hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 177 of 203 FirstFirst ... 77127167174175176177178179180187 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,540 of 4051

Thread: I suck at job interviews/I hate my job and everyone sucks[MEGATHREAD?]

Wondering if anyone has any links to "open source" contracts for independent software devs? Like a fill in the blanks and make a couple of modifications kind of thing? I'm not rich enough to get one done professionally, and I've got no idea how to write one out myself.

like what? like someone hires you to patch flaws in the linux kernel kind of deal? Or are you the one doing the hiring?
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    like what? like someone hires you to patch flaws in the linux kernel kind of deal? Or are you the one doing the hiring?
    Oh yeah, someone hires me to do some software for them (mainly app development). I have a rate, they need to pay it upon certain benchmarks/completion status etc. Until they pay, code belongs to me. That kind of thing.

E: Really theres 2 ways for me to work, flat day rate where I just go in and charge however many days they need me there (usually this is to just add capacity to their team), or project price where we negotiate a price for a full project before I go away and build it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    Oh yeah, someone hires me to do some software for them (mainly app development). I have a rate, they need to pay it upon certain benchmarks/completion status etc. Until they pay, code belongs to me. That kind of thing.

E: Really theres 2 ways for me to work, flat day rate where I just go in and charge however many days they need me there (usually this is to just add capacity to their team), or project price where we negotiate a price for a full project before I go away and build it.
    If you are very good at arguing value and very fast at producing high-quality work, the pay-per-project (value) model will be far superior.

You will, unfortunately, run into a lot of plodding corporate types who will not move out of their comfort zone and will insist on time (effort) based agreements.

As such you are going to need both, unless you want to piss away opportunities.

Also don't be surprised if your clients come up with the contract. Many large industries will have a generic template they will throw at you, with all the contractual pitfalls that entails. If you are struggling to write your own contracts, then you are probably going to want to use the services of an expert to check-over these client-provided contracts for gotchas. The shit I have seen.....

Edit: To be more precise, The shit my contract guy has saved me from......
    Last edited by Nicholai Pestot; May 15 2017 at 10:57:40 AM.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Wondering if anyone has any links to "open source" contracts for independent software devs? Like a fill in the blanks and make a couple of modifications kind of thing? I'm not rich enough to get one done professionally, and I've got no idea how to write one out myself.
    Open source? Nah. You can buy a template cheaply as long as you have the patience to review and amend it for relevance. Google "Consultancy Agreement template [country]"

Example: http://www.website-contracts.co.uk/c...agreement.html (no idea if any good).

edit: Actually, just realised I have access to a TONNE of template contracts of a high standard through work. Noir PM me your email addr and I'll send you a template. I can also answer any specific questions and check the changes you make to it.
    Last edited by Lallante; May 15 2017 at 11:24:24 AM.

In retrospect, yes, ask the lawyer.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

I knew being a member of this prestigious community would pay off one day!

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendolorian Girl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Yes.
    You should.
    If he had anything on you at all he would, having it formal before he does anything helps establish context for bullying complaints too, should he try later.
    Definitely. But a note on that complaint: rather than a laundry list of problems with him, limit it to your single best point - telling you he would fire you for referring people to their union rep. Because that is open and shut.
    Additionally, be specific about dates and times. Note any potential witnesses.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Being on a resume sending spree I've actually noted having unforeseen success with the one line presentation letter, "I'm a perfect fit for this, call me: (tel)".
    My solo pvp video: Yankunytjude... That attitude!
    Solo/small gang proposal: Ship Velocity Vectors

Maybe I should try that on tinder then.

Need a second opinion on something.

Went to a job interview yesterday. Felt like it went well. Ended with the interviewer asking how soon I could start ("immediately"), then saying they'd call me later once they'd worked out when to hold the new hire orientation. Nothing was signed, but impression I got was that I'd all but been hired.

Didn't hear anything yesterday, haven't heard anything so far today. It's currently a little before 3 o'clock.

I should call them and touch base, yeah? I didn't just get quietly dropped from consideration?

(Minor complication: I can't recall the name of the guy who interviewed me)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

I'd wait mate

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Yeah nevermind, they literally just called me.

talk about needy

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Oh, sorry.

I've been formally given and have accepted an offer of employment. Orientation is tomorrow. Company seems pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Oh, sorry.

I've been formally given and have accepted an offer of employment. Orientation is tomorrow. Company seems pretty cool.
    Neat, whatcha doin?

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    gigolo

Smuggo
    dog food taster