hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 244 of 245 FirstFirst ... 144194234241242243244245 LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,880 of 4897

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaftoes View Post
    Just finished the player of games by Ian Banks

Great book. Slow start but I was hooked by the end.
    F

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    I am reading Humans Fuck Yeah fanfic from reddit and it's better than anything David Weber wrote.
    Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

some of it's ok
    HH got worse as it went along, to the point where I wasn't even sure whether I was reading fanfic or not.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

HH?

After a long reading hiatus caused by life, went back and redevoured The Andromeda Strain. It is just as good as the first time. I love re reading stuff because I can go to sleep and continue reading there, otherwise I get the oshit it's 5AM problem.

Peppering around on The War that Ended Peace, fascinating read.

Added The Hot Zone and The Demon in the Freezer because I have anti vaxxer PTSD lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    After a long reading hiatus caused by life, went back and redevoured The Andromeda Strain.
    Is that the book on which that 70ties(?) movie with the same name is based on?

Think I'll probably reread hitchhikers guide series, it's be a few years since I picked it up
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Think I'll probably reread hitchhikers guide series, it's be a few years since I picked it up
    Had the same thought the other day and am currently ploughing through Mostly Harmless.

Praise be to Adams, and to my Dad for getting me into his stuff when I was young.

have been catching up on books i felt i 'should' read.

Wolf Hall. Enjoyed it, it is pretty dull but it's an era I've always been interested in.
    I Cladius / Cladius the God. Loved it and don't know why, because stylistically it's a total mire. Guess it's also just the era.
    Passage to India. Meh, can appreciate it but didn't enjoy it.
    Fahrenheit 451. Didn't really do anything for me, found the message too clunky and simplistic.

Reading necronomicon atm, which is just irritating me and may be the only instance i've ever encountered of it being better to listen to the audiobook. I only picked it up after hearing a snippet with a narrator with a really deep old fashioned voice, which suits it perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    I only picked it up after hearing a snippet with a narrator with a really deep old fashioned voice, which suits it perfectly.
    Wayne June of Darkest Dungeon fame by any chance? He has a series of Lovecraft audiobooks and they're orgasmic.

If you liked Neuromancer or any Gibson book tbh, then The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi is extremely good. For a debut novel it is astounding. The world building is

For current affairs stuff, I just finished reading Constitutional Cliffhangers: A Legal Guide for Presidents and Their Enemies which, whilst written some years back, is extremely topical and a very accessible lawsplainer about - possible impending - constitutional crises.
    Last edited by Rami; June 19 2018 at 12:13:27 PM.

hmm I have the windup girl on my bookshelf. Might brush it off and try it.

finished the Deathworlders. Now I'm reading another patreon thing called Tristan's Tale, which seems to be some clive barker-style reality-warping mind-fuck coming of age story. seemsGood.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Can confirm Paolo Bagliopucci is very good.

Also recommend Ian MacDonald's Dervish House and River of Gods for non-western centric SF of a Windup Girl vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    If you liked Neuromancer or any Gibson book tbh, then The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi is extremely good. For a debut novel it is astounding. The world building is
    For a strange reason, I had a hard time enjoying The Windup Girl*). I can't even tell what exactly made me feel so. And I do like the Neuromancer trilogy.

*) Whose German title is for whatever reason "Biokrieg" = "Bio war"

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    For a strange reason, I had a hard time enjoying The Windup Girl*). I can't even tell what exactly made me feel so. And I do like the Neuromancer trilogy.

Maybe a shitty translation?
    nevar forget

Just finished American Gods. Unfortunately it was littered with grammatical errors which made the whole exercise hard work - a good story, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

Yeah this, I always wonder how people carry over the nuances when translating, it's got to be hard.

Yeah this, I always wonder how people carry over the nuances when translating, it's got to be hard.
    Amazon has recently started offering a lot of Chinese translations in its scifi fantasy books.
    The translations for some feel like they have been just put through Google translate.
    a chinese translation Reincarnation of the strongest sword god , the translation is really really bad. Its still a good read but if it had been done properly would have made it a great read.
    I do like the translation of the authors names though such as "fast food restaurant" " lucky old cat".

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Translating, especially to a very very different language like english to chinese or japanese or sth like that is a colossal pain in the ass and nothing but compromises pmuch.

You can go more for feeling or for accuracy in the meaning and it's never perfect, sadly.

Big thing i've learned studying languages for a while has been how even if a word technically has a direct translation and is even used in the exact same sort of situations it might often have a slightly different note or connotation to it it's really hard to get without some extensive cultural knowledge and absorbtion. It's messy.

Well due to the fact that we translate everything (movies get full dubs etc) we have a lot of very capable translators working for publishers. I see a lot of sloppy translations in movies and TV shows (more so with the latter).

When you translate something, you have the choice between staying close to rhythm, imagery or vocabulary (and more). Depending who and what you translate, you stick to one of those up to the point of disregarding the other. Either way one decides, it is an arduous task. When we had to do it at uni, we spent about two hours with a single page text (FYI we were all fluent in both languages on an academic level at the time).
    nevar forget