Thread: I suck at job interviews/I hate my job and everyone sucks[MEGATHREAD?]

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Gave my notice today.

New horizons beckon!
    What are your plans?
    Getting shitfaced

Then in the new year starting a role with a large renewable energy business in a non-legal management role.

Gave my notice today.

New horizons beckon!
    What are your plans?
    Getting shitfaced

Then in the new year starting a role with a large renewable energy business in a non-legal management role.
    Noice. Gl

Gave my notice today.

New horizons beckon!
    What are your plans?
    Getting shitfaced

Well done!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Gave my notice today.

New horizons beckon!
    What are your plans?
    Getting shitfaced

Gratz. You made it out the other end.
    meh

Gave my notice today.

New horizons beckon!
    What are your plans?
    Getting shitfaced

Oh wow congratulations. Getting shot of that city lawyer working environment has got to be a good thing

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Gave my notice today.

New horizons beckon!
    What are your plans?
    Getting shitfaced

Congrats m8
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Cheers guys. My colleagues* are telling me I'm mad to walk away from a clear route to Partnership (which I'm told I'd get in 18 months time).

Little do they know I'll be running the world by then.

*well, the 10% who can't conceive of any job but their own or any goal but partnership.

Congratulations. As non-legal manglement you are now fourth in line to go against the wall when the revolution comes.

(which I'm told I'd get in 18 months time)
    Isn't it always when you're leaving?

Yeah obvs, always a dangled carrot just over the horizon.

To be fair they told me that timeline at my last appraisal and I believe it is probably realistic if I committed to achieving it (there's a guy I work for retiring, and no-one else my level does his kind of work). I don't care. Partnership isnt something I want.

This is not a lateral move it's a promotion, but non-private practice typically pays ~33% less, and Renewables even less due to how sexy it is, so with the promotion that's about a wash - my pay is staying the same and benefits are going dramatically up despite my hours going down. My new pay/benefits combo is around what I'd make as a new non-equity partner here.

Statistically, this move probably hits my career earnings a little, though if I continue to get promotions every 2 years or so I wont see that in my pay cheques until the long term (6-10 years time). And by then I may well be C-suite in a global energy business, in which case all bets are off. Or even better, running my own successful Energy startup with PE backing.
    Last edited by Lallante; October 3 2017 at 10:46:23 AM.

Good effort Lall, sounds like a pretty exciting move! It's not all about the money
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is what will happen if I find it boring

Right now I have my own office so I can browse FHC and reddit between bits of work. New job is standard office cubicles without dividers.

Right now I have my own office so I can browse FHC and reddit between bits of work. New job is standard office cubicles without dividers.
    You browse fhc and Reddit on your phone then

There's a SFW mode...

Still based in London? Any changes to your commute?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

You're no longer billing by the hour

browse away.

Just do what I do, and go for a massive shit any time you feel like redditing. (grats and all that mate)

Minor work question - what time is too early to turn up for an interview?

I ask because I've been recruiting pretty heavily for the past month or so, and fully 50% or more of the candidates are turning up to the interview easily 20 minutes early - this irritates me, because it throws my schedule out, I don't want to keep the candidate waiting but at the same time I've got shit to do, yo. I've always thought ten minutes is on time, five minutes is fine, don't be any later than that, but 20 minutes or earlier is irritating.

Am I being a dick, or is this a thing?
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

i make a point of turning up 20-30 minutes early in case of traffic problems and such, just stick to the regular schedule and see if you can't provide a cup of coffee or something.

it's basically a indication that they are taking you seriously, by padding their potential travel time so that even if shit does go sour, it wont affect your planning.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

And they don't want to be late, so they take 2 - 3 busses earlier.
    Just tell them to wait because you have things to do. They will understand.

At least I would.
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Just do what I do, and go for a massive shit any time you feel like redditing. (grats and all that mate)

Minor work question - what time is too early to turn up for an interview?

I ask because I've been recruiting pretty heavily for the past month or so, and fully 50% or more of the candidates are turning up to the interview easily 20 minutes early - this irritates me, because it throws my schedule out, I don't want to keep the candidate waiting but at the same time I've got shit to do, yo. I've always thought ten minutes is on time, five minutes is fine, don't be any later than that, but 20 minutes or earlier is irritating.

Am I being a dick, or is this a thing?
    I kind of agree with you but it does depend on the context. If you're recruiting that heavily you should be trying to concentrate everything into a day and having a proper reception/holding area where people can hang around when they arrive early. It'll save your sanity.

That said physically turning up to anything 20 minutes early is just rude. Arrive at reception 10 minutes before. Any earlier? Go get a coffee and browse reddit until it's time.

Have you tried telling them not to arrive that early?

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    And they don't want to be late, so they take 2 - 3 busses earlier.
    Just tell them to wait because you have things to do. They will understand.

At least I would.
    This. Candidates will fully expect to wait, and it's a good sign.

Yeah, my rule has always been to get there 20-30 minutes early to scout the location and to give yourself some wiggle room regarding travel, and plan to announce yourself 10 minutes before the set interview time.

That's kinda the thing - I'm doing these interviews in waves, so blocks of six in a day usually (it's frontline retail stuff, the first stage interview is around 30 minutes), and someone turning up really early can throw it off. Last week I had a candidate turn up an hour early (whilst I was with the candidate two before them in the list) and then complain that I interviewed the next candidate before getting to them (I got to them dead on time).

As I say, very minor concern in the grand scheme of things, I just wanted to get a feel for what people's opinions on the matter are.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'