hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 248 of 248 FirstFirst ... 148198238245246247248
Results 4,941 to 4,957 of 4957

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #4941

    Join Date
    May 30, 2011
    Location
    asleep
    Posts
    6,509
    Struggling with but enjoying reading China Meville's book on the Russian Revolution: October.
    Never really known much about the RR so it's very illuminating, and absolutely horrifying at the same time.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

  2. #4942
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    17,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Struggling with but enjoying reading China Meville's book on the Russian Revolution: October.
    Never really known much about the RR so it's very illuminating, and absolutely horrifying at the same time.
    And then things somehow got even worse. As it the way with Russian history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  3. #4943

    Join Date
    May 30, 2011
    Location
    asleep
    Posts
    6,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Struggling with but enjoying reading China Meville's book on the Russian Revolution: October.
    Never really known much about the RR so it's very illuminating, and absolutely horrifying at the same time.
    And then things somehow got even worse. As it the way with Russian history.
    It's late August. It's all about to hit the fan and i'm slightly scared
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

  4. #4944

    Join Date
    May 6, 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,293
    Arnold Schwarzenegger: Total Recall
    Nothing too surprising, but didn't know he was so business-wise/into real estate right after getting into the US. I found the first half was more interesting than the politics/governor stuff in the end.

    D-Day Through German Eyes
    Short but very detailed recaps from the German soldiers in Normandy on D-Day. Rather captive stories about uncertainty, hopeless fighting, and how thin the line is between life and death.

  5. #4945
    Ted Breakers's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23, 2011
    Location
    Babylon E5
    Posts
    1,180
    Just finished "Salvation" by Peter F Hamilton, good fun, standard PFH fare looking forward to the next one.

    Now on Richard Morgan's "Thin Air", again nothing to surprising here, feels very familiar if youve read the Altered carbon trilogy

  6. #4946
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,498
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  7. #4947
    Armyofme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Hull Breach
    Posts
    1,303
    Bought the latest Stephen King book for xmas, and enjoying it tbfh.

    phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

  8. #4948
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,498
    Done

    Not very long, certainly not original, but I enjoyed it. New (focus) character introduced was a trope, too but written well enough imo.

    Definitely not as epic and did not grip me like the previous books though.

    edit: Wouldn't recommend to buy in the end
    Last edited by FatFreddy; January 2 2019 at 09:59:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  9. #4949
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,801


  10. #4950

    Join Date
    January 2, 2019
    Posts
    4


    For the eighth time.

  11. #4951
    Sacul's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Hollandistan
    Posts
    6,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Has anyone read Philip Roth' 2004 published book The Plot against America?

    From the description, this seems eerie prophetic and therefore sounds like a promising read. But as I haven't read anything from Philip Roth yet (though I know the name), I wonder if it's an OK book. I'm asking, because having a decent premise doesn't make a good book, as we all know.
    I found it a really great book. The title is a bit misleading as it focus is on small folk mostly.

    Should read again. The new Hamilton is out so that one first.

    Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    Schopenhauer:

    All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

  12. #4952
    Movember 2012 I Legionnaire's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,766
    Can anyone recommend a good book on the beginning of WW2? Specifically the invasions of Poland, Holland, Belgium, and France. I've looked on Amazon a bunch and haven't really found anything reputable looking.

  13. #4953
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,498
    Quote Originally Posted by I Legionnaire View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good book on the beginning of WW2? Specifically the invasions of Poland, Holland, Belgium, and France. I've looked on Amazon a bunch and haven't really found anything reputable looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  14. #4954
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    6,877
    I enjoyed Blitzkrieg by Len Deighton. Haven't read it recently and probably slightly outdated (I read it in 2001/2002) but very accessible.

    Follow it up with John Mosier's 'The Blitzkrieg Myth' for an alternative view to Deighton's.

  15. #4955
    Mrenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    3,463
    I stayed up all night reading Mrs Dalloway. The prose is absolutely superb, and the way the narration flicks around from character to character really lets the story tear along. It's not the most inventive modernist book I've read, but for sheer quality it's up there. As I started it I was just in love with the way Woolf wrote, as the story got towards the final third I was getting a little tired of the meandering, but then it changes gear entirely when the main event of the story happens, and the twin threads running through it come together.

    While it may not be the most striking book when it comes to the experimental, it is definitely one of the most accomplished books I've read. Highly recommended, and it's a relatively cheap buy too seeing as it's short(ish).

  16. #4956
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    14,864
    I've been reading the Mapp and Lucia series by Robert Benson at work while it's been quiet, along with other offerings from Gutenberg.org. I have nothing in common with any of the characters but I can't stop reading about their absurdly trivial neuroses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

  17. #4957
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Breakers View Post
    Just finished "Salvation" by Peter F Hamilton, good fun, standard PFH fare looking forward to the next one.

    Now on Richard Morgan's "Thin Air", again nothing to surprising here, feels very familiar if youve read the Altered carbon trilogy
    Be nice if he’d stop dicking around and continue night’s dawn.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •