hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 171 of 198 FirstFirst ... 71121161168169170171172173174181 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 3959

Thread: I suck at job interviews/I hate my job and everyone sucks[MEGATHREAD?]

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
    Back when I first entered the job market I expected all these big tech companies to be on the cutting edge with constantly improving business ideas and people. Instead it's held together with duct tape and blu tack, maintained by people who don't realise how ridiculous they are, and you wonder if you can bail before a proper 3rd party auditor comes in.
    It takes a decent manager who knows the benefits of some of the "new" technologies to make a difference, and even then you need to show how much of a benefit they are. I've worked with a few places recently who've had that sort of manager and paid us to come in and show off things like infrastructure as code (not a new concept really) before the teams under them bought in and started actually doing things more productively.

Now I just need to fix our internal processes because we've got some really lazy devs who don't understand some basic things like feature branching in git (far too long using tfvc). Luckily I've got management support from multiple people so it shouldnt be too bad for most of them.

I am currently working at a place where the majority of staff proudly display their "CONGRATULATIONS ON 25+ YEARS OF SERVICE" certificates on their desks, in their cubicles, next to their little name plate, beside their 17" 4:3 monitor.

Hellish.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    I am currently working at a place where the majority of staff proudly display their "CONGRATULATIONS ON 25+ YEARS OF SERVICE" certificates on their desks, in their cubicles, next to their little name plate, beside their 17" 4:3 monitor.

Hellish.
    Cubicles! I thought UK offices abolished those long ago.

There's an entire side of the building consisting of private offices for various Director of X roles, with actual names on plaques mounted on the door, each one with its own secretary sat outside and each secretary with her own (and they are all women) overly large desk covering the entire approach to the door, facing outwards.

It's on the top floor and has its own bathroom, natch.

Diabolical place.

Are you sure you haven't traveled back in time?

Hellish.
    Christ, people are proud to have been office drones for 25 years? The indoctrination is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Is good SQL knowledge worth anything anymore? trying to find quick ways to increase my value

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Is good SQL knowledge worth anything anymore? trying to find quick ways to increase my value
    What's your current value?
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Well its certainly not 70k a year like the rest of you cunts

Yes, but to be fully realised needs to be fully contextualised with knowledge of the underlying platform and common data engineering practises.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Are you sure you haven't traveled back in time?
    Well, it is in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Well its certainly not 70k a year like the rest of you cunts
    Mate I'm lucky if I'm 7k a year

I've seen SQL knowledge on a few job descriptions but the type of roles I look at usually have it as optional and mention they'll provide training if required.

C. Basic SQL for data retrieval is something that can be trained in 2-3 days and is an analyst-level skill, but it does make you much more marketable if you're doing a data-intensive role.

Re-iterating what others have said: It needs to be paired up with something else.

PAAS stuff is shit hot at the moment, so if you can pick up experience/knowledge around hosting native cloud databases then you could probably increase your value by a fair bit.

K cheers for input.

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Back when I first entered the job market I expected all these big tech companies to be on the cutting edge with constantly improving business ideas and people. Instead it's held together with duct tape and blu tack, maintained by people who don't realise how ridiculous they are, and you wonder if you can bail before a proper 3rd party auditor comes in.
    It takes a decent manager who knows the benefits of some of the "new" technologies to make a difference, and even then you need to show how much of a benefit they are. I've worked with a few places recently who've had that sort of manager and paid us to come in and show off things like infrastructure as code (not a new concept really) before the teams under them bought in and started actually doing things more productively.

Now I just need to fix our internal processes because we've got some really lazy devs who don't understand some basic things like feature branching in git (far too long using tfvc). Luckily I've got management support from multiple people so it shouldnt be too bad for most of them.
    My company (sized at around 30k + and its an international company) is still using lotus notes. Just saying.

Anyone still using Lotus deserves to go bankrupt.

Anyone still using Lotus deserves to go bankrupt.
    our sales and profit are growing faster than the market. go figure.

Am doing AWS after many years in the wilderness. FeelsGoodMan.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

I'm still finding and cleaning up Access databases driving critical CRM platforms

I swear it's just this one guy leaving a trail of crazy access files with super dodgy VBA that scare the bejesus out of me. Oh and last week I found a txt file on a remote desktop he owned called "passwords" which contained... well, you probably don't have to guess. Let's just say there was a look of users named "admin"

I'm still finding and cleaning up Access databases driving critical CRM platforms

I swear it's just this one guy leaving a trail of crazy access files with super dodgy VBA that scare the bejesus out of me. Oh and last week I found a txt file on a remote desktop he owned called "passwords" which contained... well, you probably don't have to guess. Let's just say there was a look of users named "admin"
    I got sent some files recently for a client to help them migrate from chef to pure DSC. In the data files was a few domain admin accounts and keys for their azure storage accounts with more passwords and usernames. I had to carefully point out that this was there and that it was for their live environment, a pretty big product in the industry they work in (80% or so of the market)

People are terrible at password management.