hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Conflict - Open Beta, available on Steam - Space ships/WoT style

A russian game with less russian than a belorussian one?

I've only encountered Russians today.

This game is pretty fun tbh, just needs more newbie players because my last 3 matches were against 1 other player and bots. Bots attacking in frigates is really dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by dpidcoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Uh...turn battles?

Oh you mean dogfights. Yeah that's pretty much the stated intent of a dogfighting game.
    Dogfight != turn battle. With aircraft, it's actually interesting due to different performance characteristics (weight, turn rate, climb rate, engine power, altitude). e.g. if a zero had ever engaged a spitfire, the spitfire would have tried to outpower the thing in climbs and dives while the zero would try to out-turn it.

Unfortunately, most space games only keep the top speed (acceleration is fast enough it might as well be instant) and turn rate aspects of dogfighting, which boils the fight down to a contest to see who can hold their controls in the same position the longest.
    Did anyone else play Tachyon about 10 years back? That game had some interesting mechanics. You could disengage your gravity well thing wich would result in you continuing in the same direction at the same speed. All while you could turn your ship around. You know, like, real space physics. and when you turn it back on again you'd accelerate into airplane-like movements again.
    Made for some "different" manouvering in the pvp battles.

Looks good, going to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalif View Post
    Looks good, going to try it out.
    Played a handful of matches in beta months back, never went back again. But report back, I'd like to hear what other people think.

Don't even know if this is still in beta or out already.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

I'm liking the first part, more then I did mechwarrior online. Still need to figure it out everything a bit better, but definatly has some potential.

Waiting cues are a bit pain and you fight often also bots. But I can see this being a game where you need some decent skill, but I just started playing - might adjust my opinion later

I'm liking the first part, more then I did mechwarrior online. Still need to figure it out everything a bit better, but definatly has some potential.

Waiting cues are a bit pain and you fight often also bots. But I can see this being a game where you need some decent skill, but I just started playing - might adjust my opinion later
    When I tried it, it was half-empty matches either with bots, noobs or higher level people in cloaky ships.

Was shit.

There is one thing I really dislike atm about the game and that is the feedback system. I first need to buy something to check what it exactly does.

The more I play it, the more frustration it becomes. Game doesn't really make sense and there is no explanation. There is also no proper translation from russian to english. Game had potential, but didn't reached my expetations. WIll play a bit more, but I don't expect a diffrence

I actually hate this game, It is not fun in the most horrid way.

Try War Thunder instead.

Lots of players, highly intuitive and english translation is adequate.

I uninstalled the game, another game that is not worth to be called beta.
    You get dropped with extreme high skilled players with uber ships and you can't do shit.
    Experiance is just terrible.

2/10.

EDIT: Main post should be changed to state that this is a terrible game and everybody should avoid it at all cost.
    Last edited by Jalif; October 24 2012 at 07:17:47 PM.

I uninstalled the game, another game that is not worth to be called beta.
    You get dropped with extreme high skilled players with uber ships and you can't do shit.
    Experiance is just terrible.

2/10.

EDIT: Main post should be changed to state that this is a terrible game and everybody should avoid it at all cost.
    k thanks I was curious if my impression back thenwas correct or :toobitter:, but that was exactly what I thought.

I also though "we should add "game is shit don't play" to the title in case you reaffirmed my view before I opened it to see your new post.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Try War Thunder instead.

Lots of players, highly intuitive and english translation is adequate.
    This really.
    War Thunder is much more fun and if they pull of their goals and add naval and ground combat it will be brilliant.

While Star conflict has potential i don't see much progress here. War Thunder on the other hand is quite polished allready compared to this.

This game looks like Freelancer, I like.

Question to the people who have decided they don't like this game: Is it because the gameplay isn't as fun as you thought once you got over the "omg cool spaceships in space" factor, or is it just because the game is unpolished?

Quote Originally Posted by dpidcoe View Post
    Question to the people who have decided they don't like this game: Is it because the gameplay isn't as fun as you thought once you got over the "omg cool spaceships in space" factor, or is it just because the game is unpolished?
    Both...

Unpolished, because, well.... UI is shit and you can see what each module does until you buy it. Just a whole lot basic stuff that just doesn't work.

Gameplay isn't fun either...
    - Feedback system is pretty terrible, you need to be really really aware of your suroundings to be knowing whats happening exactly.
    - Enemy with cloak can disengage at any time without penalty (atleast on my level at that time), making it extremely unbalanced
    - Extreme unbalanced game matches, you get as a complete newbie and newbie ship against the most evil enemy ships sometimes. You can't even dent their shields a bit. This just results in ragequiting and waiting until your ships are out of battle.
    - Aimsystem/camara/movement combination is just plain terrible. If you encounter a high level player with a scout ship, they can go sooooooo freaking fast around you and outrun all your guns and missles. Basicly you are sitting ducks. The speed is even so fast that you can't manual track it with your mouse (next to impossible unless you are super human). They spin so fast around your ship that you will get dizzy by spinning your camara. Good example of this having the old eve nano age where a interceptor could orbit you with 20km/s in 10km radius, now multiply the speed that with 2x + you need to manually track it.
    - 75% of the game is just pure bots. I don't mind a bot or 3 to fill up the team to the full, but I had a game of 10vs10, which only had 1 real player on each side.

The game looks is great, and it had great potential, but they scewed it up very very badly.

Yeah I'd been banging on about the UI and overlay and camera(and control) issues basically non-stop since I first got into the closed beta. Seems they didn't think it was an issue. Ditto the other mechanics issues that were pointed out from the beginning.

My earlier optimism was coloured by the expectation that the game would be polished and have at least a few issues addressed by release. Oh well. Another F2P game to be discarded and forgotten.
    Last edited by Steph; October 26 2012 at 09:29:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Everything above and I'm not too keen on the business model either.

Grindfest in an unbalanced, buggy and unintuitive environment is just not what I'm interested in.

Tbh, if it was polished and well done... then this would be the -perfect- game for me.
    Now if we had a FHC development team who could create a proper game.