crashes, your ghost in the shells, your altered carbons etc. all taking aspects and exploring just how fucked society could be and it can go in a myriad ways.

Idk I'm perfectly on board to see their modern take on it.
    Last edited by Isyel; September 12 2019 at 12:12:55 AM.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lilalaunebör again.

I mean I'll always love the genre, but I wouldn't say the commentary is that cutting or brave anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Friendly reminder that Shadowrun had 3000 year old dragon waifus before it was cool.

The only measure of success will be if i can play with six cybernetic arms via flightstick and pedals.
    TBF part of the fun of shadowrun was that non-combat PCs were totally viable within the game’s rules. No character classes, and you could invent any reasonable skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post

TBF part of the fun of shadowrun was that non-combat PCs were totally viable within the game’s rules. No character classes, and you could invent any reasonable skill.
    This. It's what appeals to me greatly. It's what The Dark Eye, Das Schwarze Auge, a German rpg did really well. For conventions I had a shepherd with barely any combat skills. But he could do things others couldn't.

The current (5th, 6th just got released in English) edition of Shadowrun updated the way the Matrix (Internet) works and added wifi capabilities to everything. It took the Internet of things and went all in. Your clothes have wifi capability and will tell you when to wash them.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Most of the recent cyberpunk / sci fi RPGs go this route.

Generally they try to get the Hacker characters into the fight as well where they act as recon / buffers / debuffers or use 'terrain' to attack.

Drones also make these sorts of characters have more of a direct combat role.

Modiphius released an Infinity RPG that does this set in Corvus Belli's "Human Sphere" setting. It uses the same basic rules for combat as for cyber as for human influence, so it gives quite a strong non-combat focus. You could easily play a rewarding campaign that involves no actual combat.

Oh - probably telling you all stuff you already know - the Cyberpunk RPG itself is about to drop, it's called Cyberpunk Red and is set between Cyberpunk 2020 and Cyberpunk 2077.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp...e-release-date
    Last edited by Kai; September 12 2019 at 07:58:34 AM.

Dang now I wanna find a shadowrun group

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Dang now I wanna find a shadowrun group
    I know that feeling.

Mine imploded because I am not a super experienced shadowrun player and my last group made me their sole DM.

I found a new Das Schwarze Auge group where the DM is not available this weekend, so we play some Shadowrun. And I don't have to DM! I'm so stoked.

I made myself a rigger. It's going to be fun. Two of my drones are cleaning drones. They all got modified to carry some toys.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

My last Shadowrun character was a mage/rigger hybrid. Kept just enough essence to drive utility spells like levitate and invisibility, mixed with drones and smartguns.