hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 245 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Liminal States by Zack Parson.

There's a taster serial for it here: http://liminalstates.com/serial.htm

I travel many places. I become many things. I do not succumb to the will of the water, to the will of this unnatural Mother. I continue, determined.

I am reificant.

I am crystalline, one in a chiming field that moves by mineral expansion, communicating by tone. As old as any living thing, but with fleeting memories. I cannot stop the water. I cannot stop the crashing sea that reduces me to nothing.

I dwell in the sky, in a coven of my kind, red-crested and brilliant. Spiraling, chattering, through phosphorescent clouds and above undulating fields of scarlet bacteria. This language is difficult. I am slow to learn. I tell my coven but it is too late. The earth is cracking, the mountains exposing their marrow of fire. I can only witness an ending.

Again and again. I will not be stopped. I am aeroplankton, cohering mind of a moment. I am a starving beast of the muck. Hate-filled until the water drowns me. I climb the continent tree. I can only watch as it is consumed by fire.

I cling to my memories. I retain my will. I am reificant. I will not be stopped.
    She did what?

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Takon Orlani View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec View Post
    Frank Herbert's dune, I am about 2/3 through the book by now.
    Does it live up to the hype?

I have a book of HP Lovecraft that I randomly crack open every now and then. Re-animator, stuff like that.
    Frank Herbert's first 3 books are awesome, the next 3 are less awesome but good reads (he wrote 6 total). His son Brian Herbert wrote a bunch of stuff, most of which is really shit. HOWEVER, the first 6 were compiled from Frank Herbert's notes and they are actually good as they tie the series together pretty well.

I was looking into the dune series as well, thanks to this thread I'll be picking them up soon..or should I say looking through second hand bookshops for it soon

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Somehow despite being obsessed with sci-fi and spaceship games I had not read any of the Honor Harrington books before. Almost as bad as not having read Dune tbh... http://honorverse.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Anyways, torrented them all in ebook format and plonked them onto asus tablet. Been reading them for the last few months now and am loving it. On book 10.5 now! First time I have read any full books in electronic format, but have now gotten into the habit. Tablet has years of reading material on it, which I will steadily be munching through while on business trips etc.

The first book can be downloaded for free (legally!): http://www.baenebooks.com/p-304-on-b...k-station.aspx Is very military scifi, kinda like Patrick Robinson stuff but with spaceships.
    Last edited by balistic void; April 1 2012 at 09:22:29 PM.

Making golden statues and raising your insurance premiums

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    any thing with sam vimes in it
    http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/i...hp/books/snuff

gutted to think that Pratchett can have not that many books left in him considering he has worsening Alzheimer's..

Another book that I just read was http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abarat-Absol.../dp/0060291710 the 3rd (of 4 possibly 5) book in the Abarat series that Barker has done the books are actually quite good in a quirky sort of way.

Asimov, Foundation 1 (going through them all).

Currently reading Ciaphas Cain novels.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciaphas_Cain

Then onto the Dark Tower series.

Two Years Before the Mast by Henry Dana Jr.
    http://www.amazon.com/Two-Years-Befo.../dp/0375757945

In the mold of Robinson Crusoe, but better.

also everyone should read the Autobiography of Mark Twain, jesus christ that man is funny as hell. finally came out after 100 years last year

Journey to Ixtlan by Carlos Casteneda, a book about shamanism. May or not be fictional, it's really incidental to what the book presents.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_Ixtlan

Also Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy because movie.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker,...,_Soldier,_Spy

Also The Warrior Within, actually a quote from this book got me into Journey to Ixtlan.

The Happiest Refugee. It's surprisingly good.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

High Rise by JG Ballard.

Like many of Ballard's books it deals with middle-class professionals coping with modern life by adopting primitive/criminal/immoral behaviour. This time the action is set in a swanky high-rise apartment block that descends into anarchy.

It's not as polished as some of his other works, but very readable nonetheless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Rise

He methodically basted the dark skin of the Alsatian, which he had stuffed with garlic and herbs.
    "One rule in life", he murmured to himself. "If you can smell garlic, everything is all right"
    Last edited by Rodj Blake; April 2 2012 at 09:15:10 AM.

Movember 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Asimov, Foundation 1 (going through them all).
    You're in for some treats. Foundation series is one that I wish I could read again anew, as if it were the first time I were experiencing it.

Donor
    I recently finished Ravensong: A Natural and Fabulous History of Ravens and Crows. The first half of the book delves into Raven and Crow mythology from a Native American perspective. The chosen stories are among the more popular stories about these two birds, and they're well written and entertaining. The second half of the book is more scientific in nature, going into the social structures, puzzle solving capabilities, and life cycles of the animals.

Recommended if you enjoy mythology, spirituality, or ornithology.

Sideshow. A collection of thoughts by an Australian politician on the shenanigans performed by media and politicians and how it all adds up to being worse for everyone in general. Not a very well written book but it holds its own for the anedcotes he put in it. Like this one.
    The need to quell a story can prevail over the capacity to pursue simple truth or a superior argument.

Shortly after I became a minister, I had a strange experience that underlines this point. My secretary drove me to an appointment at a government building in Canberra and dropped me off in an entirely empty carpark behind it. I was reading my files, and paying no attention. She stopped the car, I got out, and she drove away. Unfortunately as she stopped, about a quarter of the car was intruding into a disabled parking space. As luck would have it, a News Ltd. photographer was present, and he dutifully took a photo. Within an hour, a News Ltd. journalist was seeking a response from my office to the claim that I had parked illegally in a disabled parking spot.

As I discussed the problem with my staff, I discovered that my secretary was eligible for a disabled parking permit, but hadn't yet applied for one.

So I was about to be attacked in the media for the fact that the car dropping me off had partly occupied a disabled parking spot in an empty carpark for about five seconds, even though I was completely unaware of it and the driver was eligible for a disabled parking permit.

Nevertheless, my media advisor very quickly disabused me of the idea that I should defend my innocence. As he pointed out, the News Ltd. tabloids would then turn the story into one of claim and counter-claim, demands for apology, and possibly even run it over several days. No matter how innocent I was, they would always be able to find an outraged representative of a disability organisation to condemn me, and keep the story running. So I apologised and promised to be more vigilant in the future. The story ran with a very large photo, but only on one day...

Quote Originally Posted by LoudSpeakly View Post
    Sideshow. A collection of thoughts by an Australian politician on the shenanigans performed by media and politicians and how it all adds up to being worse for everyone in general. Not a very well written book but it holds its own for the anedcotes he put in it. Like this one.
    The need to quell a story can prevail over the capacity to pursue simple truth or a superior argument.

Shortly after I became a minister, I had a strange experience that underlines this point. My secretary drove me to an appointment at a government building in Canberra and dropped me off in an entirely empty carpark behind it. I was reading my files, and paying no attention. She stopped the car, I got out, and she drove away. Unfortunately as she stopped, about a quarter of the car was intruding into a disabled parking space. As luck would have it, a News Ltd. photographer was present, and he dutifully took a photo. Within an hour, a News Ltd. journalist was seeking a response from my office to the claim that I had parked illegally in a disabled parking spot.

As I discussed the problem with my staff, I discovered that my secretary was eligible for a disabled parking permit, but hadn't yet applied for one.

So I was about to be attacked in the media for the fact that the car dropping me off had partly occupied a disabled parking spot in an empty carpark for about five seconds, even though I was completely unaware of it and the driver was eligible for a disabled parking permit.

Nevertheless, my media advisor very quickly disabused me of the idea that I should defend my innocence. As he pointed out, the News Ltd. tabloids would then turn the story into one of claim and counter-claim, demands for apology, and possibly even run it over several days. No matter how innocent I was, they would always be able to find an outraged representative of a disability organisation to condemn me, and keep the story running. So I apologised and promised to be more vigilant in the future. The story ran with a very large photo, but only on one day...
    I call bullshit. There's no such thing as an empty carpark in Canberra. Still the story does sum up the political reporting in this country.

I'm just starting Dracula, nice little hard cover with gold edged pages and a ribbon for a bookmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolin View Post
    Halfway through Water Sleeps and to be followed by Soldiers Live
    Actually reading the same thing and next book is also gonna be soldiers.
    Psychedelic Jesus.

On my Samsung Galaxy: The Origin of Species - Charles Darwin
    On my Kindle: On suffering - Schoppenhauer
    On the toilet: Wheel of Time vol7 - Robert Jordan
    Paper: uni books

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

Yes it's a HP fanfic. Wait! Don't touch that rep button!

The idea is Harry was fostered with scientist parents, Petunia married a professor. He goes about trying to understand magic and achieve his goals with careful planning and thinking ahead. It's quite fun, and figuring out what the clever plans are is half the game.

http://hpmor.com/

Observation:

Wizardry isn't as powerful now as it was when Hogwarts was founded.

Hypotheses:

1. Magic itself is fading.
    2. Wizards are interbreeding with Muggles and Squibs.
    3. Knowledge to cast powerful spells is being lost.
    4. Wizards are eating the wrong foods as children, or something else besides blood is making them grow up weaker.
    5. Muggle technology is interfering with magic. (Since 800 years ago?)
    6. Stronger wizards are having fewer children. (Draco = only child? Check if 3 powerful wizards, Quirrell / Dumbledore / Dark Lord, had any children.)

Donor
    Can anyone recommend some bad books? As in, utterly horrible, wish-you-hadn't-bothered pieces of trash? Not just something you didn't like, but just plain bad with no redeeming qualities.