hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 168 of 204 FirstFirst ... 68118158165166167168169170171178 ... LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,360 of 4074

Thread: I suck at job interviews/I hate my job and everyone sucks[MEGATHREAD?]

  1. #3341
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    17,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Potentially interesting opportunity for me today. Chatting to our top sales guy and the guy who originally founded one of our magazines (he has left and returned to us a couple of years ago) and they are thinking of proposing a buyout of the two London-based mags from the company. After a couple of years of investment the company seems to be in as much disarray as ever and they pay very little mind to the publishing business right now so I think it would honestly be good for the brands and allow us to be more agile and focus on some digital and events activities we've been building up over the past year or so. The brands are still very profitable, but their revenue has struggled of late largely due to inertia from senior management prevent us investing where we need to.

    Anyway, I think it would be good, said I'm interested and potentially could invest either by remortgaging the house or getting a loan from my father-in-law. Will see how things go but could be exciting times ahead.
    Sound p. capitalist, comrade

  2. #3342
    Smuggo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Potentially interesting opportunity for me today. Chatting to our top sales guy and the guy who originally founded one of our magazines (he has left and returned to us a couple of years ago) and they are thinking of proposing a buyout of the two London-based mags from the company. After a couple of years of investment the company seems to be in as much disarray as ever and they pay very little mind to the publishing business right now so I think it would honestly be good for the brands and allow us to be more agile and focus on some digital and events activities we've been building up over the past year or so. The brands are still very profitable, but their revenue has struggled of late largely due to inertia from senior management prevent us investing where we need to.

    Anyway, I think it would be good, said I'm interested and potentially could invest either by remortgaging the house or getting a loan from my father-in-law. Will see how things go but could be exciting times ahead.
    Sound p. capitalist, comrade
    Less capitalist than being owned by a private equity fund comrade.

  3. #3343
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    17,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Potentially interesting opportunity for me today. Chatting to our top sales guy and the guy who originally founded one of our magazines (he has left and returned to us a couple of years ago) and they are thinking of proposing a buyout of the two London-based mags from the company. After a couple of years of investment the company seems to be in as much disarray as ever and they pay very little mind to the publishing business right now so I think it would honestly be good for the brands and allow us to be more agile and focus on some digital and events activities we've been building up over the past year or so. The brands are still very profitable, but their revenue has struggled of late largely due to inertia from senior management prevent us investing where we need to.

    Anyway, I think it would be good, said I'm interested and potentially could invest either by remortgaging the house or getting a loan from my father-in-law. Will see how things go but could be exciting times ahead.
    Sound p. capitalist, comrade
    Less capitalist than being owned by a private equity fund comrade.
    Being a worker is inherently less capitalist than owning the means of production comrade.

  4. #3344
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    14,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Potentially interesting opportunity for me today. Chatting to our top sales guy and the guy who originally founded one of our magazines (he has left and returned to us a couple of years ago) and they are thinking of proposing a buyout of the two London-based mags from the company. After a couple of years of investment the company seems to be in as much disarray as ever and they pay very little mind to the publishing business right now so I think it would honestly be good for the brands and allow us to be more agile and focus on some digital and events activities we've been building up over the past year or so. The brands are still very profitable, but their revenue has struggled of late largely due to inertia from senior management prevent us investing where we need to.

    Anyway, I think it would be good, said I'm interested and potentially could invest either by remortgaging the house or getting a loan from my father-in-law. Will see how things go but could be exciting times ahead.
    Sound p. capitalist, comrade
    Less capitalist than being owned by a private equity fund comrade.
    Being a worker is inherently less capitalist than owning the means of production comrade.

    And then perhaps this misery of class-prejudice will fade away, and we of the sinking middle class … may sink without further struggles into the working class where we belong, and probably when we get there it will not be so dreadful as we feared, for, after all, we have nothing to lose but our aitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  5. #3345
    Smuggo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Potentially interesting opportunity for me today. Chatting to our top sales guy and the guy who originally founded one of our magazines (he has left and returned to us a couple of years ago) and they are thinking of proposing a buyout of the two London-based mags from the company. After a couple of years of investment the company seems to be in as much disarray as ever and they pay very little mind to the publishing business right now so I think it would honestly be good for the brands and allow us to be more agile and focus on some digital and events activities we've been building up over the past year or so. The brands are still very profitable, but their revenue has struggled of late largely due to inertia from senior management prevent us investing where we need to.

    Anyway, I think it would be good, said I'm interested and potentially could invest either by remortgaging the house or getting a loan from my father-in-law. Will see how things go but could be exciting times ahead.
    Sound p. capitalist, comrade
    Less capitalist than being owned by a private equity fund comrade.
    Being a worker is inherently less capitalist than owning the means of production comrade.
    Again with the highly simplistic view.

    At the end of the day, the way the company treats the publishing business is bad for the brands and bad for the staff. They want to use it to market other data products but they don't seem to understand there isn't much match up in our audiences and their customers, or that it is damaging relationships with our former clients with whom we now compete.

    The publishing business has seen revenues slide but is doing much more with much less and thus is still highly profitable, especially when you strip out the costs of supporting bloated centralised services like our excessive number of accountants. I would much prefer that me and other people that actually care about it and have the relationships and the desire to do new things own it and give the people that work there a secure and hopefully prosperous future. Because right now, I see it being sold on to some horrible big publisher in the next couple of years that will just strip it down and make everyone jobless.

  6. #3346
    Ben Derindar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Derindar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Then I'll start looking towards New Zealand.
    Nice, what sort of thing are you looking to do down here?
    Doctoring

    Also chilling and not giving a fuck since life is way too hectic and unpredictable in the UK. Ideally I'd like to specialise in NZ directly, after passing the MRCP exams here, simply because I don't fancy moving around like a yoyo as they want me to.
    You'll have no problem with that over here. People are crying out for these sorts of services in the regions. A mid-sized town, not one of the bigger centres where the cost of living is a bit crazygonuts, but not so small that you'll end up having to drive or Skype to your patients.

    You might find MedRecruit interesting as far as placement options go when you get to that point. Good luck!
    Last edited by Ben Derindar; April 4 2017 at 07:43:34 PM.

  7. #3347
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    That doesn't mean shit mate. Either you know what to do or you don't. Experience obviously helps with the knowing what to do part, but there are plenty of people who have years of experience who clearly don't know what the fuck they are doing, so...

    Passion rules. Live that and you can't really go wrong. The rest can be learned. The question is, can you see yourself doing a great job? If so, the next step is convincing other of that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Plus I'm not allowed to use anything from previous agency employment in my portfolio so it's pretty unimpressive.
    Wat? I'm pretty sure that is illegal where I live. Even if it is a work for hire, you are still owed attribution. You should be able to use it to prove experience. If that isn't the case, I can see why you complain about the UK so much because that is kind of fucked up.

    What domain are you working in?
    It means shit to most people I've spoken to. Past few months has been providing quotes/work drafts to companies who just use to me as part of their tick box acquisition process before talking to a marketing agency who charges way over me and shoves an out of the box one size fits all content package in front of them.

    Past experience has been mainly with small software businesses and more recently tradesmen and a couple of fairly unambitious e-commerce sites.
    could you actually dm me some of your stuff? genuinely curious how you compare to some of the agencies we work with.

  8. #3348
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,268
    This Easter weekend at work convinced me to put my business plans into overdrive. Can't be bothered to put more soul in my day job. Sure, I'll get the qualifications I still need, but that's it.

    Now, to look for a team. Sure, this gon b ez


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

  9. #3349
    Corwyna's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Croatistan
    Posts
    3,241
    After a decade in a same company I went to job interview for a job I would really love to get. There will be one more round of talks after I submit some test and code examples, but I really have a bad feeling they weren't impressed My poor ego will never recover...
    Hiro Cor

  10. #3350
    Mallet Head Donor 56k Lagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    4,398
    Gang where do you draw the line. The company I work with now needs a lot of work to get everything in order. It looks like some people are kind of phoning it in and pretending things aren't as bad as they really are, must be to protect their own jobs. Now I'm finding myself tripping up over how poorl the maintenance and documentation is for our clients.

    Should I try put the work in to make the company better or do I just move on to something else? I think the director and some of my colleagues would appreciate the effort but I know for a fact that at least two people will feel threatened by me standing up and saying how much everything runs like shit (because these are the people who are in charge of it all). I'm probably in the most junior position in the company but I've worked in a similar company before where similar systems ran 100x smoother, I know what they're doing wrong but I don't want to risk rocking the boat too much by telling everyone what's up.

    Should I just not give a shit, say it like it is and then look for something else if they don't appreciate the sentiment and pull up their socks?

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

    phoneposting

  11. #3351
    Steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    9,252
    I'd speak up, but I'm a "speak truth to power" kind of idiot so it may not be the smartest/most pragmatic move. Then again when it all falls apart management is going to look for someone to blame; when that happens, wouldn't you like to be have archived emails showing you raised concerns but were overruled?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

  12. #3352
    Donor halbarad's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I'd speak up, but I'm a "speak truth to power" kind of idiot so it may not be the smartest/most pragmatic move. Then again when it all falls apart management is going to look for someone to blame; when that happens, wouldn't you like to be have archived emails showing you raised concerns but were overruled?
    Seconding this, especially the email bit. And forward emails to an external mailbox too just in case. Got to CYA and do it well in situations like this.

  13. #3353
    Frug's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13,242
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Gang where do you draw the line. The company I work with now needs a lot of work to get everything in order. It looks like some people are kind of phoning it in and pretending things aren't as bad as they really are, must be to protect their own jobs. Now I'm finding myself tripping up over how poorl the maintenance and documentation is for our clients.

    Should I try put the work in to make the company better or do I just move on to something else? I think the director and some of my colleagues would appreciate the effort but I know for a fact that at least two people will feel threatened by me standing up and saying how much everything runs like shit (because these are the people who are in charge of it all). I'm probably in the most junior position in the company but I've worked in a similar company before where similar systems ran 100x smoother, I know what they're doing wrong but I don't want to risk rocking the boat too much by telling everyone what's up.

    Should I just not give a shit, say it like it is and then look for something else if they don't appreciate the sentiment and pull up their socks?
    Man this is a tough spot. You're definitely not the first person to have that problem. Good bosses want people like you because it's the only way they can know what's going on to get stuff fixed, but when you're new you wanna keep your head down.

    Sending a carefully worded email to the right person up the hierarchy might come across weird if it's someone you can talk to in person about it? But then, if you don't trust them...

    Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

  14. #3354
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    17,637
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Gang where do you draw the line. The company I work with now needs a lot of work to get everything in order. It looks like some people are kind of phoning it in and pretending things aren't as bad as they really are, must be to protect their own jobs. Now I'm finding myself tripping up over how poorl the maintenance and documentation is for our clients.

    Should I try put the work in to make the company better or do I just move on to something else? I think the director and some of my colleagues would appreciate the effort but I know for a fact that at least two people will feel threatened by me standing up and saying how much everything runs like shit (because these are the people who are in charge of it all). I'm probably in the most junior position in the company but I've worked in a similar company before where similar systems ran 100x smoother, I know what they're doing wrong but I don't want to risk rocking the boat too much by telling everyone what's up.

    Should I just not give a shit, say it like it is and then look for something else if they don't appreciate the sentiment and pull up their socks?
    Personally I disagree with the others - your position is too junior to get any traction making these kinds of changes, unless you have a senior boss 100% in your corner. I'd move somewhere else you can do more without treading on toes (preferably in a more senior position)

  15. #3355
    Cortess's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15, 2011
    Posts
    4,909
    Couldn't you ask why they're doing things like how they're doing it? Afterall, you're a junior and want to learn ...

  16. #3356

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    5,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Personally I disagree with the others - your position is too junior to get any traction making these kinds of changes, unless you have a senior boss 100% in your corner. I'd move somewhere else you can do more without treading on toes (preferably in a more senior position)
    I'm inclined to agree. You're also junior enough that if/when it goes to shit it's not your fault and you get to waltz off into the sunset to your next gig, fully equipped with a suite of How Not To Do It answers for your interview questions.

    If you do want to fix things pick something manageable and JFDI, proving how your way improves things. It's rarely a good idea to try and tell people they're wrong as a junior - better to show them a better way and come around themselves.

    Also what Cortess said. See if they're aware of the failings first.

  17. #3357
    Mallet Head Donor 56k Lagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    4,398
    Thanks guys I'll tread lightly then and just point out a few obvious things and ask why they're set up that way. See if that drops enough of a hint

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

    phoneposting

  18. #3358
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    9,167
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Personally I disagree with the others - your position is too junior to get any traction making these kinds of changes, unless you have a senior boss 100% in your corner. I'd move somewhere else you can do more without treading on toes (preferably in a more senior position)
    I'm inclined to agree. You're also junior enough that if/when it goes to shit it's not your fault and you get to waltz off into the sunset to your next gig, fully equipped with a suite of How Not To Do It answers for your interview questions.

    If you do want to fix things pick something manageable and JFDI, proving how your way improves things. It's rarely a good idea to try and tell people they're wrong as a junior - better to show them a better way and come around themselves.

    Also what Cortess said. See if they're aware of the failings first.
    This is correct. You just have to play politics. Politics in this case, is delivering a win win for everyone, even the people not doing a great job. You are too lowly on the totem pole to have much influence this way unless you are fucking your director or something.

    As elmicker said, If you implement something with that just scopes something you are responsible for, you can probably get permission to do that with a "its something I learned at a previous job". If it works, make sure you can prove it works.
    meh

  19. #3359
    Donor halbarad's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,820
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    If it works, make sure you can prove it works.
    Management loves graphs and metrics, especially if they include time/money saved. Everyone else just likes an easier way to do their job.

  20. #3360

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    3,343
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Personally I disagree with the others - your position is too junior to get any traction making these kinds of changes, unless you have a senior boss 100% in your corner. I'd move somewhere else you can do more without treading on toes (preferably in a more senior position)
    I'm inclined to agree. You're also junior enough that if/when it goes to shit it's not your fault and you get to waltz off into the sunset to your next gig, fully equipped with a suite of How Not To Do It answers for your interview questions.

    If you do want to fix things pick something manageable and JFDI, proving how your way improves things. It's rarely a good idea to try and tell people they're wrong as a junior - better to show them a better way and come around themselves.

    Also what Cortess said. See if they're aware of the failings first.
    This is correct. You just have to play politics.
    Imagine a world for a second where office politics wouldn't matter and the necessary things could just be done/implemented.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •