hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 227 of 227 FirstFirst ... 127177217224225226227
Results 4,521 to 4,535 of 4535

Thread: I suck at job interviews/I hate my job and everyone sucks[MEGATHREAD?]

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Good luck Hel, hope it goes well!

I got an offer for Uni, just need to finish off a couple of open learn courses I'm doing and I'll be starting in September. Also time to start scouring second hand book shops for text books.
    Thx mate, much appretiated. To you as well!

It's about time to get a job again. I expected it to be diffcult obviously due to COVID, but also to a large extend due to my age. But this drags out longer than I envisioned.

I got an offer for Uni, just need to finish off a couple of open learn courses I'm doing and I'll be starting in September. Also time to start scouring second hand book shops for text books.
    Awesome! Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Thx mate, much appreciated. To you as well!

It's about time to get a job again. I expected it to be difficult obviously due to COVID, but also to a large extend due to my age. But this drags out longer than I envisioned.
    Viel Erfolg! Am Ende wird alles gut.

It sounds like a good place to work for.
    nevar forget

Good news. I just had my 3rd and final interview, which literally only was "We want you - let's talk contract conditions." Took us 15 minutes to come to an agreement, because the numbers wager worked out exactly as I envisioned it: ask for 2k EUR p.a. more than I wanted, let them negotiate me down. And that's still a pay raise from my previous job. So as of July 1st, I'm back in business again.

lad!

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Good news. I just had my 3rd and final interview, which literally only was "We want you - let's talk contract conditions." Took us 15 minutes to come to an agreement, because the numbers wager worked out exactly as I envisioned it: ask for 2k EUR p.a. more than I wanted, let them negotiate me down. And that's still a pay raise from my previous job. So as of July 1st, I'm back in business again.
    Awesome!
    nevar forget

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Great!

Once again into the breach. Due to extreme interpersonal conflict wanted to skip the current (forever) job already back in Feb of 2020. Covid interfered.

In the meantime new USAian management and their legions of Hindus who work 26hrs a day succeeded in destroying any semblance of planning and organization

And criteria for promotion are now vague corporate bullshit that I can either be already satisfying or not being able to in 10 years.

Now fully vaccinated and having acutely had a vacation... Let's do this. Update CV and LinkedIn, start clicking.

One month later... The pain, oh dear the pain. If they don't ask you to have working experience in every possible technology as full DevOps CI/CD everything... Then they will ask you do draw good old fashioned UML and choose patterns and strategies and defend and modify your approach during the interview.

I haven't seen or used UML since uni, I hear a (one of a very small set of) design pattern mentioned by an architect once in 6 months. I don't do JS nor any frontend, simply not in the team's job. Plain SQL, plain C# (every single framework we use is proprietary in house one), some Azure and REST API bits...

There is no amount of Udemy and Plural that can compensate obviously missing years of "real developer experience".

ABE books I found good for second hand course books, but the model most HEI's are moving to is online books.

Is this a UG or PGT course?

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post

ABE books I found good for second hand course books, but the model most HEI's are moving to is online books.

The course is undergraduate, allied health professional courses where there are shortages let me get a second undergraduate student loan.

I'm not a big fan of online books, I like to annotate and mark things like text books as I go.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post

The course is undergraduate, allied health professional courses where there are shortages let me get a second undergraduate student loan.

I'm not a big fan of online books, I like to annotate and mark things like text books as I go.
    Excellent, hope you enjoy the course.

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Once again into the breach. Due to extreme interpersonal conflict wanted to skip the current (forever) job already back in Feb of 2020. Covid interfered.

In the meantime new USAian management and their legions of Hindus who work 26hrs a day succeeded in destroying any semblance of planning and organization

And criteria for promotion are now vague corporate bullshit that I can either be already satisfying or not being able to in 10 years.

Now fully vaccinated and having acutely had a vacation... Let's do this. Update CV and LinkedIn, start clicking.

One month later... The pain, oh dear the pain. If they don't ask you to have working experience in every possible technology as full DevOps CI/CD everything... Then they will ask you do draw good old fashioned UML and choose patterns and strategies and defend and modify your approach during the interview.

I haven't seen or used UML since uni, I hear a (one of a very small set of) design pattern mentioned by an architect once in 6 months. I don't do JS nor any frontend, simply not in the team's job. Plain SQL, plain C# (every single framework we use is proprietary in house one), some Azure and REST API bits...

There is no amount of Udemy and Plural that can compensate obviously missing years of "real developer experience".
    Where are you based? Around here it is so hard to hire decent developers, you really should be able to get a job with one or two quick courses in popular frameworks. That being said if you have some experience with Azure that will be enough most of the time (seeing how "cloud native" is such a popular thing).

Wow interesting. Based on the number of people getting new jobs with higher pay, I thought it would be a hot market for someone of your background.

It is a hot market right now. He's complaining about the developer competency testing most places are doing.

My only words of advice are, not every place does this, although most of the larger tech places will. Smaller places that do it are honestly a red flag to me. If a small web development place is testing you to balance binary trees, they probably don't really have any idea why they are testing you for it.

Your background sounds fine for a .NET dev gig.

I will say if you don't know CI/CD, you should come up to speed on that, as it's more or less going to be the standard practice everywhere now (or the place wants it to be).
    meh

Nodding my head to other replies. And too add...I hate to say this because I know the almost universal hate for them but...if you havent already find a good recruiter firm.

A got a friend that does this, her process is very much targeted not the idiotic "must know everything from 20 years back and 5 years into the future", it will be for a role requiring specific skill(s) and personality.
    She also hates when they get a job to find someone and its basically "we want superman", she has rejected a fair few of those/asked to refine.
    But it swings both ways, the amount of entitled dev-cunts she has had to deal with is just mind blowing. Switched few top candidates to someone that may not have exactly same skill level but is a nice human being, unsurprisingly that has worked well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Belgrade based.

Recruiters, and even their foreign clients can be... strange. Me: "I haven't worked with X but I know of it and basic concepts". Them: "Great, here is a homework that 100% depends on you doing X well and being able to do it fast". Before COVID when I was talking to foreign recruiters it was worse on some aspects. Me, on first call "Just to let you know I don't have an EU passport or work permit". 5 calls and rounds of tests and interviews later , them: "oh dear, you don't have EU papers, I'm so sorry".

.NET is kinda shitty place to be in since they will either want you to know ASP and Entity (and soap, and windows forms, or whatever else shitty halfbaked idea to steal something good MS had over last 30 years) , or to be an Azure god.

Meh... I already have AZ-204 on todo list because all devs got it forced onto them so if I don't find anything in next couple of weeks I'm sitting still until that monster is slain. Fuck I wasn't even planning on starting to look for something until I have at least learned all that if not gotten the cert itself... but life in company has gotten so shitty over last year, and its getting worse.