hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 225 of 225 FirstFirst ... 125175215222223224225
Results 4,481 to 4,491 of 4491

Thread: I suck at job interviews/I hate my job and everyone sucks[MEGATHREAD?]

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Not sure if this is a thing elsewhere, but in Germany there's a trial period (typically 3 months) for about every new job you take. Within that period, both employee and employer may cancel the contract without the need to give a specfic reason.

While most of the time that plays in the hands of the employer, it's situations like yours that makes it also valuable for an employee. So maybe that is a possibility.
    I was thinking of that. My sister was in a similar situation. Started the safe job, quite when the better one came around and the three months weren't over yet.

Tapapapatalk
    Sort of did the same the last time I switched. Difference would be that I didnt know the second offer would come (but clearly it helped getting drunk with key people at VMworld). I was currently 3 or close to 4 months into the existing job but the new offer was way too good to pass and basically made for me (and brought me back up to my skill and payment level again). 8yrs later that awkward conversation with the boss that spent a decent chunk of money on me, telling her I was going to leave, doesnt feel that hard. And while she wasnt too happy she understood and kept it professional.

So, just do it! Keep it classy but do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Not sure if this is a thing elsewhere, but in Germany there's a trial period (typically 3 months) for about every new job you take. Within that period, both employee and employer may cancel the contract without the need to give a specfic reason.

While most of the time that plays in the hands of the employer, it's situations like yours that makes it also valuable for an employee. So maybe that is a possibility.
    I was thinking of that. My sister was in a similar situation. Started the safe job, quite when the better one came around and the three months weren't over yet.

Tapapapatalk
    Sort of did the same the last time I switched. Difference would be that I didnt know the second offer would come (but clearly it helped getting drunk with key people at VMworld). I was currently 3 or close to 4 months into the existing job but the new offer was way too good to pass and basically made for me (and brought me back up to my skill and payment level again). 8yrs later that awkward conversation with the boss that spent a decent chunk of money on me, telling her I was going to leave, doesnt feel that hard. And while she wasnt too happy she understood and kept it professional.

So, just do it! Keep it classy but do it.
    Noteworthy (and perhaps obvious) detail I omitted from my post, assuming its common knowledge: that trial period is ofc part of your actual contract, not some unwritten rule. So even if it's not a thing in your country, you might want to ask to have something similar included in yours.

It's typically known as a probationary period here, but it's mostly an employer sided benefit that lets them sack you if you are shit at your job in the first 6 months.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    I once hired someone who proceeded to quit the day before he was supposed to start, because he had a better offer somewhere else. Real dick move with a negative effect on our planning and causing us to have to restart recruiting again. But it wasn't something he wasn't allowed to do, so he was fully within his rights. And after the initial disappointment (and anger) I was glad he did it then rather than later. So dick move yes but there are much worse things you can do, such as flunking both offers and remaining unemployed.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    It's not a dick move. You don't owe your employer loyalty and should always look out for your own career interests first and foremost as no-one else will. Much less someone who isnt even your employer yet

Imagine the reverse scenario - an employer isnt going to throw away a massive advantage or profit just to be less impolite/inconvenient to you, some employee.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    It's not a dick move. You don't owe your employer loyalty and should always look out for your own career interests first and foremost as no-one else will. Much less someone who isnt even your employer yet

Imagine the reverse scenario - an employer isnt going to throw away a massive advantage or profit just to be less impolite/inconvenient to you, some employee.
    It may be reasonable, but is still impolite.
    Hiro Cor

fuck this Covid shutdown thing. It's doing things to my head.
    I've got a job at the moment. But I've spent so much time "working from home" or just not having a job during all this that my reaction to potential good news about a realy good job was "oh no!"

I should be excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    I've got a job at the moment. But I've spent so much time "working from home" or just not having a job during all this that my reaction to potential good news about a realy good job was "oh no!"

I should be excited.
    Consider the people that had no choice but to work shit jobs, or people with no prospect of working from home, slowly losing our minds due to boredom. You can entertain that idea for a little motivation out of your negative thoughts, or wallow in it lol. You've got a job, one you might really value it seems, worrying about it won't change what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post

It may be reasonable, but is still impolite.
    I can concede that. I will happily be impolite to a company (not even a person) I barely know if it means building a better life for my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post

I should be excited.
    Consider the people that had no choice but to work shit jobs, or people with no prospect of working from home, slowly losing our minds due to boredom. You can entertain that idea for a little motivation out of your negative thoughts, or wallow in it lol. You've got a job, one you might really value it seems, worrying about it won't change what it is.
    Loads of people who have never knowingly experienced depression are now trying to understand why they've been feeling so numb over the last year

Is... is this alienation?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.