hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 169 of 203 FirstFirst ... 69119159166167168169170171172179 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,380 of 4051

Thread: I suck at job interviews/I hate my job and everyone sucks[MEGATHREAD?]

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Personally I disagree with the others - your position is too junior to get any traction making these kinds of changes, unless you have a senior boss 100% in your corner. I'd move somewhere else you can do more without treading on toes (preferably in a more senior position)
    I'm inclined to agree. You're also junior enough that if/when it goes to shit it's not your fault and you get to waltz off into the sunset to your next gig, fully equipped with a suite of How Not To Do It answers for your interview questions.

If you do want to fix things pick something manageable and JFDI, proving how your way improves things. It's rarely a good idea to try and tell people they're wrong as a junior - better to show them a better way and come around themselves.

Also what Cortess said. See if they're aware of the failings first.
    This is correct. You just have to play politics.
    Imagine a world for a second where office politics wouldn't matter and the necessary things could just be done/implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Personally I disagree with the others - your position is too junior to get any traction making these kinds of changes, unless you have a senior boss 100% in your corner. I'd move somewhere else you can do more without treading on toes (preferably in a more senior position)
    I'm inclined to agree. You're also junior enough that if/when it goes to shit it's not your fault and you get to waltz off into the sunset to your next gig, fully equipped with a suite of How Not To Do It answers for your interview questions.

If you do want to fix things pick something manageable and JFDI, proving how your way improves things. It's rarely a good idea to try and tell people they're wrong as a junior - better to show them a better way and come around themselves.

Imagine a world for a second where office politics wouldn't matter and the necessary things could just be done/implemented.
    The system goes online August 4th, 1997. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

Skynet fights back.
    If money was a chicken, would the chicken be evil?

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

I agree with everyone else here, you need to fuck your boss.

tanks gang

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Waiting for a callback for a part time job with a charity I interviewed with last Thursday.

I never before realised how terrible I am with waiting for news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar

Office politics are an obligatory consequence of hierarchy in any meritocracy. Until omniscient AIs can decide job promotions, nothing else is possible.

Objecting to office politics rather than learning to play yourself (you can win without being a dick to anyone) is pissing into the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Waiting for a callback for a part time job with a charity I interviewed with last Thursday.

God I hate that feeling. Especially trying to sleep

God I hate that feeling. Especially trying to sleep
    I hate the vague "we'll contact you at the end of next week" the most. Makes focusing on anything else almost impossible.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

And then you start panicking and wondering if you've deleted or spam foldered an email, missed a call or whatever. Should you phone them (no no no) etc.

Got a bullshit ' have you been in a car accident' call at lunch as well. Drove me up the fucking wall.

I'm going to watch the cricket and hope it takes my mind off it.

Got a bullshit ' have you been in a car accident' call at lunch as well. Drove me up the fucking wall.

The least distracting sport in existence - the perfect setting for internal monologue to take flight. DONT DO IT!

The least distracting sport in existence - the perfect setting for internal monologue to take flight. DONT DO IT!
    It lets me distract myself with stats and averages while tinkering with my fantasy team

Office politics are an obligatory consequence of hierarchy in any meritocracy. Until omniscient AIs can decide job promotions, nothing else is possible.

Objecting to office politics rather than learning to play yourself (you can win without being a dick to anyone) is pissing into the wind.
    I decided to just not participate. I know my career is moving nowhere this way. vOv

I feel like most companies have shitty, pointless processes that just have too much inertia to try and change on your own.

Back when I first entered the job market I expected all these big tech companies to be on the cutting edge with constantly improving business ideas and people. Instead it's held together with duct tape and blu tack, maintained by people who don't realise how ridiculous they are, and you wonder if you can bail before a proper 3rd party auditor comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
    I feel like most companies have shitty, pointless processes that just have too much inertia to try and change on your own.
    Shitty pointless processes are armour plating when you know how to leverage them correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Shitty pointless processes are armour plating when you know how to leverage them correctly.
    Damn right they are. Bloody useful things at times, those shitty processes.

Didn't get that job, fuck all other jobs in the charitable sector going for people with my skillset. Guess I'll be serving drinks to make ends meet while I try and find some more clients.

Back when I first entered the job market I expected all these big tech companies to be on the cutting edge with constantly improving business ideas and people. Instead it's held together with duct tape and blu tack, maintained by people who don't realise how ridiculous they are, and you wonder if you can bail before a proper 3rd party auditor comes in.
    It takes a decent manager who knows the benefits of some of the "new" technologies to make a difference, and even then you need to show how much of a benefit they are. I've worked with a few places recently who've had that sort of manager and paid us to come in and show off things like infrastructure as code (not a new concept really) before the teams under them bought in and started actually doing things more productively.

Now I just need to fix our internal processes because we've got some really lazy devs who don't understand some basic things like feature branching in git (far too long using tfvc). Luckily I've got management support from multiple people so it shouldnt be too bad for most of them.

I am currently working at a place where the majority of staff proudly display their "CONGRATULATIONS ON 25+ YEARS OF SERVICE" certificates on their desks, in their cubicles, next to their little name plate, beside their 17" 4:3 monitor.

Hellish.