hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 53 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: elder scrolls MMO announced

elder scrolls MMO announced

Elder Scrolls Online has just been announced, to the pretend shock of people who definitely didn’t already know that was happening. It’s being made by Zenimax Online Studios, the studio founded by Bethesda’s parent company to develop massively multiplayer games. There have been a lot of rumours that Elder Scrolls Online was going to be their first game, but this is the first time we’ve heard anything concrete. This will also be the first time the Elder Scrolls universe has been the setting for anything other than a singleplayer game. We know very little about it so far. Will there be long queues to enter instanced oblivion gates? Will the crafting system rely on every player stuffing hundreds of lettuces and calipers in their pockets? Game Informer are trickling out the details in the coming days and weeks, and we’re bound to find out much more in the run up to E3.
    Given how many hours Skyrim was played for on Steam during its launch month, it seems like Elder Scrolls Online stands a good chance of destroying all of our lives. If you’re one of the many who aren’t yet done venturing through Skyrim though, try out our best Skyrim mods story.
    Are you excited at the chance to play a Skyrim-style game with your friends, or would you rather venture through Bethesda’s worlds on your own?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/03/el...rld-of-skyrim/

thoughts?
    need me?, contact me on IRC or via PM

Expecting a lot of hype but probably a pretty mediocre game at the end of it tbh.

They'll probably fuck it up somehow, I love TES to death and beyond, but their way of doing games is not compatible with MMOs, I hope it won't be as bad as SW:TOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampoliros View Post
    Expecting a lot of hype but probably a pretty mediocre game at the end of it tbh.

Expect the worst, hope for the best.

Could be fun, though it could be 10 years from now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post

Yeah no gonna suck 99/100 chance.

Totally unsurprised by this announcement.

If Skyrim is anything to go by it will be rushed out in two years, built on an engine made of spit and duct tape, look like it was made in 2007 and be half broken and badly coded. Only there wont be any modders to save it because it'll be an MMO.

As an addition, I am saddened that single-player gaming is no longer considered worth bothering in the RPG Realm. I love me some MMO action, but there is still a place for games where I play alone, with nobody else, because you know when I play alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by spasm View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spasm View Post

A.k.a. oldmanbob

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    As an addition, I am saddened that single-player gaming is no longer considered worth bothering in the RPG Realm. I love me some MMO action, but there is still a place for games where I play alone, with nobody else, because you know when I play alone, I prefer to be by myself.
    there was this title (elder scrolls: skyrim) that came out fairly recently which happened to be a single-player RPG!

i get what you mean though

Movember 2012
    Only if there will be a console accessible to anyone to fix the mandatory broken quests.

Movember 2012
    Only if there will be a console accessible to anyone to fix the mandatory broken quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    Expect the worst, hope for the best.

Could be fun, though it could be 10 years from now.
    it's evidently scheduled for 2013, been in development since probably 2007

positives i'm looking at are that its headed by matt firor of DAoC fame, and appears to be trying to use the DAoC format (3 realm open world? PvP combat set in Cyrodiil, probably with the other provinces as home territories)

negatives is that it will inevitably be a mindless pillaging of everything you knew and loved about TES. I'm guessing they've already thrown out crime and stealing, there'll be no friendly fire or manual aim, and everything will be action bars and rotations and purple gear of awesome++.

So ends the charm of the elder scrolls series, I thought it was getting better with the release of Skyrim after the abysmal shitsludge that was Oblivion. It was almost possible that they could return to the glory of Morrowind and Daggerfall but now they'll just kill the series with a shitty MMO that no-one will play. I thought people had learned by now that MMOs are incredibly risky and almost never get off the ground after the failure of TOR. what a shit idea. So bitter right now

maybe it'll be totally awesome, what mortal online should have been.

but yeah i can't see this going well, and will maintain this outlook to protect myself.

Unless there is open world PvP with real death penalties and rewards (loose / loot everything) I'm not interested.
    Last edited by Nooby; May 3 2012 at 06:16:11 PM.

Will take them until 2050 to balance Sneaking.

Take Skyrim
    Allow multiple people to connect to the same world
    Balance some stuff
    Add some kind of PVP based around capturing forts and stuff.
    Change nothing else
    Profit?