hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 233 of 238 FirstFirst ... 133183223230231232233234235236 ... LastLast
Results 4,641 to 4,660 of 4742

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I wont lie, I'm frankly afraid to read the next two.
    I basically couldn't do the last one, by the time it came out, I had forgotten all the names and places, and it was just a jumble of pretty phases and incomprehensible stakes.

Finally got round to reading brandon sandersons "way of kings". Jesus Christ, the first 10% of this gigantic book was basically prologue after prologue, no idea who the characters where, took a while to get into it, but it was worth it.

Warbreaker is still by favorite sanderson novel, but this series is too big in scope, and potencial to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Europe's tragedy: A new history of the thirty years war
    I enjoyed the first half of this and then got distracted.

The present state of the Middle East is very reminiscent of this period.

Finally started reading a proper book again,

Jean-Michel Guenassia, The Incorrigible Optimists Club

just started reading but I think I can already definitely recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    I basically couldn't do the last one, by the time it came out, I had forgotten all the names and places, and it was just a jumble of pretty phases and incomprehensible stakes.

Finally got round to reading brandon sandersons "way of kings". Jesus Christ, the first 10% of this gigantic book was basically prologue after prologue, no idea who the characters where, took a while to get into it, but it was worth it.

Warbreaker is still by favorite sanderson novel, but this series is too big in scope, and potencial to ignore.
    Is that the series he is still writing? Im tempted to wait until its finished to begin reading it, as I'm currently being burned by ASOIAF and KingKiller Chronicles waiting game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post

Warbreaker is still by favorite sanderson novel, but this series is too big in scope, and potential to ignore.
    Is that the series he is still writing? Im tempted to wait until its finished to begin reading it, as I'm currently being burned by ASOIAF and KingKiller Chronicles waiting game.
    The stormlight archives is a 10 series book released once every 2 years, with the 3rd installment out in november. So, maybe, 2031 for the final installment?

Warbreaker is still by favorite sanderson novel, but this series is too big in scope, and potential to ignore.
    The stormlight archives is a 10 series book released once every 2 years, with the 3rd installment out in november. So, maybe, 2031 for the final installment?

Oh Jesus, another author to hope that he doesn't die before finishing his magnum opus.

Oh Jesus, another author to hope that he doesn't die before finishing his magnum opus.
    He's only 41, and pretty prolific, finished the ridiculusly huge wheel of time series, so he's got a good track record. No where near rothfuss levels of procrastination AND UNLIKE KINGKILLER, every book has a satisfying ending so far.

He's only 41, and pretty prolific, finished the ridiculusly huge wheel of time series, so he's got a good track record. No where near rothfuss levels of procrastination AND UNLIKE KINGKILLER, every book has a satisfying ending so far.
    Also...
    http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/20...s-cosmere.html
    Brandon Sanderson's latest fantasy novel, Words of Radiance, is out and doing very well, topping the New York Times bestseller list and hitting #2 on the UK's Sunday Times list. The novel is the second book of ten planned in The Stormlight Archive series, but it is less well-known that it is also the eighth novel in his Cosmere setting, which will eventually total over 40 novels.

I really enjoyed the Mistborn books, they weren't super intense or anything, but they were a really enjoyable read. Maybe I should pick up the Stormlight book 1.

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Out of all the books I've read, I can honestly say I enjoy Brandon Sanderson's works the most and I hate him for making me so hooked to his work.

For the longest time, I figured he was just another airport book store fantasy author, then I sat down and actually read some of his stuff and I got hooked. I think I went through the entire Mistborn trilogy in under a month. He isn't flashy or anything, but he just has a way of hooking you in through genuinely good writing.

Finished "Stations of the Tide". This was a very difficult book to rate, and even several days after I still am not entirely sure how to explain it. So much of the experience is being throw into the world with zero exposition and, bit by bit, having a larger picture built before you.

I ended up giving it a 4/5, Charles Stross gave it 5/5. It definitely has some similarities with Stross' works, lot of emphasis on events pushing forward with details teasingly metered out as you progress.

Now on to "The King in Yellow", a collection of short horror stories from the late 1800s. If you've read any Lovecraft you'll be familiar with the style, though Chambers doesn't go in for quite as much eldritch, cyclopean, etc.
    Last edited by Dahak; February 22 2017 at 03:12:53 PM.

Finished "World War Cthulhu", a collection of shorts in Lovecraft's universe where his various monsters and factions exist. It's a bunch of short stories by a variety of authors, so the quality varied considerably. There were some decent ones that did a good job of developing the horror and there were some that just went all-out with crazy extra-dimensional weaponry. I ended up giving the collection as a whole 3/5. I was hoping for more stuff like Stross' "A Colder War" and I didn't really get it, but what I did get was alright.

Now, on to "In the Shadow of the Sword: The Birth of Islam and the Rise of the Global Arab Empire".
    Last edited by Dahak; March 6 2017 at 05:25:48 PM.

Inspired by all the praise for the movie "Arrival", I've got myself the Ted Chiang short story collection which includes "The Story of my Life", upon which the movie is based.

I hadn't done any research and thought all stories were SciFi stories, which they're not. I'm not even sure if there's an English term for that kind of literature, in German it's called "Phantastik". Think of Outer Limits-like "weird" stories. That's plots which have some SciFi/horror/fatansy (or a combination thereof) touch.

As for the stories themselves: I applaud the person who could see a potential movie hit in "The Story of my Life" and turned it into what seems to be a very good movie script - I really couldn't. Even in hindsight. It's an OK'ish story, the idea for the main topic is interesting, but to me it didn't feel like something groundbreaking. For me, it lacks any kind of tension building. And I'm not talking about 'xplosions action! here, but any "Oh, now, that's interesting, how will this resolve?" moment.

All other stories follow that impression. I wonder if that's perhaps a case of where translation did kill the spirit of the original works. The German version I've got is by a small publisher, one I've never heard of before and - from the looks of it, it could even be a one-person shop.

Overall I'd give it a 3/5.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Inspired by all the praise for the movie "Arrival", I've got myself the Ted Chiang short story collection which includes "The Story of my Life", upon which the movie is based.

I hadn't done any research and thought all stories were SciFi stories, which they're not. I'm not even sure if there's an English term for that kind of literature, in German it's called "Phantastik". Think of Outer Limits-like "weird" stories. That's plots which have some SciFi/horror/fatansy (or a combination thereof) touch.

As for the stories themselves: I applaud the person who could see a potential movie hit in "The Story of my Life" and turned it into what seems to be a very good movie script - I really couldn't. Even in hindsight. It's an OK'ish story, the idea for the main topic is interesting, but to me it didn't feel like something groundbreaking. For me, it lacks any kind of tension building. And I'm not talking about 'xplosions action! here, but any "Oh, now, that's interesting, how will this resolve?" moment.

All other stories follow that impression. I wonder if that's perhaps a case of where translation did kill the spirit of the original works. The German version I've got is by a small publisher, one I've never heard of before and - from the looks of it, it could even be a one-person shop.

Overall I'd give it a 3/5.
    Chiang is an outstanding writer. He writes thoughtful, sometimes rather subtle stuff that I can easily see getting failed by even a well meaning translation, especially if you were left with a 3/5 feeling from a collection that contains stories like Breathe and Babel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

That's strange that you mention these two. Breathe is the one I probably enjoyed the most, along with Merchant's gate (don't know the real English original title). Whereas Babel left me with a big "So - that's it? What am I supposed to take away from it?".

After realizing that it probably will take another year or so (if at all) until The Expanse makes it to German TV, I decided to start reading the books. I'm still early into the first one, but enjoying it so far. Haven't read some space opera for quite a while and appreciate the "no need to think - just consume" aspect.

Hel Oween. It's literally 'Weird' or 'New-weird' depending on the era.

China Mieville is a good example of 'New Weird'.

Ah, thanks. Good to know. So I was pretty close with my Outer Limits-like "weird" stories description.

Finished In the Shadow of the Sword: The Birth of Islam and the Rise of the Global Arab Empire. I didn't enjoy it much. Unfortunately much of the book is given over to the world before Islam even appears. The author does set it out in the introduction that in order to understand the rise you need to understand the environment it arose in, but so much time is spent on this era of late antiquity between the Romans and the Persians that the actual bits about Islam and the Arabs feels truncated. If you're looking for a somewhat rambling history of Judaism, Zoroastrianism, and Christianity in late antiquity with ~20% of the book about Islam, this is your thing. If you're looking for what the title implies, look elsewhere.

So, since my interest in a history book was not sated, on to Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal. I'm less than 100 pages in but thus far the USN is not looking very good.