hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 213 of 213 FirstFirst ... 113163203210211212213
Results 4,241 to 4,248 of 4248

Thread: I suck at job interviews/I hate my job and everyone sucks[MEGATHREAD?]

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post

This actually sounds really shitty and I’m sorry to hear it. You’re just trying to improve your situation.
    That is verboten. Back to work proletariat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    What are job opportunities like in your area?
    Pretty good, actually. Minnesota has lots of opportunities in health care, med-tech and other fields. But most of the job listings I see have "Senior", "Lead", "Principal" in the title. The ones I'm qualified for pay less than I'm making now.

I'm thinking I should get a part-time IT internship to pay for expenses, while focusing on school. But my connections are almost non-existent.
    Last edited by Nordstern; December 21 2018 at 12:01:45 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Oh, and it's too late to quit and sign up for health insurance. The exchanges just closed.
    This isn't how it works. You get a special elective period when you leave a job.

You also need to tell them you are quitting because of what your supervisor did.
    meh

moving to wellyfor a few jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

So I finished my software developer apprenticeship and I interviewed and got a role as a junior ruby dev.

I quite enjoy it. Building stuff is so satisfying, even though I do struggle sometimes with certain unintuitive tools and commands. Also got a decent amount of exposure to stuff like docker, terraform kubernetes and circle ci, so actually getting to do some fairly modern dev stuff too.

I have an interesting choice ahead of me though. I can keep going on with the dev stuff or I can accept my role within the fast stream civil service grad programme, which I applied for and got this year. The grad programme means abandoning all my technical skills and going into project management. It's also a guaranteed promotion right away and it is also guaranteed that you end up as a fully fledged high grade manager after 3-4 years. To achieve something similar in my dev role would take a few more years of practising skills (there are several things I struggle to do on my own at the moment) while staying at the same pay grade, with the likelihood of leaving for somewhere else that actually pays well for technical roles.

It's a toughie, although I actually think I would like the project management job and I am inclined to take it and see what happens.

What do you enjoy more? Do that.

To me it seems that project management is more prone to becoming a nightmare than software development.

In development, you may get stupid decisions/requirements for your software project from your superiors, but the action of coding itself is still enjoyable. You can basically create your own very little success stories for yourself without depending on others, e.g. refine that confusing monster Switch clause with inline code into nicely trimmed down methods or something similar trivial, but achievable.

For project management OTOH, if not envisioned/implemented right aka "You get all the blame if the project fails, but none of the resources and responsibilities to make it a success", you're all dependent on others. If you are deprived of all resources and competence to make your own decisions, there aren't much little "victories" you can create for your own, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    For project management OTOH, if not envisioned/implemented right aka "You get all the blame if the project fails, but none of the resources and responsibilities to make it a success", you're all dependent on others. If you are deprived of all resources and competence to make your own decisions, there aren't much little "victories" you can create for your own, I guess.
    Seconding this. Very important to check what sort of PM work you'd be getting into, quite a few PM roles end up being the Official Scapegoat; all the responsibility for a project but none of the authority to make stuff happen.