hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tales from a Bon Vivant - The Really Good Restaurants Thread

actually, maybe you guys can help me... Im looking to organise a dinner to celebrate my engagement - I'd like to have a private room for up to 25 people at a nice restaurant in centralish london. Ideally priced up to £50/head including some wine. Any recommendations? Im easy on the type of food as long as the restaurant is cool and the food good.

Thanks!

MrsFF and one of her close mates like to play what I call 'the Michelin Star Game', where each birthday they take each other to at least a 1* restaurant. Anyways, I digress...

Petrus (now: Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley Hotel)
    I went here back when it was Petrus (and only a 2*, but with Marcus at the helm). Absolutely loved it. Attentive staff, decent menu, and a frankly disturbing wine list (£50 > £15000). They even threw in a free desert with "Happy Anniversary" when they discovered that MrsFF and I were celebrating it.

Dinner
    Went there last year, found the food to be good (a lot of Heston's historical stuff that he's done in his xmas specials), but the service really was sub-par. Layout of the restaurant doesn't do itself any favours, IMHO it's too large to have a decent quality of service. The waiting staff are too awkward, hopefully they've gotten over this by now, but at the time they were not even deserving of 1*.

Fat Duck, anyone been? Worth it?
    Free Clamdong!

Quote Originally Posted by firefoxx80 View Post
    Fat Duck, anyone been? Worth it?
    Possibly in the first post. :P

I've been watching Marcus Wareing on Great British Menu for years and would love to go to one of his places. Prices at the Berkeley don't look that out of sight either.
    Domination.
    Vote Lark for CSM

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Did the Witchery in Edinburgh. Food was pretty decent - absolutely amazing decor and service though.

Moderator Moderator F*** My Aunt Rita's Avatar
    Whereever particular mexicans congregate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Did the Witchery in Edinburgh. Food was pretty decent - absolutely amazing decor and service though.
    You need to expand on this mate. What was the menu like? Any memorable dishes? Did you go a la carte or pre fixe?

Quote Originally Posted by F*** My Aunt Rita View Post
    You need to expand on this mate. What was the menu like? Any memorable dishes? Did you go a la carte or pre fixe?
    We went A la carte, got a table cancellation as it seems to get booked up fast (seems to be one of the top one or two in Edinburgh). The menu was sort of "exotic vs rustic" - I had red deer in a chocolate sauce with wild garlic (exquisite combination). The gf had a scallop based dish which was literally the best scallops I've ever tasted.

The main selling point (though the food was excellent) was the decor though. Really, really atmospheric place.

Moderator Moderator F*** My Aunt Rita's Avatar
    Whereever particular mexicans congregate.
    Did you get any pictures of the place lall? Did the decor follow the menu ennui, exotic vs rustic: $300 floral arrangements with sawdust on the floor?

I'm always fearful of chocolate used in a savory dish. Not saying it can't work but sometimes chefs go too far. But then there's mexican mole which is exquisite.

King of the Food Thread
    Spent last weekend sorting out hotels and restaurants for my trip to northern spain in may. Received last bookig confirmation today. Will get a chance to dine at:

Can`t wait to get there. Current status: super excited!

Will report back.

Forgot about this thread, done a lot of good eatin since!

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon - Incredible japanese-french fusion in soho, London. Great for a not-too-overpriced, intimate lunch and lots of interesting twists on french dishes (e.g. miso-based rattetouille to die for)

Alain Ducasse, Marlebone, London - 3 Michelin stars. This was a gift from work, so we had the black truffle menu which is so ridiculously expensive I could never justify it to myself if I was paying. Was as exciting and awesome as you would expect. Highlight for me was a fois-gras dumpling truffle-soup. Imagine a beautiful, hot black truffle broth giving way to an explosion of cold, melting fois-gras as you bite into the dumpling. Unbelievably rich and delicious.

Le Carlina - Belleplagne, France. Amazing prices for michelin starred food in a ski-resort no less (15 euros plat du jour!). Wonderful, rustic deliciousness.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Gillgamesh in camden
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Gillgamesh in camden

Took my partner there on our first ever date, was pleasantly surprised - interesting décor too.

er

errr

Bay of Bengal in Holsworthy is good Indian...

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Might as well chip in with something simple:

The Curry Manufaktur in Wiesbaden, Germany. It's most likely the place with the best currywurst in the old states of Germany.

Link

Melbourne: Sung's Kitchen. Discovered on my first trip to PAX, pretty much bullied my friends to go there again when we returned a year later for the next PAX. Affordable but absolutely top-notch eating. Decor is warm & traditional, service was excellent and the twice-cooked pork is ambrosia.

If you're ever visiting Australiastan you're more than likely going to either Melbourne or Sydney and if it's Melbourne then you'll have plenty of excellent eateries to sample but this is one you should make an effort to drop into.

Ask me about midgets Donor Mendolorian Girl's Avatar
    gonna sound like a right chav here, but v0v.

Went to Rio Ferdinand's restaurant in Manchester for my stag do, food was really nice, atmosphere nice but very busy, service was ok (waiter told us they don't get the tips, so he removed the pre-added tip from the bill). Met Rio though, that was pretty cool, he was nice enough to let us interrupt him and have a picture.

Friend keeps pestering me to go to Northcote (Lancashire) as it's a favourite of his, but given it's location, it basically requires getting a room for the night, which pushes the price up to silly levels.
    i·ro·ny1
    ˈīrənē/

noun

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Just goes to show how lowbrow the tastes of the British public are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Melbourne: Sung's Kitchen. Discovered on my first trip to PAX, pretty much bullied my friends to go there again when we returned a year later for the next PAX. Affordable but absolutely top-notch eating. Decor is warm & traditional, service was excellent and the twice-cooked pork is ambrosia.

If you're ever visiting Australiastan you're more than likely going to either Melbourne or Sydney and if it's Melbourne then you'll have plenty of excellent eateries to sample but this is one you should make an effort to drop into.
    Mmm, PAX eateries. This one is my favorite for the annual PAX prime trip up to Seattle. Glorious rustic French food.

http://lepichetseattle.com/home/
    meh

King of the Food Thread

Alain Ducasse, Marlebone, London - 3 Michelin stars. This was a gift from work, so we had the black truffle menu which is so ridiculously expensive I could never justify it to myself if I was paying. Was as exciting and awesome as you would expect. Highlight for me was a fois-gras dumpling truffle-soup. Imagine a beautiful, hot black truffle broth giving way to an explosion of cold, melting fois-gras as you bite into the dumpling. Unbelievably rich and delicious.
    Sound pretty awesome. Damn nice gift as well. I have to admit though that if I could choose I would never dine in one of these "chain" michelin star restaurants. Don't get me wrong, Ducasse is the man, but it would lack the touch of genius for me. I am well aware that this bullshit on a rational level, but enjoying food isn' t a rational thing either. I can understand running different sorts of operations, but spawning 2-3 star restaurants with in parts identical dishes ....

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendolorian Girl View Post

Went to Rio Ferdinand's restaurant in Manchester for my stag do, food was really nice, atmosphere nice but very busy, service was ok (waiter told us they don't get the tips, so he removed the pre-added tip from the bill). Met Rio though, that was pretty cool, he was nice enough to let us interrupt him and have a picture.

Friend keeps pestering me to go to Northcote (Lancashire) as it's a favourite of his, but given it's location, it basically requires getting a room for the night, which pushes the price up to silly levels.
    rosso's? yeah it's nice. full of girls chasing footballers though

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post

So just look mildly athletic and pretend you're good at footie.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post

So just look mildly athletic and pretend you're good at footie.
    im messi irl

(lol no)

san carlo is another good italian in mcr