hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 247 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Finally finished Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy (+/- 3300 pages!) which literally took me nearly 3 years because I only read a bit at night before going to sleep. It was a pretty good (if long-winded) series, but I much preferred his Commonwealth Saga and Void Trilogy (listened to both as audio books). All Hamilton's books have multiple intertwined plots and many interesting, well developed, likeable characters. Plus BIG SPACE DRAMA and lots of conflict at all scales! Which I love when it is done well.

Current bedtime reading is back to Game of Thrones Book 5. I'm about half way through, reading on iPad. At this point, I'm slightly bored but not enough to quit reading. Also I keep hoping that more about my favourite character Arya will be offered.

In the studio or out walking/driving, I'm listening to The Girl Who Played With Fire (second in Steig Larsson's Millennium Trilogy) and have the third book queued up. Such an excellent, excellent series...I am going to hate it when that third book ends. I admire the character Lisbeth Salander so much. The first book (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) was a by far better than the movie. I don't think I would have like the movie without having read the book.

Recently I listened to Endymion by Dan Simmons and now I want to listen to all four Hyperion series books from start to finish...in the right sequence :P

I prefer audio books over actual reading; good narrators can bring so much to the story. Plus I can do other stuff while listening. It's hard to set aside time just for reading--usually 15-20 minutes before bed is about all I can usually cram into my day.

Night's Dawn was good, but the ending was almost as bad as ME3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolin View Post
    Halfway through Water Sleeps and to be followed by Soldiers Live
    Glen cook should really write more.

Quote Originally Posted by balistic void View Post
    Night's Dawn was good, but the ending was almost as bad as ME3.
    Agreed, bit of an underwhelming finish after such a long buildup.

finished "The Fall of Hyperion" (2nd book of Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos) recently. Still pondering whether i should go on with pt.3 Endymion next or wait a bit with that :P (got sidetracked by ME3 ;D)

P.S.: lol yes, Nights dawn ending is kinda as wishy washy as ME3's :P

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Griffin View Post
    Can anyone recommend some bad books? As in, utterly horrible, wish-you-hadn't-bothered pieces of trash? Not just something you didn't like, but just plain bad with no redeeming qualities.
    Dale Brown's later books.

Flight of the Old Dog was awesome, and it went steadily downhill after that point. Unfortunately, he wrote so much stuff that his writing is truly terrible now.

Oh and obligatory James Patterson, but everyone knows that James Patterson is actually a self-aware AI that shits out generic books perfectly focussed at some sort of demographic that always sell well.
    She did what?

Personally I thought too much of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo read like Larsson masturbating furiously over what a brilliant super journalist & woman magnet his alter ego Blomkvist is, especially the epilogue. I liked that the (Swedish. I haven't seen the US version yet) movie cut out some of the excesses of that. The Girl Who Played With Fire manages to be even more absurd plotwise, but somehow stays on the right side of ridiculous to be enjoyable rather than insulting. Also haven't read Hornets Nest yet. It is the thickest of the 3 books, & frankly that leads me to suspect it's the one where Larsson's inner editor gave way to his megalomania. Assuming his wife didn't write them all, that is.

Moderator Moderator F*** My Aunt Rita's Avatar
    Whereever particular mexicans congregate.
    I recently reread The Fall of Berlin.

I just re-read (Charles Stross) Singularity Sky, re-reading Iron Sunrise next. Then I'll probably get off of my arse and buy Accelerando too.

I just completed Crystal Express by Bruce Sterling, which is a collection of his short stories.

I need to get back into the Culture series. I'm about 3 books in, but I got distracted by some mediocre military sci-fi series called Starfist or something.

Re-reading Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising after playing wargame european escalation. not enough hours in the day!

Fuck it ill go read the new dread empire books.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    shadows of the apt

good series, steam fantasy with a good dose of politics/warfare and an intriguing setup

The series is set in a hypothetical universe populated by different kinden. Each kinden is a fictional race of humans, named after (and having certain characteristics of) an insect. Kinden are typically divided into two categories : Apt and Inapt. The Apt do not have magical abilities, but are able to understand, use and design mechanical devices. The Inapt have varying amounts of magical abilities, but cannot use mechanical devices, even those as simple as latches. The series focuses on the attempted conquest of the lowlands by the Wasp-kinden empire.

Can anyone recommend some bad books? As in, utterly horrible, wish-you-hadn't-bothered pieces of trash? Not just something you didn't like, but just plain bad with no redeeming qualities.
    Ulysses by James Joyce.

I read it all the the way to end just to say I had, and I really wish I hadn't bothered.

In my view it's the most over-rated novel in the English language because although it does have some awesomely written sentences Joyce doesn't seem to understand that a novel is more than a collection of sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    I just re-read (Charles Stross) Singularity Sky, re-reading Iron Sunrise next. Then I'll probably get off of my arse and buy Accelerando too.
    I can send it to you, though I warn you, I couldn't get more than 1 or 2 chapters in, it's horrible.
    Coming soon(tm).

<3 Entrox.

Just finished The Act of Creation and have started The Ghost in the Machine. Old (1960s) works but I have always meant to read them.

Quote Originally Posted by F*** My Aunt Rita View Post
    I recently reread The Fall of Berlin.
    Read that a while ago, really enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

XenosisReaper
    Just finished Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy, excellent.

Tempted to start The Girl who Played with Fire or finish the Magician series by Raymond E. Feist.

Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson: The Butlerian Jihad (Legends of Dune, Book 1)
    There are very few books in my life i couldn't read to the end, and this one is one of them. Truly horrible book.
    And note that i'm a HUUUUUGE Dune universe fan, the setting is beyond awesome.
    ingame: AntonioBanderas
    Detecting epic potential, expecting epic fail.
    Ah yes, the fork: The poor man's trident
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer
    I fucking hate Steven Hawking. Smug little faggot with his stupid chariot

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Then I'll probably get off of my arse and buy Accelerando too.
    DO IT FOR GREAT JUSTICE

That is first hard-sci-fi book i've read, thus making it probably one of the best sci-fi books i've read. My mind was literally blown, took me 2 books of cleenex to clean vOv
    ingame: AntonioBanderas
    Detecting epic potential, expecting epic fail.
    Ah yes, the fork: The poor man's trident
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer
    I fucking hate Steven Hawking. Smug little faggot with his stupid chariot

James Joyce's Ulysses is probably one of the best know but never read books there is. I tried years ago and was filled with a burning desire to travel to Joyce's grave so I could piss on it.

If you like the reading equivalent of swimming through cement try Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast series. His writting actually gets better as his mind whithered with Parkinsons.

I have a policy of reading at least one book a year I really don't want to and the worst I have found are fawning biographies of some actor or politican written by an arse-suck.