hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 219 of 224 FirstFirst ... 119169209216217218219220221222 ... LastLast
Results 4,361 to 4,380 of 4470

Thread: I suck at job interviews/I hate my job and everyone sucks[MEGATHREAD?]

  1. #4361
    Shaikar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Kador
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Just got word that I'm layed off. Though technically still employed until end of February, I don't need to show up at work starting tomorrow. "Freigestellt" is the technical German term, don't know what the correct English translation is (released?).

    It didn't come as a surprise, considering the industry I'm in (tourism) has been hit hard by the pandemic. We were on short work since March, then declared insolvency at the end of August. There were talks with investors and luckily for those who benefit from it, one investor bought the majority of our shops. The staff of the HO though - of which I'm part off, has all been fired.

    Anyhow - will have to look for a new job, ofc. Something that I already did over the past couple of years, just that I had the luxury to cherry-pick the ones I applied to. It's a different situation now, of course. Given my age and the current economic climate due to COVID-19, let's see how this turns out...
    Sorry to hear that.

    Sounds like "garden leave"? You're still getting paid but not expected to turn up - you can spend the time gardening. (Or, you know, trying to find another job. )

    Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by cucaldvida View Post
    ...suck on the devices of the callow people...

  2. #4362
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    22,509
    Good luck Hel, I hope you have more luck than I'm currently having!
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  3. #4363
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,861
    Good luck Hel.

    Now here comes the plug, take a look at education. Math and IT are highly sought after subjects and allow a bit of cherry picking in terms of which schools you would work at. No need to work in the ghetto's of Frankfurt.

    Probably not what you're looking for, but they are definitely hiring, and February is the beginning of the next semester.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  4. #4364
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Portugal, laaaa
    Posts
    5,880
    hey have you thought about learning 2 code? (good luck m8)
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

  5. #4365
    Smegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2, 2012
    Posts
    1,152
    Not cool dude.

    Gl finding something else. The world always needs good engineers and trades people, if you are technically minded you can make a good life ... although there is an utter flood of bodgers in the UK.
    Shitting up eve for .... well, longer than most of you scumbags.

  6. #4366
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    22,509
    The best way to make a good life is siphoning money off productive enterprise as a middle man or financier. Being a useful member of society just means you get walked all over and sneered at. Work may make you free but it won't make you rich.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  7. #4367
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5,295
    That's the spirit!

  8. #4368
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    3,777
    Thats shit mate! Fingers crossed that you get something sorted asap!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  9. #4369

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    1,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Just got word that I'm layed off. Though technically still employed until end of February, I don't need to show up at work starting tomorrow. "Freigestellt" is the technical German term, don't know what the correct English translation is (released?).

    It didn't come as a surprise, considering the industry I'm in (tourism) has been hit hard by the pandemic. We were on short work since March, then declared insolvency at the end of August. There were talks with investors and luckily for those who benefit from it, one investor bought the majority of our shops. The staff of the HO though - of which I'm part off, has all been fired.

    Anyhow - will have to look for a new job, ofc. Something that I already did over the past couple of years, just that I had the luxury to cherry-pick the ones I applied to. It's a different situation now, of course. Given my age and the current economic climate due to COVID-19, let's see how this turns out...
    What is your profession, my company is EU based and looking for people.

  10. #4370

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    5,487
    Thanks a lot for all your kind wishes, folks. Much appretiated. As much as a shitfest FHC can be sometimes, it's situations like this that makes it still worthwhile visiting on a regular basis.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Now here comes the plug, take a look at education. Math and IT are highly sought after subjects and allow a bit of cherry picking in terms of which schools you would work at. No need to work in the ghetto's of Frankfurt.

    Probably not what you're looking for, but they are definitely hiring, and February is the beginning of the next semester.
    Good suggestion, much appreciated. Although I strongly consider switching industries (I don't see tourism recover anytime soon), education hasn't crossed my mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    What is your profession, my company is EU based and looking for people.
    I consider myself to be a programmer (that's what I love to do). But in practice, having spent my whole career in system administration (and support ... I hate it), with programming being my focus in our department, but not a full-time job, I'm the classical jack of all trades, master of nothing. I know a bit AD, Windows servers & workstations, Exchange, MS SQL, IIS, O365, VMWare. Recently I learned to enjoy Linux (Ubuntu server) due to me having set up a Gitlab server for myself (and started to look into its CI/CD features). I do the typical scripting stuff in Batch, VBScript and PowerShell. And I have being programming in all kinds of BASIC dialects since forever aka "the MS-DOS days" (QBasic, PowerBASIC, VB Classic, VB.NET).

    Everyone is looking for people, until they realize that I'm 50+. And perhaps I am too honest about my (lack of) skills. There have been quite some job ads that looked really interesting. But looking at the requirements, I thought that I didn't qualify. Intellectually I know those are overstated, but as honesty is one of my core traits, I feel like outright lying when applying to those. Yeah - stupid and irrational, but that's who and how I am.

  11. #4371

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    1,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Thanks a lot for all your kind wishes, folks. Much appretiated. As much as a shitfest FHC can be sometimes, it's situations like this that makes it still worthwhile visiting on a regular basis.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Now here comes the plug, take a look at education. Math and IT are highly sought after subjects and allow a bit of cherry picking in terms of which schools you would work at. No need to work in the ghetto's of Frankfurt.

    Probably not what you're looking for, but they are definitely hiring, and February is the beginning of the next semester.
    Good suggestion, much appreciated. Although I strongly consider switching industries (I don't see tourism recover anytime soon), education hasn't crossed my mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    What is your profession, my company is EU based and looking for people.
    I consider myself to be a programmer (that's what I love to do). But in practice, having spent my whole career in system administration (and support ... I hate it), with programming being my focus in our department, but not a full-time job, I'm the classical jack of all trades, master of nothing. I know a bit AD, Windows servers & workstations, Exchange, MS SQL, IIS, O365, VMWare. Recently I learned to enjoy Linux (Ubuntu server) due to me having set up a Gitlab server for myself (and started to look into its CI/CD features). I do the typical scripting stuff in Batch, VBScript and PowerShell. And I have being programming in all kinds of BASIC dialects since forever aka "the MS-DOS days" (QBasic, PowerBASIC, VB Classic, VB.NET).

    Everyone is looking for people, until they realize that I'm 50+. And perhaps I am too honest about my (lack of) skills. There have been quite some job ads that looked really interesting. But looking at the requirements, I thought that I didn't qualify. Intellectually I know those are overstated, but as honesty is one of my core traits, I feel like outright lying when applying to those. Yeah - stupid and irrational, but that's who and how I am.
    Whilst an admirable statement, you should really look after yourself. As much as I love working for the company that I work for I would leave if it wasnt a good place for me to support what I do at home/personal developent. I've sent you a PM with my companies hiring page, its EU based but maybe at your age you might not want to relocate.

  12. #4372
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Portugal, laaaa
    Posts
    5,880
    TIL Hel is 50+
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

  13. #4373
    מלך יהודים Zeekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    15,589
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    TIL Hel is 50+
    We have been shitting on each other around here for almost 10 years m8.


    

  14. #4374
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Portugal, laaaa
    Posts
    5,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    TIL Hel is 50+
    We have been shitting on each other around here for almost 10 years m8.
    More like 15
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

  15. #4375
    Pegging Specialist Donor indi's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

    Everyone is looking for people, until they realize that I'm 50+. And perhaps I am too honest about my (lack of) skills. There have been quite some job ads that looked really interesting. But looking at the requirements, I thought that I didn't qualify. Intellectually I know those are overstated, but as honesty is one of my core traits, I feel like outright lying when applying to those. Yeah - stupid and irrational, but that's who and how I am.
    Hel, I think you could benefit from a bit of coaching on the application/resume thing. Maybe it's enough to just spend some time on a discord server with some FHC"ers who are involved in the hiring process - it's not necessarily something grand. I hire new people regularly. The requirements are standard (organisation wide), so I don't deviate from those. Even though I may (hint number 1) sometimes have a different opinion. A large part of the requirements Ôs "I would be so happy if someone actually could do this, but I am prepared to work with the right candidate if they don't". I categorically do not want liars. I do like people who know what they can and can't do and who can tell me about their competencies. As in, will you pick up things quickly? Do you see the bigger picture? You get the drift.

    TLDR: don't lie, don't be afraid to sell yourself however. Practice with some mates. (I will have time off in a week and a half. I could be persuaded for a Discord session. I do not have a lot of experience in IT stuffz tho.)

  16. #4376
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    22,509
    You'll probably find as well that when you write down what you can do/have achieved it looks like more than you would think. Your own achievements often feel less significant to you than to others.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  17. #4377

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    5,487
    Quote Originally Posted by indi View Post
    Hel, I think you could benefit from a bit of coaching on the application/resume thing.
    You're spot on with the resume thing. I can't into "visuals". And if it were for me, I'd send my CV and resume in plain text. SO if any of you recruitment/hiring guys could point me to decent templates which you guys prefer to see, I'd be grateful. A Google search returns thousands of hits and ofc I don't know which ones are the better ones.

    I don't have any problems (other than saying the wrong thing) with actual interview, i.e. I don't suffer from being too nervous or something the like, if that is what you meant.

    I'm also not sure about the cultural differences in the hiring process, e.g. I seem to remember that the anglo-saxon CV is similar to, but slightly different than the German "Lebenslauf". So I'm not sure how this would all work out.

    TLDR: don't lie, don't be afraid to sell yourself however. Practice with some mates. (I will have time off in a week and a half. I could be persuaded for a Discord session. I do not have a lot of experience in IT stuffz tho.)
    Many thanks or the offer. I might come back to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    You'll probably find as well that when you write down what you can do/have achieved it looks like more than you would think. Your own achievements often feel less significant to you than to others.
    I've been through that (writing down) a while ago. TBH, I already have a problem with the term "achievement", which to me sounds like typical markting-speak BS. In my view, I've just done my work, nothing more, nothing less. That included lots of times coming up with and creating a solution for a new problem or improving an old solution. And if I recognized a real (or perceived) problem somewhere else, e.g. a dead link on our website, I pointed that out to the respective person/department.

    I didn't feel like "having achieved" something. I simply did my job and expect everyone to do the same as part of their job. Simple as that.

  18. #4378
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    22,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    You'll probably find as well that when you write down what you can do/have achieved it looks like more than you would think. Your own achievements often feel less significant to you than to others.
    I've been through that (writing down) a while ago. TBH, I already have a problem with the term "achievement", which to me sounds like typical markting-speak BS. In my view, I've just done my work, nothing more, nothing less. That included lots of times coming up with and creating a solution for a new problem or improving an old solution. And if I recognized a real (or perceived) problem somewhere else, e.g. a dead link on our website, I pointed that out to the respective person/department.

    I didn't feel like "having achieved" something. I simply did my job and expect everyone to do the same as part of their job. Simple as that.
    Yeah I feel the same way.

    I worked in a performance driven role so saw the development of the business as just doing my job. But when I actually wrote down "sales pipeline increased by x as a result of y" I saw that my contribution does mean something and you have something to offer that you need to sell to potential employers.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  19. #4379
    Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24, 2011
    Location
    Putting owls in your Moss
    Posts
    10,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Just got word that I'm layed off. Though technically still employed until end of February, I don't need to show up at work starting tomorrow. "Freigestellt" is the technical German term, don't know what the correct English translation is (released?).

    It didn't come as a surprise, considering the industry I'm in (tourism) has been hit hard by the pandemic. We were on short work since March, then declared insolvency at the end of August. There were talks with investors and luckily for those who benefit from it, one investor bought the majority of our shops. The staff of the HO though - of which I'm part off, has all been fired.

    Anyhow - will have to look for a new job, ofc. Something that I already did over the past couple of years, just that I had the luxury to cherry-pick the ones I applied to. It's a different situation now, of course. Given my age and the current economic climate due to COVID-19, let's see how this turns out...
    Haven't been paying tabs on all the threads on FHC lately and just read this, not good news and sorry to hear. Fingers crossed for you, hope it works out.

  20. #4380
    Pegging Specialist Donor indi's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I've been through that (writing down) a while ago. TBH, I already have a problem with the term "achievement", which to me sounds like typical markting-speak BS. In my view, I've just done my work, nothing more, nothing less. That included lots of times coming up with and creating a solution for a new problem or improving an old solution. And if I recognized a real (or perceived) problem somewhere else, e.g. a dead link on our website, I pointed that out to the respective person/department.

    I didn't feel like "having achieved" something. I simply did my job and expect everyone to do the same as part of their job. Simple as that.
    If what you described was in fact the norm and/or easy, this world would look different. No need to write it down as having been the equivalent of inventing the polio vaccine, but there's nothing wrong with writing about results.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •