hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed NY law ends all forums & anonymous commenting sections (Obligatory lolus)

Proposed NY law ends all forums & anonymous commenting sections (Obligatory lolus)

Jesus fuck, what the hell is wrong with our legislators?
    Direct quotes from the proposed bills:

BILL NO A08688 SAME AS Same as S 6779SPONSOR Murray (MS)COSPNSR Boyle, Graf, Montesano, Tenney, Conte, Duprey, Johns, Finch, Calhoun, Curran, Corwin, Saladino, McDonough, Hanna, Rabbitt, Ra, Jordan, Losquadro, Fitzpatrick, Palmesano, FriendMLTSPNSR Ceretto, Crouch, Latimer, Thiele, WeisenbergAdd S79-o, Civ Rts L: Provides that a web site administrator shall remove any comments posted upon request unless the poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post.
    Yes, that is right 27 sponsors to that bill.

BILL NO S06779 SAME AS Same as A 8688SPONSOR O'MARACOSPNSR MLTSPNSR Add S79-o, Civ Rts L: Provides that a web site administrator shall remove any comments posted upon request unless the poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post.
    Words just cannot explain the magnity of derp contained within the NY legislative body. /o\

Direct from the horse's mouth (aka sponsor)
    In addition to cracking down on cyber-bullying, the bill also prevents people from posting anonymous criticism of local businesses. Too often, rival businesses will post negative and false posts to hurt their competition. With more and more people turning to online reviews, it is important to ensure that the posted information, good or bad, is from actual customers and not rival competitors.
    And shit....he might as well throw something in this bill that would benefit himself right?
    Finally, the legislation will help cut down on the types of mean-spirited and baseless political attacks that add nothing to the real debate and merely seek to falsely tarnish the opponent’s reputation by using the anonymity of the Web. By removing these posts, this bill will help to ensure that there is more accurate information available to voters on their prospective candidates, giving them a better assessment of the candidates they have to choose from.
    All in the name of combating cyber bullying. I just don't know what to say, other than all citizens US or otherwise, need to be aware that this shit is popping up all over. /O\

Some relevent quotes from obviously much more intelligent humans:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    Hi.

I hear Canada is nice this time of year?

Because making up fake name and fake email address is so hard to do these days. This is one of the many reasons why politicians suck

Moderator Moderator F*** My Aunt Rita's Avatar
    Whereever particular mexicans congregate.
    Cliché liberty quotes, awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by F*** My Aunt Rita View Post
    Not cliche, timeless and still relevant.
    Hi.

Moderator Moderator F*** My Aunt Rita's Avatar
    Whereever particular mexicans congregate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aypse View Post
    You must sob like a retard everytime you hear "God Bless America".

lawls

Yours Truthfully,

~ Amanda Hugankiss

Donor
    Philo-Publius would be rolling in his grave.

Also, :lolrepublicans:
    meh

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Only one retard in this quote tree and for once its not Aypse.

edit: +1 infraction. HAST PROTOCOL ENGAGED
    Last edited by Lallante; May 24 2012 at 05:52:29 PM.

So we're going to have to outsource political harassment to india now? Anti-cyberbullying hahaha

Yes, I have teared up before.
    Hi.

I'm certain this law will be easy to enforce and won't waste valuable police time.

I'm sure these same politicians would be totally willing to end anonymous campaign donations amirite?

New York "Republicans" trying to control speech like dyed in the wool politically correct feel good leftists total non-shocker.

(I live in NY for the record, and Republicans here are comparable to democrats in California).

I can see the issue with businesses libeling rivals. That goes double for small businesses, where such statements could end in bankruptcy. I mean I guess that would be libel, yeah, and should be grounds for a civil suit? Problem is there's no way to ever prove anything, and this bill won't help that.

Every other stated purpose for this bill is just sick in its implication. Frankly I've never understood the "cyber-bullying" threat. If say, someone like Michelle Malkin who has a large and volatile following posts the home address of a kid who comes out in favor of a policy she doesn't like (she actually did do this), it's just straight up harassment. If someone does something to that house or family, Malkin is potentially criminally liable for inciting violence. That's not cyber-bullying, it's intimidation.

But kids starting rumors or trolling other kids via online sources? Same as doing it the old fashioned way IMO. I don't see the need for special legislation. But that's the real issue, isn't it? Personally I don't believe for a second that stopping cyber-bullying is the real goal. Bullying is a serious issue, and a hot topic right now, yes. But in my heart of hearts I have to assume that this type of bill is just flat-out aimed at internet censorship. What the printing press was to the authoritarians of yesteryear, the internet is to the authoritarians of today. Now they just can't have that, can they?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Magnum View Post
    Personally I don't believe for a second that stopping cyber-bullying is the real goal.
    And we have a winner!!

Quote Originally Posted by indeterminacy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Magnum View Post
    Personally I don't believe for a second that stopping cyber-bullying is the real goal.
    And we have a winner!!
    Now step up onto the stage and collect your trophy from captain obvious.
    i heard you're ideas and their definately good

Administrator Movember 2012 Don Pellegrino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    I'm certain this law will be easy to enforce and won't waste valuable police time.
    More like I'm certain this law will/would only be enforced in a totally arbitrary way and only when it's convenient.

I don't think Al Simmons is his real name so I'm going to formally request that you remove all his posts. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.