hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 248 of 252 FirstFirst ... 148198238245246247248249250251 ... LastLast
Results 4,941 to 4,960 of 5024

Thread: What are you reading?

Struggling with but enjoying reading China Meville's book on the Russian Revolution: October.
    Never really known much about the RR so it's very illuminating, and absolutely horrifying at the same time.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Struggling with but enjoying reading China Meville's book on the Russian Revolution: October.
    Never really known much about the RR so it's very illuminating, and absolutely horrifying at the same time.
    And then things somehow got even worse. As it the way with Russian history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    And then things somehow got even worse. As it the way with Russian history.
    It's late August. It's all about to hit the fan and i'm slightly scared
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Arnold Schwarzenegger: Total Recall
    Nothing too surprising, but didn't know he was so business-wise/into real estate right after getting into the US. I found the first half was more interesting than the politics/governor stuff in the end.

D-Day Through German Eyes
    Short but very detailed recaps from the German soldiers in Normandy on D-Day. Rather captive stories about uncertainty, hopeless fighting, and how thin the line is between life and death.

Just finished "Salvation" by Peter F Hamilton, good fun, standard PFH fare looking forward to the next one.

Now on Richard Morgan's "Thin Air", again nothing to surprising here, feels very familiar if youve read the Altered carbon trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Bought the latest Stephen King book for xmas, and enjoying it tbfh.

phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

Done

Not very long, certainly not original, but I enjoyed it. New (focus) character introduced was a trope, too but written well enough imo.

Definitely not as epic and did not grip me like the previous books though.

edit: Wouldn't recommend to buy in the end
    Last edited by FatFreddy; January 2 2019 at 08:59:24 PM.

For the eighth time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Has anyone read Philip Roth' 2004 published book The Plot against America?

From the description, this seems eerie prophetic and therefore sounds like a promising read. But as I haven't read anything from Philip Roth yet (though I know the name), I wonder if it's an OK book. I'm asking, because having a decent premise doesn't make a good book, as we all know.
    I found it a really great book. The title is a bit misleading as it focus is on small folk mostly.

Should read again. The new Hamilton is out so that one first.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Can anyone recommend a good book on the beginning of WW2? Specifically the invasions of Poland, Holland, Belgium, and France. I've looked on Amazon a bunch and haven't really found anything reputable looking.

Quote Originally Posted by I Legionnaire View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good book on the beginning of WW2? Specifically the invasions of Poland, Holland, Belgium, and France. I've looked on Amazon a bunch and haven't really found anything reputable looking.

I enjoyed Blitzkrieg by Len Deighton. Haven't read it recently and probably slightly outdated (I read it in 2001/2002) but very accessible.

Follow it up with John Mosier's 'The Blitzkrieg Myth' for an alternative view to Deighton's.

I stayed up all night reading Mrs Dalloway. The prose is absolutely superb, and the way the narration flicks around from character to character really lets the story tear along. It's not the most inventive modernist book I've read, but for sheer quality it's up there. As I started it I was just in love with the way Woolf wrote, as the story got towards the final third I was getting a little tired of the meandering, but then it changes gear entirely when the main event of the story happens, and the twin threads running through it come together.

While it may not be the most striking book when it comes to the experimental, it is definitely one of the most accomplished books I've read. Highly recommended, and it's a relatively cheap buy too seeing as it's short(ish).

I've been reading the Mapp and Lucia series by Robert Benson at work while it's been quiet, along with other offerings from Gutenberg.org. I have nothing in common with any of the characters but I can't stop reading about their absurdly trivial neuroses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Breakers View Post
    Just finished "Salvation" by Peter F Hamilton, good fun, standard PFH fare looking forward to the next one.

Now on Richard Morgan's "Thin Air", again nothing to surprising here, feels very familiar if youve read the Altered carbon trilogy
    Be nice if he’d stop dicking around and continue night’s dawn.

I'm currently having entirely too much fun reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality fanfic, set in an alternate universe where Harry's guardian married a biochemist.

"Now, just to be clear," Harry said, "if the professor does levitate you, Dad, when you know you haven't been attached to any wires, that's going to be sufficient evidence. You're not going to turn around and say that it's a magician's trick. That wouldn't be fair play. If you feel that way, you should say so now, and we can figure out a different experiment instead."

Harry's father, Professor Michael Verres-Evans, rolled his eyes. "Yes, Harry."

"And you, Mum, your theory says that the professor should be able to do this, and if that doesn't happen, you'll admit you're mistaken. Nothing about how magic doesn't work when people are sceptical of it, or anything like that."

Deputy Headmistress Minerva McGonagall was watching Harry with a bemused expression. She looked quite witchy in her black robes and pointed hat, but when she spoke she sounded formal and Scottish, which didn't go together with the look at all. At first glance she looked like someone who ought to cackle and put babies into cauldrons, but the whole effect was ruined as soon as she opened her mouth. "Is that sufficient, Mr. Potter?" she said. "Shall I go ahead and demonstrate?"

"Sufficient? Probably not," Harry said. "But at least it will help. Go ahead, Deputy Headmistress."

"Just Professor will do," said she, and then, "Wingardium Leviosa."

Harry looked at his father.

"Huh," Harry said.

His father looked back at him. "Huh," his father echoed.
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Yeah that's kinda fun. Interesting too
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Currently reading Cixin Lui's new book 'Ball Lightening', after 'Three Body Problem' being my favourite sci-fi book of whichever year I bought it. Not really getting on well with it though, about halfway through and just kind of bored. I still enjoy having a decent chinese author to read, as the different cultural assumptions and bias make it interesting in its own right, but the story isn't doing much for me.

Also getting my annual 'fantasy' itch again, any good new fantasy out there that's doing aynthing interesting? Last time I browsed every fucking book was described as either 'harry potter meets...' or 'game of thrones meets...'. Maybe that's just publishers being shit at promoting, but i generally find that good original stories don't get advertised as 'hey this is like that other thing!'.