hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 245 of 246 FirstFirst ... 145195235242243244245246 LastLast
Results 4,881 to 4,900 of 4918

Thread: What are you reading?

i have 2 cousins (british) that work in germany as english->deutsch translators, and they speed things up massively using in house translation software to 'bulk translate' and then go through the text refining it for nuance/rhythm/corrections etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    i have 2 cousins (british) that work in germany as english->deutsch translators, and they speed things up massively using in house translation software to 'bulk translate' and then go through the text refining it for nuance/rhythm/corrections etc.
    Literature or technical translation?

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    hmm I have the windup girl on my bookshelf. Might brush it off and try it.

finished the Deathworlders. Now I'm reading another patreon thing called Tristan's Tale, which seems to be some clive barker-style reality-warping mind-fuck coming of age story. seemsGood.
    Thanks for putting the Deathworlders on my radar, it's a fun read. I've read through Salvage already (or what's out there anyway), on account of it being cross-linked with Deathworlders, and it's a fun easy read. A bit over the top at times, but fun.

Do take a look at the Windup Girl, it's good.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Neal Asher 'The Soldier' is gut!

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    A bit of a late response but this technique is used for both literature and technical translations according to a client I've been working with recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    A bit of a late response but this technique is used for both literature and technical translations according to a client I've been working with recently.
    Does the program keep track of corrections manually inputted and report them back to it's programmers for future editions, I wonder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Since i've had an enormous amount of free time lately, i've finally managed to read the "Chung Kuo" series by David Wingrove.
    That was fantastic, and ludicrously long and detailed. Very Frank Herbert-esque in some ways.

Highly recommended if you like your sci-fi long and old school.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post

Does the program keep track of corrections manually inputted and report them back to it's programmers for future editions, I wonder?
    A lot of the corrections are used to make the writing more 'culturalised' within the context of the translated content, so I don't think that sort of machine learning would be particularly useful due to the huge variation of context for the material being corrected. I wouldn't be surprised if similar programs were attempting it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Has anyone read "Artemis" from Andy Weir (of "The Martian" fame) yet and would like to share her/his impressions?

Re-reading A Civil Campaign which the first time around I didn't like, but to be fair to Ms Bujold, pulling off Wodehousian rom-com properly is insanely difficult, and doing it in a SF theme setting is just double insane. She doesn't quite hit the mark because that kind of nuanced tone is hard, but it's such a high bar to set that even getting fairly close is a huge achievement and makes for an entertaining read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

I've read so much recently that I don't have the patience to post it all, but here's some:

Provenance by Anne Leckie, set in the same universe as the Ancillary Justice series. Very good. Her writing touches on social mores in a very weird surrounding.

The Last Good Man by Linda Nagata. She writes harder stuff than a lot of male writers, and her books are always gritty. This one has a touch of Apocalypse Now in it.

Memory, also by Linda Nagata. Nano grey good plague on a ringworld where the inhabitants don't even know where they come from. Alos bloody excellent.

Tool's War by Paolo Bacigalupi of The Windup Girl and Ship Breaker. Set in the same post global warming Ship Breaker and The Drowned Cities universe, both of which are very, very good, it stars the half wolf, half tiger genetically created soldier, Tool. It's excellent.

The Will to Battle by Ada Palmer, the third in the Terra Ignota series of a world in the far future where people can choose to be part of any country, no matter where they live, and the disaster this brings. It also touches religion and belief or no belief. It's very very well written, purposefully in the style of a novel from the 18th century.

Starfire Trilogy; Red Peace, Shadow Sun Seven and Memory's Blade by Spencer Ellsworth. Simply amazing. This is how Star Wars should have been without all the kiddy crap. It has swords that steal the victim's memory, huge space monsters, space insects, resurrected dead, and unlikely hero becoming The One(tm) as well as a fight between her and a Darth Vader figure, as well as sex, drugs and rock and roll. Simply fucking captivating.

Ack-Ack Macaque by Gareth Powell. A monkey as an unkillable RAF hero in 1940, except he isn't actually, but he's rough, drinks and smokes and joins the other heros in this utterly fucking world within world within world trilogy. Also hilarious and brilliant. Absolutely enjoyable.

Summerland by Hannu Rajaniemi of The Quantum Thief fame. In this book, the dead are very much alive and part of our world, partaking in spy games between the Soviets and Britain in 1938. As usual with Rajaniemi, prepare for some mathematical concepts, but far less than his first series. An extremely good book.

Austral by Paul McAuley. Set in the Antarctic Peninsula that has become livable due to global warming, but is still very cold and hostile with the main character being born genetically tweaked to better handle cold, but whose kind are almost universally treated like shit by the majority normal humans, most of whom are pretty nasty fuckers. I love McAuley's books, even though a lot of people shy away from his endings which are often melancholic and not always "good" in the classical sense. I read that his wife died of cancer last year, and I think I can see some of the sadness and grief in this novel. But damn, I loved it. Very human.

I'm now busy reading Revenant Gun by Yoo Ha Lee, the third in her utterly weird Machineries of Empire trilogy. Consider the concept of space drives needing a society to stick to a rigid calendar to work, and that the calendar has dates on which people are ritually tortured to death for being heretics. It's weird as fuck, but brilliant. Really enjoyable.

Artemis by Andy Weir. I didn't like this very much. Too much of it was just too implausible for someone who claims to write hard sf and the characters and the society were just too shallow.

I read a lot of other stuff as well, but which I won't mention here because I didn't like the it much for various reasons.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Has anyone read "Artemis" from Andy Weir (of "The Martian" fame) yet and would like to share her/his impressions?
    It was okay. I thought he was a bit sloppy with the characterisation; more thumbnail sketches than real people. Perhaps it's the 1st person POV though.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post

Ack-Ack Macaque by Gareth Powell. A monkey as an unkillable RAF hero in 1940, except he isn't actually, but he's rough, drinks and smokes and joins the other heros in this utterly fucking world within world within world trilogy. Also hilarious and brilliant. Absolutely enjoyable.
    By an insane coincidence I saw this in the window of a charity shop on my way home. Purchased for perusal tomorrow. Looks like it's 2nd or 3rd in a series?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Just finished reading Bill Gates Snr's book, "Showing up for life", feels like something I'll want to read again once I'm starting a family. Felt like those chats you would have with your grandfather, but in book form. Decent read.

Started on "John dies at the end", hardly a chapter in and already loving it.

I also read "A Man called Ove" and finished it a few weeks back, it was a little heartwarming Scandinavian story, if you've ever read "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared" it feels very similar to it. Nice read, quite light with one or two serious points. Story of a grumpy old man being grumpy and the world teaching him to love again.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post

By an insane coincidence I saw this in the window of a charity shop on my way home. Purchased for perusal tomorrow. Looks like it's 2nd or 3rd in a series?
    It's a trilogy. I got it on Kindle because lazy.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Been reading the latest from Brian McClellan, God's of blood and power series. Really really good.
    Now reading the previous The powder mage series.

Really well written and very interesting magic system. Highly recommended.

I'm reading Ra by Steve Hughes. It's free. And really quite good. Reminiscent of Anathem but set in a modern world with magic that's apparently quantifiable and subject to scientific analysis. The 'apparently' is where it gets interesting.

It was written as essentially a web serial, so each chapter is a touch disconnected from the next. Notable but not annoying.

https://qntm.org/ra

new series by Miles Cameron as excellent as his previous work. 1st book is called Cold Iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmoore View Post
    new series by Miles Cameron as excellent as his previous work. 1st book is called Cold Iron.
    Ooh. +rep, I really liked his other stuff.

Started on Frank Herbert's Dune triology, must be a decade since I read it.
    Found a nice leather bound hardcover edition with the whole trilogy in it.

This time I'm using the appendix religiously.