hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 171 of 173 FirstFirst ... 71121161168169170171172173 LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 3443

Thread: I suck at job interviews/I hate my job and everyone sucks[MEGATHREAD?]

  1. #3401

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    5,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
    I feel like most companies have shitty, pointless processes that just have too much inertia to try and change on your own.
    Shitty pointless processes are armour plating when you know how to leverage them correctly.
    Damn right they are. Bloody useful things at times, those shitty processes.

  2. #3402
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    11,648
    Didn't get that job, fuck all other jobs in the charitable sector going for people with my skillset. Guess I'll be serving drinks to make ends meet while I try and find some more clients.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  3. #3403
    Donor halbarad's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
    Back when I first entered the job market I expected all these big tech companies to be on the cutting edge with constantly improving business ideas and people. Instead it's held together with duct tape and blu tack, maintained by people who don't realise how ridiculous they are, and you wonder if you can bail before a proper 3rd party auditor comes in.
    It takes a decent manager who knows the benefits of some of the "new" technologies to make a difference, and even then you need to show how much of a benefit they are. I've worked with a few places recently who've had that sort of manager and paid us to come in and show off things like infrastructure as code (not a new concept really) before the teams under them bought in and started actually doing things more productively.

    Now I just need to fix our internal processes because we've got some really lazy devs who don't understand some basic things like feature branching in git (far too long using tfvc). Luckily I've got management support from multiple people so it shouldnt be too bad for most of them.

  4. #3404

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    4,675
    I am currently working at a place where the majority of staff proudly display their "CONGRATULATIONS ON 25+ YEARS OF SERVICE" certificates on their desks, in their cubicles, next to their little name plate, beside their 17" 4:3 monitor.

    Hellish.

  5. #3405
    Smuggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    25,190
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    I am currently working at a place where the majority of staff proudly display their "CONGRATULATIONS ON 25+ YEARS OF SERVICE" certificates on their desks, in their cubicles, next to their little name plate, beside their 17" 4:3 monitor.

    Hellish.
    Cubicles! I thought UK offices abolished those long ago.

  6. #3406

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    4,675
    There's an entire side of the building consisting of private offices for various Director of X roles, with actual names on plaques mounted on the door, each one with its own secretary sat outside and each secretary with her own (and they are all women) overly large desk covering the entire approach to the door, facing outwards.

    It's on the top floor and has its own bathroom, natch.

    Diabolical place.

  7. #3407
    Smuggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    25,190
    Are you sure you haven't traveled back in time?

  8. #3408
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    11,648
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    I am currently working at a place where the majority of staff proudly display their "CONGRATULATIONS ON 25+ YEARS OF SERVICE" certificates on their desks, in their cubicles, next to their little name plate, beside their 17" 4:3 monitor.

    Hellish.
    Christ, people are proud to have been office drones for 25 years? The indoctrination is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  9. #3409
    Sandzibar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,195
    Is good SQL knowledge worth anything anymore? trying to find quick ways to increase my value

  10. #3410
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    11,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Is good SQL knowledge worth anything anymore? trying to find quick ways to increase my value
    What's your current value?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  11. #3411
    Sandzibar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Is good SQL knowledge worth anything anymore? trying to find quick ways to increase my value
    What's your current value?
    Well its certainly not 70k a year like the rest of you cunts

  12. #3412

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    4,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Is good SQL knowledge worth anything anymore? trying to find quick ways to increase my value
    Yes, but to be fully realised needs to be fully contextualised with knowledge of the underlying platform and common data engineering practises.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Are you sure you haven't traveled back in time?
    Well, it is in Scotland.

  13. #3413
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    11,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Is good SQL knowledge worth anything anymore? trying to find quick ways to increase my value
    What's your current value?
    Well its certainly not 70k a year like the rest of you cunts
    Mate I'm lucky if I'm 7k a year

    I've seen SQL knowledge on a few job descriptions but the type of roles I look at usually have it as optional and mention they'll provide training if required.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  14. #3414

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    4,675
    C. Basic SQL for data retrieval is something that can be trained in 2-3 days and is an analyst-level skill, but it does make you much more marketable if you're doing a data-intensive role.

  15. #3415

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    2006
    Posts
    3,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Is good SQL knowledge worth anything anymore? trying to find quick ways to increase my value
    Re-iterating what others have said: It needs to be paired up with something else.

    PAAS stuff is shit hot at the moment, so if you can pick up experience/knowledge around hosting native cloud databases then you could probably increase your value by a fair bit.

  16. #3416
    Sandzibar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,195
    K cheers for input.

  17. #3417
    מלך יהודים Zeekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,075
    Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
    Back when I first entered the job market I expected all these big tech companies to be on the cutting edge with constantly improving business ideas and people. Instead it's held together with duct tape and blu tack, maintained by people who don't realise how ridiculous they are, and you wonder if you can bail before a proper 3rd party auditor comes in.
    It takes a decent manager who knows the benefits of some of the "new" technologies to make a difference, and even then you need to show how much of a benefit they are. I've worked with a few places recently who've had that sort of manager and paid us to come in and show off things like infrastructure as code (not a new concept really) before the teams under them bought in and started actually doing things more productively.

    Now I just need to fix our internal processes because we've got some really lazy devs who don't understand some basic things like feature branching in git (far too long using tfvc). Luckily I've got management support from multiple people so it shouldnt be too bad for most of them.
    My company (sized at around 30k + and its an international company) is still using lotus notes. Just saying.


    

  18. #3418

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    4,675
    Anyone still using Lotus deserves to go bankrupt.

  19. #3419
    מלך יהודים Zeekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,075
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Anyone still using Lotus deserves to go bankrupt.
    our sales and profit are growing faster than the market. go figure.


    

  20. #3420
    Donor Sponk's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    AU TZ
    Posts
    11,259
    Am doing AWS after many years in the wilderness. FeelsGoodMan.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

    "You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •